2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Yup, sounds like a new tranny is in order. Maybe the R01 recall will confirm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Parking Brake

Looking for help here also. 2014 Limited with 25,000 mi. Had it for service two weeks ago for premature airbag deployment recall; 15 minute computer update and that is when the problems started. The next day, on interstate going 70 mph, emergency brake suddenly comes on. MIL light comes on, emergency brake light on dash comes on, screen warning "Pull over and service transmission immediately". Car seems to be in 2nd or 3rd gear, 3500 rpm at 40 mph is as fast as it will go. Pulled over, stopped engine and restarted half a dozen times. MIL is still on, emergency brake light on dash is still on (not illuminated on brake button) huge clunk when shifting from park to reverse or neutral to drive. Drive light on dash is flashing as is drive light on console. After 5 minutes of stopping and starting the problem goes away, except for the MIL. Drove 50 miles with MIL on. Got home, I scanned for codes without turning the engine off; no stored codes or freeze frames. Turned engine off and restarted, MIL goes off. Dealer doesn't have a clue what is wrong. Two weeks go by and the problem doesn't reappear until last night, same exact scenario. Twice now, 70 mph, and the emergency brake comes on.
This is a failure that could cost you your life; I think the NTSB should know about this.

Still no solution. Dealer has had car for 5 days. My scanner showed no codes, dealer said there were so many codes they had no idea what to do and the codes made no sense. They called me today to tell "me" to call Chrysler because they have no idea how to fix this. So, now it is my responsibility to resolve this issue with Chrysler not the local dealer. Great service Chrylser. I called NTSB first, then called Chrysler. Chrysler said they would escalate the issue to get it resolved. I am sitting here waiting for a return call, with a car that is less than one year old, with 25,000 miles, with a serious problem that the dealer can't fix. Getting ready to go on vacation this week, but have no car and dealer only offered a car for a few days. Now I am double screwed. I think I have bought my last Chrysler product.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sadly I must report that Chrysler will not repair or buy back my 2014 Cherokee Limited as reported above. The case worker told me today to get the blue and white book out of the glove compartment and file a complaint with the State of Kentucky Attorney General. My local dealer has been great and is highly embarrassed. The car can't be fixed and has only been to the dealer one time so they won't buy it back. All I ever wanted was just get the car repaired, now it looks like I will have to hire an attorney and take Fiat Chrysler to court. After 22 years and 7 Chrysler products, my relationship is over. I may be out the better part of $35,000 with this car if it can't be resolved. I wish I could plaster this warning all over the internet to warn others but perhaps a few of you reading this will think twice before buying another Jeep or Chrysler.

·
Registered
754 Posts
<<The car can't be fixed and has only been to the dealer one time... >>

There are many things wrong with that statement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What exactly do you think is wrong? The car was perfect until March 24th when the R05 recall was performed. The problems started the next day. I took the car back to the dealer on April 1st and they have had it 23 days and can't fix it. The dealer, Craig and Landreth in Crestwood, KY, told me to escalate the problem to Chrysler to initiate the "buyback" which I did on the 15th. Yesterday, the Chrysler case worker informed me that they will not buy it back. It has only been back to the dealer one time and I have never gotten it back; repaired or otherwise. The dealer says that although the car can be driven, it is too dangerous to drive, so they haven't given it back. They were certain that Chrysler would buy it back to get it off the road. The dealer indicated that Chrysler has bought back 5, new 2015 Cherokees, from their dealership this year.
So, today I contact the Kentucky Attorney Generals office.

·
Registered
754 Posts
What do I find wrong with the statement? First, nearly any problem can be fixed. Second, you have had it to only one dealer. Third, they have had it one time (though for way too long) and that Chrysler refused to take it back makes me think we (and maybe you) aren't getting the whole story here.

I think you need to take that car to another dealer who knows what they are doing. You have that single dealer saying that the car isn't repairable. Have they replaced the transmission? Have they replaced the transmission's control unit? It sounds like they are incompetent, especially since they claim that Chrysler bought back five new Cherokees from them because they couldn't repair them.

Then again, maybe they aren't incompetent. Maybe they just made a business decision that it's cheaper for them to have Chrysler take the car back than to replace or repair the transmission. Or maybe they have lousy technicians. Lots of questions here.

·
Registered
527 Posts
What do I find wrong with the statement? First, nearly any problem can be fixed. Second, you have had it to only one dealer. Third, they have had it one time (though for way too long) and that Chrysler refused to take it back makes me think we (and maybe you) aren't getting the whole story here.

I think you need to take that car to another dealer who knows what they are doing. You have that single dealer saying that the car isn't repairable. Have they replaced the transmission? Have they replaced the transmission's control unit? It sounds like they are incompetent, especially since they claim that Chrysler bought back five new Cherokees from them because they couldn't repair them.

Then again, maybe they aren't incompetent. Maybe they just made a business decision that it's cheaper for them to have Chrysler take the car back than to replace or repair the transmission. Or maybe they have lousy technicians. Lots of questions here.

Agree with the above - something sounds fishey here somewhere. Pretty hard to comprehend something this new that "could not be fixed" that should be under a full bumper to bumper warranty from the manufacturer. It would sure be interesting to see what a different dealer says.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a new 2015 with 16 miles on it. 2 days after the purchase the car says the the electronic parking brake needs service. I called dealership and they said that it was no big deal and that it would just need to be reset and that they'll fix it later that week when I have it in to get other things done to it. The next day I get in and it still says it needs to be serviced. I drive it to work. Park the car and boom the parking brake engages and will not release. Now I'm dealing with the dealership and Chrysler Roadside to somehow get the car towed and get a rental.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@jorgo What ended up the fix for this? My brand new 2015 Renegade with barely 1000 miles just did the same thing, although the brakes finally released so I could get to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine too

My 2014 Cherokee did the same thing twice - driving on the highway and it engages. Very scary. It's apparently a transmission issue, but repairs made to the transmission last time didn't help. Now, according to service guy, it needs a control module but may have to replace the transmission. I'm thinking... please don't replace the transmission with another Jeep Cherokee transmission... is that the definition of insane? Again, very scary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a new 2015 with 16 miles on it. 2 days after the purchase the car says the the electronic parking brake needs service. I called dealership and they said that it was no big deal and that it would just need to be reset and that they'll fix it later that week when I have it in to get other things done to it. The next day I get in and it still says it needs to be serviced. I drive it to work. Park the car and boom the parking brake engages and will not release. Now I'm dealing with the dealership and Chrysler Roadside to somehow get the car towed and get a rental.
I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk, purchased new in 4/2014. I have had this happen to me four times, twice while backing into traffic with my young children in the car. The first time it happened my car had 7k miles on it, the second time 15k, the third 28K, and the fourth 37K miles. This is on top of 7 recalls, not to mention a new one that was just released and the parts won't be available for a minimum of 4 weeks, as well as having the Body Control Module replaced on the transmission twice. The problem within the parking brake is the actuator and the control module. The last time it was repaired, the technician told me that this would continue to happen as it is a problem with the part. Exact words were " Ma'am we repaired your vehicle, but we didn't actually "fix" your vehicle. We replaced the part, but it is the same part and no modifications have been made to it to prevent this from happening again." We have just hired a lawyer to proceed with filing a Lemon Law case.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not sure if this relative but when I'm backing a trailer and have the door open it senses I'm not seated it engaged the parking brake. And no I never left the seat just leaned out to look behind the vehicle. Maybe something faulty with the seat sensor.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
806 Posts
it does it automatically , after reading this yesterday I played with my TH yesterday and made my TH parking brake automatically come on by putting my foot on the brake and putting it neutral and when I took my foot off the brake the car still moved a little and the parking brake automatically came on

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not sure if this relative but when I'm backing a trailer and have the door open it senses I'm not seated it engaged the parking brake. And no I never left the seat just leaned out to look behind the vehicle. Maybe something faulty with the seat sensor.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
That's apparently a safety feature, but is very annoying in my opinion. Had mine into the dealer for warranty work, the technician went to pull it out of the driveway a little bit and left the door slightly open. I hear a loud tire squeal behind me and look, and the parking break engaged as he hit the gas. We both kind of laughed because he forgot that it did that, and that happens to me all the time in my driveway.

According to another tech there that saw this go down, Chrysler is going to fix this in an upcoming software update. I can't imagine how many times this happens to guys in the service shops when they move vehicles around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with the parking brake engaging while pulling out from a stop. My car has 120 miles on it and took it in for service for parking brake engaging while car is moving. They updated the computer and after a day the same problem. I pulled it out of the garage today and the parking brake engaged and stopped the car. It was like running into a fixed object and violently jerked my body in the car. I am afraid to drive this vehicle and am going to either have it towed to the dealership or try to drive it there slowly.
same thing happens with my 2018 jeep north. Parking brake engages while driving

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
same thing happens with my 2018 jeep north. Parking brake engages while driving
Hey Jef, welcome to the forum !

I have to first ask : you haven't opened your door while the Jeep is moving, have you ?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
That is a good question, when I am on a steep hill in 4 low and the engine is running, I put the TH in Park and engage the EPB.
Then unfasten the seat belt and open the door and get out.
Sure don't want the TH rolling down the hill and leave me behind.
Hopefully my TH is smart enough to save me from my own stupidity? That would be a good thing.
There was somebody famous who got run over by his GC, FCA sure doesn't want that to happen again!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts