2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read other threads on this forum but haven't found a similar specific issue to mine (maybe not searching correctly). My 2016 Jeep Cherokee North has factory power liftgate and about a month ago the liftgate won't close. It opens and latches just fine, and I'm not getting any error readings on the instrument panel. After the trunk opens just fine I press the button inside the trunk, beside the steering wheel, or on the remote, and the trunk starts closing and moves about 2 inches until it stops and returns back to the full open position. There are no obstructions in the way and this seems to have started happening out of the blue recently (I can't say something specific happened like something obstructing the tailgate).

Other issues noted seem to affect both the open and close, and latching. I tried removing and reinstalling the F50 fuse. Anybody have any thoughts? I'm used to doing my own repairs but haven't owned a vehicle previously with this much gadgetry. The right side lift support should only be assisting on the way up and keeping open, correct? Would I get an error code if I connect to a reader and will it point me to the issue?

The R67 recall is logged as performed via a quick VIN search and this is a very recent problem.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
232 Posts
If the helper lift support is weak it can affect the lift gate closing as well since the motor is looking at closing speed as one factor. If out of bounds parameters will stop. That is what happened on my 2014 KL when my right side helper lift support got weak. Gate would not always close or would reverse during closing. New lift support and all worked normally again. What you don't want to do is burn up the motor with too much stress due to a weak lift support. $500 easy for a new motor lift.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Stick your finger in the locking mechanism of the door.. Jostle around the clasp then try again.. Had to do it many times.. Works everytime.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stick your finger in the locking mechanism of the door.. Jostle around the clasp then try again.. Had to do it many times.. Works everytime.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Is the locking mechanism one of the things that communicates with the liftgate motor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the helper lift support is weak it can affect the lift gate closing as well since the motor is looking at closing speed as one factor. If out of bounds parameters will stop. That is what happened on my 2014 KL when my right side helper lift support got weak. Gate would not always close or would reverse during closing. New lift support and all worked normally again. What you don't want to do is burn up the motor with too much stress due to a weak lift support. $500 easy for a new motor lift.
I just ordered the helper strut, I will report back

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Sometimes the software gets confused.
You seem to have done most of the following already, maybe a double check is in order?
Probably the computer knows the location of the latch.
With the liftgate open can you push a trunk release button and open the latch mechanism?
Try to button on the dash, the trunk area button and the key fob. Hopefully they all work.
I have never had a problem with the gas strut on a Cherokee.
See if there is obvious leakage on the seal where the rod goes into the cylinder.
Prop the tailgate open and remove the gas strut. Determine if it seems to be working correctly.
Check the status of R67. You should have gotten a postcard from FCA if there is a recall.
The easiest way to see if R67 is done is to look at the left strut where it connects to the body.
There is an extra hole nearby. If there is a rubber plug R67 has not been done. If there is a steel bolt installed R67 has been done.
If there is nothing plugging the hole and water is getting in that is a problem.
If you can get to the liftgate module in the trunk see if it has water damage or the connector is corroded.
Take lots of pictures, at least for your own future reference.

Since you like to do your own repairs you should probably get the Hayne's manual, it seems to be helpful and not too expensive.
I keep mine "horsed up" with hints and tips that I have discovered.

And of course check the car battery, that is always my mantra.

And a belated Welcome to the forum. There is lots of helpful information on here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 2016 cherokee limited is doing the same thing it opens fine but closes about 2 inches at a time 2 or 3 times then it shuts down until you manually close it then reopen it, I'm thinking of ordering the helper strut first if that doesn"t work then order the power strut.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
my 2016 cherokee limited is doing the same thing it opens fine but closes about 2 inches at a time 2 or 3 times then it shuts down until you manually close it then reopen it, I'm thinking of ordering the helper strut first if that doesn"t work then order the power strut.
That's what I would do, and you might get lucky. Anytime there is a problem with a power liftgate, on any make of vehicles it is almost always the helper strut, which if you let it go to long, will burn up the electric "screw jack" mechanism. It's not a terrible idea to just change out the $20 helper strut every couple of years, than have to replace the very expensive screw jack side. Those rarely fail if the dampening strut is operating correctly...Keep us posted...😎

Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Hold the lift gate up with a rod, remove the helper gas strut, and see if seems ok.
Then replace the replace the defective part.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Think you are going to have to visit your Jeep dealer.
There may be some kind of synchronizing procedure the dealer can do?
The easy fixes aren't working. This does not seem to be your lucky day.
There is a sensor someplace that prevents the hatch from closing if there is an obstruction. Maybe it has failed?
Report back when you finally resolve your issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sometimes the software gets confused.
You seem to have done most of the following already, maybe a double check is in order?
Probably the computer knows the location of the latch.
With the liftgate open can you push a trunk release button and open the latch mechanism?
Try to button on the dash, the trunk area button and the key fob. Hopefully they all work.
I have never had a problem with the gas strut on a Cherokee.
See if there is obvious leakage on the seal where the rod goes into the cylinder.
Prop the tailgate open and remove the gas strut. Determine if it seems to be working correctly.
Check the status of R67. You should have gotten a postcard from FCA if there is a recall.
The easiest way to see if R67 is done is to look at the left strut where it connects to the body.
There is an extra hole nearby. If there is a rubber plug R67 has not been done. If there is a steel bolt installed R67 has been done.
If there is nothing plugging the hole and water is getting in that is a problem.
If you can get to the liftgate module in the trunk see if it has water damage or the connector is corroded.
Take lots of pictures, at least for your own future reference.

Since you like to do your own repairs you should probably get the Hayne's manual, it seems to be helpful and not too expensive.
I keep mine "horsed up" with hints and tips that I have discovered.

And of course check the car battery, that is always my mantra.

And a belated Welcome to the forum. There is lots of helpful information on here.
Thanks for all the tips! Here's what I can report:

"With the liftgate open can you push a trunk release button and open the latch mechanism?"
- I'm not sure what you mean by this. With the liftgate open I pushed the latch closed on the tailgate. Then I pressed the tailgate opening button on the bottom of the tailgate (still open) and it opened the latch.

"The easiest way to see if R67 is done is to look at the left strut where it connects to the body.
There is an extra hole nearby. If there is a rubber plug R67 has not been done. If there is a steel bolt installed R67 has been done."
- Checked for this an the bolt appears to be there. I also did a VIN check and it appears that my Cherokee had the R67 performed. I'm not the original owner so I can't confirm otherwise. Here are some pics:

"If you can get to the liftgate module in the trunk see if it has water damage or the connector is corroded."
- Are you referencing the latch on the liftgate? Or is the liftgate module just on the inside of the rubber grommet in the picture above?

There seems to be no indication that the power lift piston is compromised other than on the bottom where it connects to the liftgate (shown in the picture below in the open position). This seems more like grime and dirt than rust but it's also causing the finish to come off.

I'll put an order in for the Haynes manual. I used to to have it for an older '97 Corolla but it was a much simpler car and I got lucky so I didn't have to do any major repairs to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think you are going to have to visit your Jeep dealer.
There may be some kind of synchronizing procedure the dealer can do?
The easy fixes aren't working. This does not seem to be your lucky day.
There is a sensor someplace that prevents the hatch from closing if there is an obstruction. Maybe it has failed?
Report back when you finally resolve your issue.
I was thinking the same thing (going to dealership for a diagnosis at least). I'll report back once I have more info.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Need to fix my mis-information:
The recall is R27 not R67. (this statement is NOT correct)
This is a link to the R27 recall instructions: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2015/RCRIT-15V393-6798.pdf
This should answer most of your questions.
Since you have the bolt, R27 was done. Since you have a 2016 the bolt was installed at the factory.
Figure out how to get FCA to send recall notices to you and not the previous owner.
You can also go to Jeep.com and under Owners there is a link to check recalls. (just tried and it doesn't work)
Now I am really confused. There really is a recall R67.
This is the link to the R67 recall instructions: Safety Recall R67 / NHTSA 15V-826 Power Liftgate Module - 2015-2016 Jeep Cherokee | FCA
Both recalls almost say the same thing.
R27 adds the bolt, R67 does not add the bolt.
R27 is applicable to 2014 and 2015 models.
R67 is applicable to 2015 and 2016 models.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts