2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

2921 - 2940 of 2961 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Okay...so I proudly join the forum and announce my new Light Brownstone Cherokee Trail Hawk on here a couple of days ago. Then I get a call from the dealer yesterday who was fitting a tow bar for me before handover today. Apparently a warning light came on as they were reversing it out of the workshop. Faulty modulator for the rear diff, or somesuch.
No spare in New Zealand and it currently looks like none to be had in Aussieland either. Dealer says that Jeep NZ insist on spares from the US being shipped by container which could take weeks. (I suspect this may be something to do with the global chip shortage and I am being stalled here).
Not a very happy first time Jeep customer is I! Will be with the dealer this morning first thing to discuss options. Waiting weeks for spares for a brand new car just out of the box not gonna happen!
A real disappointment.
maybe they can give you a different car for the same price?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The owner of the dealership happened to be on site and insisted on apologising to me in person and immediately offered me a 3 year free service plan by way of a 'sorry'.
tell them you have doubts about your purchase & want a refund, or a free extended warranty

·
Registered
14 Posts
tell them you have doubts about your purchase & want a refund, or a free extended warranty
Thanks. Truth is, there is so much tech packed into modern cars these days I suspect dealers discover many issues before handover and simply slip in a new component without the customer realising. In my case the spare wasn't around. Having worked with computers all my life the odd glitch doesn't really bother me that much (may regret that attitude!) My wife has had her faithful, precious Cooper S for many years and its thrown up the odd issue warning from time to time but only once was it real; the rest down to software not talking to hardware politely. Given the apparent rarity of this particular modulator failure I very much suspect it's the issue here. The garage don't want to take any chances though.

So....I am quite prepared to take a punt on this car, but will probably push them about the EW. The dealers have proved to be very responsive and pulled out all the stops for me. My initial frustration and disappointment (kid not able to unwrap new toy sort!) was the lack of this particular spare availability in the Southern Hemisphere and Jeep NZs attitude to the issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
what do you mean? wait for the part? did they give you an equal or better loaner, at least?
Sorry, language barrier! I meant take a chance on the car after weighing things up. And no, didn't need a loan car because I am still driving round in my CRV trade-in on their insurance. Suits me. Anyway, the dealer contacted me today. They have stripped a modulator from a 'still in the wrapper' TH sat at Auckland docks (just arrived) having done a car swap with the dealer who's inventory it's on. Its being couriered down to the South Island as we speak so I should have my new car with its emergency 'transplant' straight after the weekend. Not a big job to fit. They will then fit the new modulator to the car up in Auckland that they ordered for me a couple of days ago (on its way via DHL from the US probably arriving 3 weeks time post being as it is) and ship that TH down here to flog eventually. I happen to know they swapped a Wrangler for the Auckland Dock TH so would have lost money on it, for sure. They did it to try and speed up the process rather than wait for the US/DHL modulator to arrive. The dealer has been excellent over this. And all I will have suffered is a bit of initial grumpiness and 4 days delay in picking up my new toy. Very pleased with the outcome. Many thanks for your interest, by the way. Appreciated. Sorry if this rambles a bit, its very late here, and I'm knacked so off to bed!!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Many thanks for your interest, by the way. Appreciated. Sorry if this rambles a bit, its very late here, and I'm knacked so off to bed!!
sounds promising. didn't mean to challenge you personally. I went thru a traumatizing "thing" w/ a 2011 Subaru Forester. your location adds an interesting twist. Daughter went to NZ for 5 months a cpl years ago & spent some time on the East coast of AU. Wifey followed for a short spell to both as a visit. wishing you a good outcome & many happy miles. bought mine used w/ 23k miles & I'm up over 150k now. hoping to hang on to 200k if at all possible ... ciao for now

·
Registered
14 Posts
sounds promising. didn't mean to challenge you personally. I went thru a traumatizing "thing" w/ a 2011 Subaru Forester. your location adds an interesting twist. Daughter went to NZ for 5 months a cpl years ago & spent some time on the East coast of AU. Wifey followed for a short spell to both as a visit. wishing you a good outcome & many happy miles. bought mine used w/ 23k miles & I'm up over 150k now. hoping to hang on to 200k if at all possible ... ciao for now
No worries. The outcome is good, so far. This is South Island. Down here we usually just break out the Kiwi No. 8 wire to fix broke things...anything ;)! Hope your wife and daughter enjoyed the trip. We don't get any foreign visitors these days, which is a shame. Covid. And I hope I can get as many miles out of the car as you have yours. Its the last new car I intend buying. Take care now trying for the 200K.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought my daughter a 2019 Latitude with 38k. Seemed nice enough during our test drive, much nicer than a Rav4. Hoping all goes well. We've never owned a Jeep.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,345 Posts
Just bought my daughter a 2019 Latitude with 38k. Seemed nice enough during our test drive, much nicer than a Rav4. Hoping all goes well. We've never owned a Jeep.
Welcome from Utah!!!😎

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings from the Pinelands of New Jersey. Just picked up a 14 Trailhawk with 41k on it, in red. Setting it up to flat tow behind our motorhome now. Second week with it, and I have the center console, fuse box, and front fascia on the garage floor. Looking forward to some fun. Never had a Jeep before!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,345 Posts
Greetings from the Pinelands of New Jersey. Just picked up a 14 Trailhawk with 41k on it, in red. Setting it up to flat tow behind our motorhome now. Second week with it, and I have the center console, fuse box, and front fascia on the garage floor. Looking forward to some fun. Never had a Jeep before!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Welcome from Utah!!!😎

·
Registered
27 Posts
New to this forum but not new to automotive forums in general.

Anyway, we just picked up a 2021 Spitfire Orange Cherokee 80th Anniversary Edition to replace my wife's 14 Dart that was lost to an altercation with a deer.

The deer did us a big favor and I thank him for his sacrifice! We had been talking about a bigger vehicle to replace the Dart. As a result of the Dart being totalled we received about 2 to 3x what we would have gotten on a trade.

Our other vehicles include;
My daily 17 Ecoboost Mustang Premium with the Performance Package.
My toy a 68 Plymouth Barracuda (owned for 24 years).
Our spare vehicle an 01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! New member here and proud new owner of a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. I'm currently in Louisiana but moving my family to Colorado this summer!! I'll post a picture of my new ride in a little bit.

Attachments

2921 - 2940 of 2961 Posts