2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 cherokee that needs a pcm. Oem are on national backorder and I've tried 3 places that refurbish them. Place 1 got pcm and it didn't have any communication with the system, sent it back so they could fix it, they sent me another, same thing no communication. Sent it back and tried company 2 I never got one because they say they had a shipment error. Tried place 3 received pcm and again no communication with system. What does it take to get a pcm that communicates with the system? Dealer says they can program a new one with no info in but can't reprogram one with info in. I have been without my jeep for over 2 months. I need help

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
You need the PCM to be programmed to your vehicle, did you buy used? A PCM from a same year cherokee with same engine should only need the vin written to it, which a dealer can do or you can using software like AlfaOBD

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a refurbished pcm which was supposed to be plug and play. They program my vin to the pcm....the dealer said they can only program a blank pcm and they can't do anything with a used one. I have the alphaobd app but I haven't used it yet. My jeep is at the dealer right now

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,042 Posts
Dumb question time: If it was 'refurbished', wouldn't that mean it's memory and previous programming was cleared? If not, couldn't the AlphaOBD accomplish that? If it's 'at the dealer', but it's still your vehicle and you have every right to 'access' it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct its memoryand previous programming were cleared. I don't know if the alphaobd can accomplish this I would need some alphaobd experts to find that out . Yes I can access my car anytime

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,042 Posts
OK, that all makes sense then. If anyone could help you, it would be Tyler. I've not used the AlphaOBD personally.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need the PCM to be programmed to your vehicle, did you buy used? A PCM from a same year cherokee with same engine should only need the vin written to it, which a dealer can do or you can using software like AlfaOBD
My dealer says they can't program or write a new vin to a used pcm. Are they full of bs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts