2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have haphazardly connected things to my vehicle twice now and luckily they have only blown a fuse once and destroyed the thing I connected the other time, instead of something on my vehicle like shorting the battery or a module or melting some wiring. I recommend looking at wiring diagrams before attempting anything.

When tapping into existing wiring, some of that stuff doesn't have the same protections as outlets since the consumer isn't meant to be messing with that.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Brought to you by the infamous sqenixs laboratory!!! I think you just like talking stuff apart...You need a project car!!!
giphy (4).gif

·
Registered
130 Posts
DMM are a must when going near any wiring, even when you have a wiring diagram. Also as another PSA be very careful of any wires in a yellow or pink sleeves. These are airbag system wiring, and a wrong tap or poke can easily set them off.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is why I ALWAYS wire accessories independently from the vehicle wiring. IF I have to tap into vehicle wiring, I protect the wiring with diodes. These new computer laden vehicles these days, you have to protect what you do or it will cost big $$$.

AK4wheeler

1 - 4 of 4 Posts