2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was curious to how many of you power wash your Cherokee’s as opposed to hand washing. I traditionally would do everything by hand, but with my back injury I find myself not able to dedicate the time as I once did.

that being said I have a new 2021 spitfire TH which color isn’t so much metallic as other colors. I’d just assume it will easily show swirl marks on this color. So I’m lookin at purchasing a power washer just mainly to wash the car, and maybe some minor things like lawn furniture or siding.

Can anybody give me some feedback on any pros or cons on power washing as opposed to hand washing? Lastly if you do power wash can you recommend a brand/model to me.

Happy New Years Jeepers!!!

PS I love the white lettering on the TH tires. I noticed some areas look faded even ona new Jeep. Is the white molded into the rubber or does it rub off? Dumb question I know, just looking for ways to maintain it and make them pop.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
648 Posts
The white is molded in... I've always used kitchen S.O.S Soap Pads to clean them, then rinse it off during the wash...

·
Registered
771 Posts
If you are going to power wash, make sure you are using a low-pressure power washer! I occasionally use a 1600 PSI wash and it seems about right. Not so powerful as to blast chips of paint off, but powerful enough to get dried mud off. I also use lambswool mitt and usually use a baby shampoo and vinegar mix for soap. I never use a chamois, but sometimes use an extra-fine microfiber cloth. I've seen recommendations against microfibre, but for me - so far, so good. When I'm really lazy (which is most of the time), I take the KL to a touchless car wash. The pressure is about the same as my low-pressure power washer.

I have a 3200 PSI power washer that I've used to blast paint off of metal. I certainly wouldn't use that for any vehicle I wasn't planning on repainting.

With the low-pressure unit, I have a deionizing filter for the final rinse. Don't need to dry off, even with Arizona hard water! I mostly use it for the RV so I don't have to spend a lot of time drying, but it works pretty well on the car if I'm in a hurry (and/or lazy, but not so lazy as to take it to the car wash).

White tire lettering is quite resilient, but not bullet-proof. Scuffs usually clean up OK, but a hard-core scrape against a rock will likely leave a permanent impression.

Reactions: DeanS and semper731

·
Registered
371 Posts
As a detailer here is what I do (and 99% of detailers do)
Power rinse off any lose debris.
Spray down car with a foam cannon to let sit and break up the grim.
Use the 2 bucket method to wash with a good microfiber wash mitt.
Power rinse.

You want a power washer that is around 2GPM at 1600-1900 PSI

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys! So is there any advantage for Gas over Electric? I hear if you plan on using a foam canon that anything below 2000 PSI is just not up to par.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! So is there any advantage for Gas over Electric? I hear if you plan on using a foam canon that anything below 2000 PSI is just not up to par.
Electric will be quieter and if you have a outlet nearby then id go with that. If you plan on using it around the property were outlet may be hard to come by might look into gas.

Where you get the idea 2000psi is not up to par? IF anything the GPM is going to be more important then PSI. If you can find a unit that does close to 2gpm and at between 1600-2000psi you are set. the trick with foam cannons is finding the right orifice, even the right soap some foam better then others.

Edited to add: Anything over 2000 psi can actually damage the paint.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after much debate and binge watching reviews from Obsessed Garage I decided to go with this: Karcher K1700 Electric Power Pressure Washer 1700 PSI TruPressure, 3-Year Warranty, Turbo Nozzle Included,Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N20PROC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Sug-FbZCFN8Q5

I do wish it had a higher GPM, but it can be tweaked, and get the job done. I plan on getting a different gun/wand but nothing crazy in price. Then of course a foam cannon and add a 1.1mm Orifice to it. Oh, and a new hose of course cause it seems the one that comes is nothing short of “German Kinky”. If anybody has some recommendations for mid-low priced accessories mentioned above id love to hear them.

TH is set to get Ceramic Pro Silver done in March so this will make washing so much

Btw if anybody is interested in some really in-depth reviews of pretty much every pressure washer def check out Obsessed Garage on YouTube. OCD at its best, and had enough detail and specs to tell me what I wanted to know.

Thanks for all the help, and advice.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Well after much debate and binge watching reviews from Obsessed Garage I decided to go with this: Karcher K1700 Electric Power Pressure Washer 1700 PSI TruPressure, 3-Year Warranty, Turbo Nozzle Included,Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N20PROC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Sug-FbZCFN8Q5

I do wish it had a higher GPM, but it can be tweaked, and get the job done. I plan on getting a different gun/wand but nothing crazy in price. Then of course a foam cannon and add a 1.1mm Orifice to it. Oh, and a new hose of course cause it seems the one that comes is nothing short of “German Kinky”. If anybody has some recommendations for mid-low priced accessories mentioned above id love to hear them.

TH is set to get Ceramic Pro Silver done in March so this will make washing so much

Btw if anybody is interested in some really in-depth reviews of pretty much every pressure washer def check out Obsessed Garage on YouTube. OCD at its best, and had enough detail and specs to tell me what I wanted to know.

Thanks for all the help, and advice.
That is the pressure washer I bought a few years ago. When I saw that Matt was going through pressure washers, I was bracing myself for what he would say when he got to the cube, but imagine my surprise when he almost liked it!

I've been happy with it so far. I need to get a better hose for it, the 50ft hose I got off Amazon is just as bad as the OE one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I never thought about using a pressure washer. But it's interesting how careful we have to be washing a jeep. And Jeep Owner support video I just watched says to Avoid automatic car washes that use acidic solutions. Even if you go to a touchless car wash, how would you know what solutions they use?

It says To clean your wheels safely:
  • Use a soft cloth with mild pH-neutral soap and water
  • This will maintain luster and prevent corrosion
  • Wash the wheels with the same soap solution used on the vehicle’s body
  • Rinse well
This 2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk came with 17–Inch x 7.5–Inch Black Painted Aluminum Wheels.

It says To clean Black Satin chrome wheels:
  • Do not use any wheel cleaning products whatsoever
  • Mild soap and water with a soft cloth are best
  • Do this on a regular basis
Well I guess I will empty out the garage and start from scratch with cleaning products. I had no idea.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I never thought about using a pressure washer. But it's interesting how careful we have to be washing a jeep. And Jeep Owner support video I just watched says to Avoid automatic car washes that use acidic solutions. Even if you go to a touchless car wash, how would you know what solutions they use?

It says To clean your wheels safely:
  • Use a soft cloth with mild pH-neutral soap and water
  • This will maintain luster and prevent corrosion
  • Wash the wheels with the same soap solution used on the vehicle’s body
  • Rinse well
This 2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk came with 17–Inch x 7.5–Inch Black Painted Aluminum Wheels.

It says To clean Black Satin chrome wheels:
  • Do not use any wheel cleaning products whatsoever
  • Mild soap and water with a soft cloth are best
  • Do this on a regular basis
Well I guess I will empty out the garage and start from scratch with cleaning products. I had no idea.
As far as cleaning the wheels. You can use a NON ACID wheel and tire cleaner like Meguires D14301(diluted) or in their ready to use bottle, or something like P&S BrakeBuster.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As far as cleaning the wheels. You can use a NON ACID wheel and tire cleaner like Meguires D14301(diluted) or in their ready to use bottle, or something like P&S BrakeBuster.
I like that, Meguires. Thank you for the brand and actual model.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts