2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
If you're on a budget, there's always this option...
When I was kid, my dad made us fill up the tires on the station wagon using a hand pump like that. We did it before every trip of significant length. The fact that nowadays it's possible to drive around with a compressor actually installed in your vehicle, for EZ tire inflation anywhere you go, reminds me of an old Miller High Life TV commercial in which a guy watches his neighbor clumsily try to back up his car with a boat in tow: "Time was a man knew how to command his own vehicle. Just how far ... are we willing to fall?" :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have a 10 plus year old Viair....maybe a 200 series. Only issue I had was the rubber isolators wore out, so I replaced them with springs. Yea, the cord is short due to the coiled hose. If my wife stands on the compressor for me I get the hose out there. I use it to top my motorhome tires to...up to 120 PSI for winter storage...6 tires. These things a built like tanks in my estimation. As for 4 tires at once....likely it would do it, but I just let it do them one at a time.

Reactions: DizzyPope

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought a Viair 450P compressor about 5 years ago when I had my 39' fifthwheel rv and needed a pump that could air up 4 tires to 110 psi. One of the rv forum members posted some photos (attached) of how he made a small connector for his 7 pin plug so he could power the compressor from the rear of his truck to be able to reach all the way back to his trailer tires while hitched up. I bought the supplies and made my own connector similar to his and it has worked great. I use it now on my Cherokee when I want to air up my tires and it keeps me from having to raise the hood and connect direct to the battery.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought a Viair 450P compressor about 5 years ago when I had my 39' fifthwheel rv and needed a pump that could air up 4 tires to 110 psi. One of the rv forum members posted some photos (attached) of how he made a small connector for his 7 pin plug so he could power the compressor from the rear of his truck to be able to reach all the way back to his trailer tires while hitched up. I bought the supplies and made my own connector similar to his and it has worked great. I use it now on my Cherokee when I want to air up my tires and it keeps me from having to raise the hood and connect direct to the battery.
BTW - you can make this connector for your 7 pin plug for under $20. You just need some small bolts, heavy gauge wire, and the 7 way connector which can all be purchased at your local big box store like Lowes or Home Depot

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
432 Posts
Did the guy run a viair pump or just a normal 12v pump? The reason I ask is due to viar 450P pulling 23 amps max. I'm not sure the 7 pin can supply that much power. That's why they use battery clips instead of 12v accessory plugs, as well as say use with the engine running. On my old 150, 9 or 10 amps was the max you could pull from the 7 pin. Is there a way 1, to just hook the viair to the camper batteries, or 2.) pull the vehicle up before hitching up to get close enough to the tires to inflate?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did the guy run a viair pump or just a normal 12v pump? The reason I ask is due to viar 450P pulling 23 amps max. I'm not sure the 7 pin can supply that much power. That's why they use battery clips instead of 12v accessory plugs, as well as say use with the engine running. On my old 150, 9 or 10 amps was the max you could pull from the 7 pin. Is there a way 1, to just hook the viair to the camper batteries, or 2.) pull the vehicle up before hitching up to get close enough to the tires to inflate?
He ran a Viair 450P which is what I used as well on my truck (and now on my Cherokee). Yes, you could hook the compressor to the camper batteries or pull the front of the truck around to get close to the trailer tires, but that isn't always convenient especially when you have an issue along the side of the road. I have used my 450P plugged up through the 7 pin plug for over 5 years on several different vehicles and never once blown a fuse (my truck and Cherokee both use a 30 amp fuse for the 7 pin). Multiple users on the RV forum did this exact same set up and I never heard anyone reporting back they had an issue with blowing a fuse, although the concern was raised by a few prior to making their connectors.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I think ADI without the tow package has the compact spare...
yes & I was never able to sell it on craigslist when I bought a full size wheel & tire. so when I trade it in, I'll have to remember to grab it from the basement along with the cargo cover

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I was looking at the VIAIR 400P Portable Compressor

all of our cars have a small unit for the rare case of a slow leak. I use mine the most cuz I go off-road. I bought it so long ago I can't recommend it cuz you can't it for sale anywhere. too bad cuz it has lasted so long. filling a full size 235 55 18 tire from 12psi to 35psi takes a while, but I can do all 4 one, right after the other. it originally had an accessory socket but that melted one day so I spliced on some alligator clips. got it at a "Super Kmart" 15? years ago
Heavy duty 12V Portable Air Compressor; With yellow flashing safety light; 8 hours fulltime operation Brand: INTERDYNAMIC

recently remembered I bought a 2nd portable compressor when I loaned mine to my son. I got mine back, bought him a another unit to keep in his car. but that left me with an extra. I threw it back in the car Friday night & used it yesterday after getting off the beach. I used the accessory port in cargo area & used it for the 2 rear tires as I used my old one for the front tires. this one worked as fast (or took the same amount of time) as my old one. I was so glad to have 2 going at the same time! approx. 5 minutes per tire

Kobalt 12-volt multipurpose inflator model #KL12DD

nice solid feel, has some weight to it, long wire, inflator hose good length, good valve chuck ready to use, quieter than my old unit. gauge accurate but I use a separate pencil style gauge for final adjustments. I think I got it at Lowes . I guess it passed it's 1st field test. check back in 15 years & we'll see if it lasts as long as my other unit
Light Motor vehicle Vehicle door Material property Gas

now that I've got 2, I think I will carry 2. but I am tempted by the $200 Viair 400P due to it's advertised speed. ever had a car load of ppl waiting to get to a restroom? ... ;-)

of course, at the other trail heads where the National Seashore maintains an air station, 35 seconds per tire is so sweet! hehe

happy wheel'n!

·
Registered
5 Posts
BTW - you can make this connector for your 7 pin plug for under $20. You just need some small bolts, heavy gauge wire, and the 7 way connector which can all be purchased at your local big box store like Lowes or Home Depot

I did this with a VIAR 400P. I clipped off the battery clips, then installed Anderson connectors on the pump wire, battery clips, and a 7pin connector. I normally use the 7pin, but still retain the ability to use the battery clips if i need to. I also made another 6ft length I could stick in between in case i needed more length some time, but have never used it since the coiled hose that came with the pump is long enough to do all 4 tires without taking the pump out of the back of the Trailhawk.

Amazon.com: Anderson Powerpole Connectors 10 Pair Genuine : Electronics

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
I did this with a VIAR 400P. I clipped off the battery clips, then installed Anderson connectors on the pump wire, battery clips, and a 7pin connector. I normally use the 7pin, but still retain the ability to use the battery clips if i need to. I also made another 6ft length I could stick in between in case i needed more length some time, but have never used it since the coiled hose that came with the pump is long enough to do all 4 tires without taking the pump out of the back of the Trailhawk.

Amazon.com: Anderson Powerpole Connectors 10 Pair Genuine : Electronics
Must be in to ham radio.. Only people I know that use Anderson connectors
are all hams..

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,500 Posts
Common in a lot of Server Farms and Data Centers as well. :cool:

Reactions: XJ99

·
Registered
5 Posts
Must be in to ham radio.. Only people I know that use Anderson connectors
are all hams..
nope, but i had a neighbor who used them to wire a connector to his battery, and used it to connect a winch, or jumper cables without opening the hood. i thought it would work well here too, after i found the mini ones.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts