2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! My name is Ren, and I work for Jeep Design at FCA HQ here in Michgian. My sister-in-law just got a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk and I want to buy spacers ( hub-centric adapters to be precise) for her new Jeep.

Does anyone have pictures of a Cherokee Trailhawk with a 1" wheel adapter / spacer setup on the stock tires?
Trying to decide between ordering 1" or 1.25" from Bora and cannot find many good photos for reference.

Also, any feedback on rubbing issues between the two sizes would be extremely helpful. If it were mine, I'd go more aggressive, but I want to make sure my sister-in-law is safe and doesn't get freaked out by the tire rubbing the wheel liner.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Following cos I'm looking to go with 1.25" all around and just need to know if I'll still rub after the pinch weld mod. Running 245/70's here. If I can get away with just remolding the liner that'd be even sweeter

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Hello all! My name is Ren, and I work for Jeep Design at FCA HQ here in Michgian. My sister-in-law just got a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk and I want to buy spacers ( hub-centric adapters to be precise) for her new Jeep.

Does anyone have pictures of a Cherokee Trailhawk with a 1" wheel adapter / spacer setup on the stock tires?
Trying to decide between ordering 1" or 1.25" from Bora and cannot find many good photos for reference.

Also, any feedback on rubbing issues between the two sizes would be extremely helpful. If it were mine, I'd go more aggressive, but I want to make sure my sister-in-law is safe and doesn't get freaked out by the tire rubbing the wheel liner.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the board :)

Some good reading :

·
Registered
852 Posts
Someone just posted pictures on here. I think it was on the "What have you done to your Cherokee" thread.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Someone just posted pictures on here. I think it was on the "What have you done to your Cherokee" thread.
Needle in a haystack type deal there, that thread is huge (close to 2000 posts as of now) ;)

Hopefully the thread will attract those with spacers/adapters, and pics will come.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
It may have been beneficial for those who have done certain mods to have also done a write up thread for questions and answers. Needle in a haystack is an understatement!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm speaking purely from ignorance here from a wheel bolt point of view, but I have experience with spacers from a wheel stud perspective on my JK. It is critical to have the wheel spacer nuts with Loctite (I use red) and the torque checked often to be safe. Most tire dealers won't touch a wheel/hub with spacers, even if they are hub-centric. Discount Tire is pretty good about it and checks the spacer torque every tire rotation.

For those of you with experience with the KL and spacers, is there anything special that needs to be done with the spacers when using bolts? Just longer bolts? Are there issues with tire dealers? Torqued the same as without spacers? I would assume Loctite would be overkill, even if just using blue?

Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I'm speaking purely from ignorance here from a wheel bolt point of view, but I have experience with spacers from a wheel stud perspective on my JK. It is critical to have the wheel spacer nuts with Loctite (I use red) and the torque checked often to be safe. Most tire dealers won't touch a wheel/hub with spacers, even if they are hub-centric. Discount Tire is pretty good about it and checks the spacer torque every tire rotation.

For those of you with experience with the KL and spacers, is there anything special that needs to be done with the spacers when using bolts? Just longer bolts? Are there issues with tire dealers? Torqued the same as without spacers? I would assume Loctite would be overkill, even if just using blue?

Inquiring minds want to know!
In my post above where I dropped a couple links, check the first one (about the 1.25" Bora spacers), scroll down to posts from @SS_Syndicate . Very informative, lots of technical info including Loctite use.

Depending on "spacer" or "adapter" : the former requires longer lug bolts (add spacer width to roughly 27mm standard bolt shank length), the latter uses your current bolts to secure adapter to hub, then adapter has its own studs so you need lug nuts to secure wheel to adapter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Das me! Lol

1 inch spacers with low profile lug bolts torqued to stock 100 ft-lbs, black lugs torqued to 100 ft-lbs

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do spacers require anything besides installing them?
i.e. alignment
any long term effects on steering components?
warranties voided ?
etc...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Do spacers require anything besides installing them?
i.e. alignment
any long term effects on steering components?
warranties voided ?
etc...
Do spacers require anything besides installing them? i.e. alignment: Yes. Loctite on spacer bolts. I use red (permanent). Frequent checking of torque on the spacer bolts. There isn't anything inherent in a spacer that would affect camber, caster, or toe-in so alignment shouldn't be an issue. Wouldn't hurt to have it checked, though.

any long term effects on steering components? Some. It effectively lowers the backspacing on the wheel, pushing it out a bit. That increases the "scrub radius" of the steering, which can have some (maybe just a little, but some) impact on steering components.

warranties voided ? According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a warranty can be denied only if it can be proven that a modification caused the issue. So, warranty voided for engine? No. For a steering issue? Maybe. The internet is full of examples of people being denied warranty service for an unrelated modification to their vehicle. Legal? No. Do dealers or OEMs care? Some don't. I've had good luck getting things fixed under warranty despite having a heavily modified vehicle.

The other thing I know is some tire dealers like Costco or Big-O generally won't touch a vehicle with wheel spacers. Discount Tire is OK with them, at least in my experience. They even check my wheel spacer torque every time I have my tires rotated. Check with your tire dealer if you are concerned.

Disclaimer: I'm only speaking from my JK experiences, not with the Cherokee.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
And one more question : about those low profile lug bolts (spacer to hub) : did they come with the spacers ? I realize just now that factory lug bolts can't be used for thinner spacers/adapters (makes sense), but I just don't know what the minumum thickness/width for a spacer needs to be to accept OEM bolts.
If low profile bolts need to be purchased separately, it's an extra step/cost to think about. And the lug nuts, too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Where did you get your spacers?
Both the lug bolts and spacers are from amazon. I'll be getting a set of 5x110 to 5x127 adaptors here soon to run some Wrangler Rubicon wheels I picked up for free from a guy in a local facebook group lol

Lug bolts;
Wheel spacers;

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Maybe I missed it : what about the lug nuts ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Reactions: Mark_
1 - 16 of 16 Posts