2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somtimes when I take my Jeep out I like to air down my tires and when I head home I need to inflate them. I really want to get one of those ARB compressors that you mount in the engine bay.... But those things are hundreds of dollars. Anyone have one of those or something similar and you can tell me if it's actually worth it?

Since I didn't want (let's be honest didn't have) tto drop the coin on an ARB I went on Amazon and bought a cheapo $25 portable air compressor. For anyone else that's interested I created a review.

It's an EP Auto portable digital air compressor AT-010-1Z

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use this one:
VIAIR 300P Portable Compressor - 30033

Works well every time. It doesn't have a 100% duty cycle, but I'm only airing up 4 tires in (very much) less than 15 min.

The only problem I had to "fix" was the short battery cable. I spliced in about 7 feet extra cable and now I can have the pump right next to each tire. On the passenger side that was impossible with the stock cable length.
Another "fix" would be using a system that connects all four tires to the pump at the same time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use this one:

Works well every time. It doesn't have a 100% duty cycle, but I'm only airing up 4 tires in (very much) less than 15 min.

The only problem I had to "fix" was the short battery cable. I spliced in about 7 feet extra cable and now I can have the pump right next to each tire. On the passenger side that was impossible with the stock cable length.
Another "fix" would be using a system that connects all four tires to the pump at the same time.
Sorry for the silly question, but this is a pet peave for me, can the viair air up all four tires in a row without overheating? My EP Auto overheats after ~3 tires and I have to give it about 10 minutes to cool down.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
432 Posts
the VIAIR 88P would be another good example for only 65ish dollars. Puts out 50 percent more air, and will last much longer. Generally the duty cycle on those small compressors won't be long enough to fill up all your tires before you have to let it cool down (like 45 minutes). I've used a small compressor like that to fill back up some 265/70/17s on my truck, and after an hour, I still wasn't there, and I didn't even air down all the way. The 300P is a good one if you plan to keep it a long time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use this one:

Sorry, another question, how big is it? One thing I like about the EP Auto is that it fits under the driver side front seat. And is the pressure gauge accurate? The EP Autos gauge is crap! Would be great to actually air up my tires to what the gauge says. LOL. I also see the Viair is about 6 times as much as the EP Auto, but it might be a nice upgrade considering the annoying issues my compressor has.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry for the silly question, but this is a pet peave for me, can the viair air up all four tires in a row without overheating? My EP Auto overheats after ~3 tires and I have to give it about 10 minutes to cool down.
As soon as I replied, I realized I was a bit off-topic since OP was asking about the ARB units...

The Viair will air up all four no problem. I have used it in many conditions including 95+ degrees desert. I estimate 15 minutes continuous use based on it's duty cycle which is way more than enough time to air up all four tires from about 20psi to 38 for all tires. I air up each tire individually. Only issue was the short battery cable.
Viar and ARB have 100% duty cycle pumps for much more $$ I guessing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry, another question, how big is it? One thing I like about the EP Auto is that it fits under the driver side front seat. And is the pressure gauge accurate? The EP Autos gauge is crap! Would be great to actually air up my tires to what the gauge says. LOL. I also see the Viair is about 6 times as much as the EP Auto, but it might be a nice upgrade considering the annoying issues my compressor has.
We must be reading and replying at the same time LOL... The Viair gauge is right on the nose.

Reactions: Shavez00

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
432 Posts
I just watched the video. One tire was 7.5 minutes. That would need almost a 50 percent duty cycle to do all 4 tires at that speed. Its very unusual to find one at that price point that will come anywhere close to that. Also, in the video, what size tires were those? They looked like they were fairly small sidewalls, which will play into how much air is required to inflate. I believe most of the ARB have 100% duty cycle, and it really depends on which Viair compressor, as some have 100 percent, but others do not, but will also inflate all 4 tires within its duty cycle. The "heavy duty" 12v compressor I bought actually got so hot the pressure gauge actually cracked. I thing the duty cycle was like 10 minutes on, for every 50 minutes off (16%).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Get the Smittybuilt 5.65 cfm. Works great lasts a long time. Have had mine for 7 years.

·
Registered
45 Posts

I use one of these. I do not know what the duty cycle is but it runs for at least a half an hour. I have falken wildpeak at3 245/65r17, it'll take them from 20 to 38 in about 20-25 minutes.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've seen these in newer loaners I've had from Jeep. I didn't even like the fact
that my wife's 2018 came with a donut. She used it one time, and 4WD was
disabled. I ditched it for a full size rim and tire...
All 4WD should come with a full size spare.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: XJ99

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,500 Posts
All 4WD should come with a full size spare.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I think ADI without the tow package has the compact spare...

Reactions: XJ99

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
2017 Trailhawk; 32.3" Nittos; MFC 2" lift; Pinch Weld mod; RRO SuperSliders; Rhino Rack; MFC rwcKit
50 Posts
I use this one:

Go with Viair. Check their product lineup and pay as much or as little as you want to. Have the 88 and it works great. Its a little noisy but hey, you're on a trail in the middle of nowhere. It will easily do 4 tires up to about 33" with no issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Viair 88P as well and can vouch for it. It does all 4 tires easily.

All small piston compressors will get hot as they are essentially engines but they are built with this in mind. Just stay with reputable ones like Viair and you'll have more reliability. I've used mine at least 8 times and so far so good, no issues.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just finished my Cherokee Trail Station for items most often used and I found the ARB mounts nicely in the spot occupied by the strange triangular garbage can in back. Nothing is touching the compressor in that set up as the compressor will get hot.

The mounting point with clip on nut plates has a metal ring I had to fab underneath to securely mount the compressor to the floor cutout that already existed for the trash can. The other side garbage can stayed and carries a pair of work gloves crammed in there.

I only air one tire at a time with this set up, ( keep it simple philosophy) And am only airing from 22-37 psi on 245/75/R17, so time wise it really is nothing, now if I were airing 33-40 I might rethink the single hose method, like I will on my Colorado ZR2

1 - 20 of 34 Posts