2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m I just bought a used 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with 24K miles and I am having a popping noise to me what sounds exactly like a bad strut in my front passenger side. Long story short I took it in and they torqued the suspension and told me that the PTU makes noises at low speeds and that’s what it is. I’m having a hard time believing this and wanted to see what you all think. I tried searching but couldn’t really find anything. I’m also not new to Jeep this is my 5th one but my first Cherokee I’m use to Wranglers that never had a warranty and I had to figure it out on my own. This time however I wanted something smaller yet capable that still has a warranty and looks like I’m already unfortunately having issues. The noise happens at low speeds under 30mph with any uneven surface.

· Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,246 Posts
Have you tried to manually move each side by pushing downward and side to side - both sides of the vehicle - to get some idea if the suspension acts as expected and if not, what difference do you see? You could also get underneath with a shop light to see if anything appears damaged or otherwise wrong with either strut and connecting hardware - including the collars on top of the struts. You were told they 'torqued' the suspension - what does that mean?

If you are in AUTO mode, then you should not be hearing any 'noises'.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried to manually move each side by pushing downward and side to side - both sides of the vehicle - to get some idea if the suspension acts as expected and if not, what difference do you see? You could also get underneath with a shop light to see if anything appears damaged or otherwise wrong with either strut and connecting hardware - including the collars on top of the struts. You were told they 'torqued' the suspension - what does that mean?

If you are in AUTO mode, then you should not be hearing any 'noises'.
The service manager told me they went through the front suspension and skid plates and retorqued to spec.

· Registered
648 Posts
PTU would not make constant noise. It could be struts or CV joints making noise. CV joints will make a clicking noise when they are failing especially during turns or when flexing. Though your very low miles for either one to fail but anything is possible. I would try to get the actual service tech to ride along with you so they can hear it first hand. Or if needed the service manager.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PTU would not make constant noise. It could be struts or CV joints making noise. CV joints will make a clicking noise when they are failing especially during turns or when flexing. Though your very low miles for either one to fail but anything is possible. I would try to get the actual service tech to ride along with you so they can hear it first hand. Or if needed the service manager.
Tech and service manager both drove the vehicle and heard the noise… this is an Autonation store so typical of them.

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,739 Posts
Tech and service manager both drove the vehicle and heard the noise… this is an Autonation store so typical of them.
Try the Jeep dealer. It should be still under the factory warranty no, or did Autonation screw you out of it???

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try the Jeep dealer. It should be still under the factory warranty no, or did Autonation screw you out of it???
No I do still have the factory warranty but it also has the 90 day guarantee warranty from AutoNation. They are just saying nothing is wrong. I may have to try another dealership but it’s just the principal to me. I know that there is an issue and I want the dealership that I bought it from to own up to them missing said issue before selling it to me.

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,739 Posts
I want the dealership that I bought it from to own up to them missing said issue before selling it to me.
Well, apparently they're morons. Go to the Jeep dealer. Did you see a vehicle history report when you bought it??? Hopefully it was never wrecked at some point...😎

· Registered
11 Posts
Did they check sway bars? On another car I had sway bar mounts (not ends) go bad. They were hard to get to or see so the dealer and a separate shop never actually checked them. I replaced and rattle/pop in basically the same conditions you’re describing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts