2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the beginning states of planning another SQ set up. My plan is to make it look like there is not system, i want everything hidden. This is going to be hard to do when setting up the front components as the separation between the woofer and tweeter will be too great to put the tweeter in the dash.

Post them up!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
FYI for the non-audiophiles out there...
SQ = Sound Quality. Our Jeepster here wants the music to sound GOOD and not just LOUD.
SPL = Sound Pressure Level. When you don't care about the words and just want to go BOOM!!!
:)

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
350 Posts
I've upgraded, but it's not all hidden. I swapped the six speakers with all Rockford Fosgate two-way speakers and added an amplifier, then I removed each speaker to add Retrosound sound-deadening matting inside each speaker cavity and then because I thought the sound was muffled, I cut openings in the doors (3-1/2") and dash (2-3/4") and added speakers covers for each. The dash needed them for height, but the doors did not.

The sound improvement is considerable and I did find that the factory covers only reduced the sound and especially the higher frequencies. Now the sound has better definition and IMG_1894.JPG clarity.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've upgraded, but it's not all hidden. I swapped the six speakers with all Rockford Fosgate two-way speakers and added an amplifier, then I removed each speaker to add Retrosound sound-deadening matting inside each speaker cavity and then because I thought the sound was muffled, I cut openings in the doors (3-1/2") and dash (2-3/4") and added speakers covers for each. The dash needed them for height, but the doors did not.

The sound improvement is considerable and I did find that the factory covers only reduced the sound and especially the higher frequencies. Now the sound has better definition and View attachment 212525 clarity. View attachment 212525
What does the dash look like? The door mods don't look terrible. There's definitely not a lot of room in all the speaker cavities to work with. I have the Alpine system, and though not terrible, it could definitely be much better...

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
350 Posts
They all came out fairly well - not so much like an amateur job. I cut each panel in the center of the grill after they were removed and secured with stainless hardware. I was surprised how well they all sound.

Here is the dash...

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already have infinity reference 3.5 in the dash. It helped but the system is still a turd to what I am used too. I'm prob just gonna wait until spring as kinda want to remove the interior and get a good layer of sound dreading material in or in strategic areas. I got a pair of 18 year old Morel 6x9 speakers I had in my Lexus build I used just for rear fill,i could see if I can fit in the front door but they are 3" top mount. What I read so far 3" is too much. Guess I'll just have to pull the panels off to find out.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
350 Posts
I already have infinity reference 3.5 in the dash. It helped but the system is still a turd to what I am used too. I'm prob just gonna wait until spring as kinda want to remove the interior and get a good layer of sound dreading material in or in strategic areas. I got a pair of 18 year old Morel 6x9 speakers I had in my Lexus build I used just for rear fill,i could see if I can fit in the front door but they are 3" top mount. What I read so far 3" is too much. Guess I'll just have to pull the panels off to find out.
Got it.

I went with all Rockford Fosgate, an Alpine amplifier and used Retrosound dampening in each speaker cavity and then added the exterior covers (photos) and it sounds pretty good to me. Now I'm mainly talking about CD's I've burned myself using Apple Lossless, so the frequency response is pretty wide, not compressed like the flash drive or SD card versions, which I don't use. Sirius XM sounds ok.

The 3" is too much if I remember. The door panels take maybe 10 minutes to remove, so just check it. Dash covers take a minute or so.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it.

I went with all Rockford Fosgate, an Alpine amplifier and used Retrosound dampening in each speaker cavity and then added the exterior covers (photos) and it sounds pretty good to me. Now I'm mainly talking about CD's I've burned myself using Apple Lossless, so the frequency response is pretty wide, not compressed like the flash drive or SD card versions, which I don't use. Sirius XM sounds ok.

The 3" is too much if I remember. The door panels take maybe 10 minutes to remove, so just check it. Dash covers take a minute or so.
The SD or USB drive is not what compresses the file. Those are just the medium like the CD to hold said files. The quality comes from how the file was ripped. MP3 vs ALAC/FLAC vs WAV. I use a TB USB drive with FLAC and WAV FLAC and ALAC are pretty much the same with FLAC edging out very slightly, WAV will be the closest 1:1 cd rip and of course MP3 the worst. XM depending on the channels is decent but back in the day they were cd quality playback but now the streams are so compressed its vbr mp3 at best.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Nothing beats live!!! Damn I miss live music, I'm literally having withdrawls!!! GFY Covid!!!🔊

Reactions: Leems
1 - 10 of 10 Posts