2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
2021 Trailhawk Elite 3.2
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this on the frame right beside the rear towhook. Anybody else have this? The black paint is flaking off and it looks like rust or at least will start to rust eventually. The car has 3,000 kms. What would you do?

Attachments

Registered
remove bumper, sand off paint & rust, treat with rust-oleum rust reformer, re-paint, re-install bumper ... or as mentioned above see if you can get it repaired under warranty(y)

if it was my old car, out of warranty, I'd just spray some rust-oleum rust reformer in there & fuggedaboutit

Registered
Kinda looks like it was in a wreck.
I would start looking at other things like body panel gaps, missing clips, paint that is not blended or has orange peel.

Premium Member
I noticed this on the frame right beside the rear towhook. Anybody else have this? The black paint is flaking off and it looks like rust or at least will start to rust eventually. The car has 3,000 kms. What would you do?
It will never hurt to talk to the dealer. But if its a painted surface only it will just rust again.
It does look to me that you all ready have a layer of metal rusted away which to me seems unusual for a 2021.
At a minimum they need to look at it.

They will cover rust through from the inside out. That is body panels that are treated at the factory. Its in your corrosion warranty you got with the Cherokee.
Now what you have is exposed untreated painted metal. It is exposed to moisture ect to the point that any chip ect will start the rust process. Just hooking up the the chains/tow straps can cause the paint to be worn off to expose the bare metal.
For example my tow hitch on my 2014 did rust if chipped ect. if the paint is worn away. It did, but I stayed on top of it which required touch up once or 2x a year. Not a big deal.
The receiver area and trailer chain connection points will rust pretty fast in general. The under side of the vehicle will also rust if the factory undercoat/protection gets damaged.

I would just suggest touch up the area with a rust neutralizer and black paint as needed. If any moisture gets through it will rust again. The rust neutralizer will give you a good seal.
The paint will give you a 2nd seal.
Let us know how it comes out.........

Registered
2021 Trailhawk Elite 3.2
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kinda looks like it was in a wreck.
I would start looking at other things like body panel gaps, missing clips, paint that is not blended or has orange peel.
If the dealer sold me a car that was in a wreck with 40 kms on the odometer I have much more to worry about than what's shown in the photos

Registered
2021 Trailhawk Elite 3.2
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In addition to the paint flaking in the photos i've provided, the jeep is going in next week to replace both front struts already, as well as a new hands free liftgate sensor. Not looking good for this one so far even though I love it. ( I haven't nessesarily been babying the car either, but I haven't done anything it's not designed for)

Attachments

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Ya, that's definitely not good!!! I would be buying the Bilstien B6 struts and shocks, and having them install them. How the hell do you wear out the struts on a 2021 Trailhawk??? Mines a 2019, and it's covered almost every trail in Moab multiple times, and still drives as well as it did when it was new...馃馃槑

Registered
Struts needed on a 2021 and rust? All very strange.

I looked at my tow hook area and after 3 MN winters it still looks brand new.

Registered
Struts needed on a 2021 and rust? All very strange.

I looked at my tow hook area and after 3 MN winters it still looks brand new.
Mine too...馃槑

Registered
It will never hurt to talk to the dealer. But if its a painted surface only it will just rust again.
It does look to me that you all ready have a layer of metal rusted away which to me seems unusual for a 2021.
At a minimum they need to look at it.
I am concerned with OP post. I have always purchased new, except for one time, and it was a used Subaru. I knew the Sales man, and he swore it was a single owner and never in a wreak. Months later, I saw some paint was flaking on the drivers door, which the vehicle would still be under manufactures warranty too. Body shop guy said no, this vehicle looks like it was in a T-bone collision or something. The dealer contacted me and said, hey if you have an issue I can get it fixed. So the bottom line was someone at the dealership wreaked it, and they fixed it in house.

You might be onto something when the above poster said maybe it was smashed into. And they just covered it all up.... I hope not.

Registered
2021 Trailhawk Elite 3.2
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya, that's definitely not good!!! I would be buying the Bilstien B6 struts and shocks, and having them install them. How the hell do you wear out the struts on a 2021 Trailhawk??? Mines a 2019, and it's covered almost every trail in Moab multiple times, and still drives as well as it did when it was new...馃馃槑
They deemed it a manufacture defect.

Registered
They deemed it a manufacture defect.
Well that's sure encouraging!!! Did you ask them what else is defective??? I'd probably make them change out ALL of relays too, because apparently those are defective too on the 2021's. Tell them you want all new Denso relays, like it's supposed to have...馃槑

Registered
Tell them you want all new Denso relays, like it's supposed to have...馃槑
I am lost, I thought the tread was about rust or paint chipping. What are the issues with Denso relays on the 2021 TH? Or is that something else. Sorry to sound uninformed. But I am not sure what that is, and should I be concerned?

Registered
I am lost, I thought the tread was about rust or paint chipping. What are the issues with Denso relays on the 2021 TH? Or is that something else. Sorry to sound uninformed. But I am not sure what that is, and should I be concerned?
Was about the guy that chimed in about defective struts on hisv2021 Trailhawk being replaced. (Yikes)
But yes, if you have a 2021 you should be concerned about cheap Chinese relays Jeep used, apparently due to the infamous "Parts Shortage". There have been quite a few issues with them. Something you can remedy yourself for less than $100, because they'll probably tell you there's nothing wrong with them...馃槑

Registered
Well that's sure encouraging!!! Did you ask them what else is defective??? I'd probably make them change out ALL of relays too, because apparently those are defective too on the 2021's. Tell them you want all new Denso relays, like it's supposed to have...馃槑
It was the 2020 model year which had the reports of the bad relays, as I don't recall reading any posts here where it was happening with the 2021s. Certainly possible I missed them though...

People reported that when it was really cold out their Jeeps would startup and then shutdown right away. It turned out it was caused by a bad relay. The bad one was replaced with a proper Denso relay and the problem went away.

Registered
It was the 2020 model year which had the reports of the bad relays, as I don't recall reading any posts here where it was happening with the 2021s. Certainly possible I missed them though...

People reported that when it was really cold out their Jeeps would startup and then shutdown right away. It turned out it was caused by a bad relay. The bad one was replaced with a proper Denso relay and the problem went away.
If they're not Densos, or Bosch I'm not trusting them. I think the problem ones are either unbranded or Song Chaun if I remember correctly. Mine are all Densos in mine from the factory...馃槑

1 - 20 of 31 Posts