2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with the parking brake engaging while pulling out from a stop. My car has 120 miles on it and took it in for service for parking brake engaging while car is moving. They updated the computer and after a day the same problem. I pulled it out of the garage today and the parking brake engaged and stopped the car. It was like running into a fixed object and violently jerked my body in the car. I am afraid to drive this vehicle and am going to either have it towed to the dealership or try to drive it there slowly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a problem where my brake would not disengage (even after pressing the acceleration. I had to completely turn the vehicle off and start it back up to disengage.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have seen that problem only once. Happened when at a stop and the car rolled back a short distance activating the brake. I was even able to duplicate it on a hill near by. Also when in reverse and switch to drive before complete stop. The brake engaged.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The problem you are having could be a door sensor. The Cherokee wil AUTOMATICALLY engage the Parking Brake, if you shift into ANY gear, with a door or tailgate open AT ALL.
so if any door isnt closed all the way, when you shift, the brake will engage.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Was your door open?

Reactions: zzjdzz

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you are pulling out of a garage and it is a confined area the car can think there is an obstacle and put on the brake to prevent a collision. When ever I back into my garage I have to turn the park sense off.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I pulled it out of the garage today and the parking brake engaged and stopped the car. It was like running into a fixed object and violently jerked my body in the car. I am afraid to drive this vehicle and am going to either have it towed to the dealership or try to drive it there slowly.
As you say when this engages it's full on and I believe it felt like hitting a fixed object. What's to say it can't do the same thing cruising down the highway at 65. I know there are additional benefits to the EPB but I'll take a good old-fashioned pedal or pull hand brake any day. Some things just don't need to be electronic.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The electromechanical parking brake is here. You'll be stuck buying old clunkers soon if you want hand-pull brakes. I didn't know anyone even made pedal parking brakes any more.

My Jeep taps the brake every time I pull out of the garage unless I turn off the Park Sense. Could you imagine having your Jeep towed to the dealership for that? Ha!

As you say when this engages it's full on and I believe it felt like hitting a fixed object. What's to say it can't do the same thing cruising down the highway at 65.
I think it would do just that to prevent you from rear-ending the car in front of you. That's a good thing.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebomber
As you say when this engages it's full on and I believe it felt like hitting a fixed object. What's to say it can't do the same thing cruising down the highway at 65.

I think it would do just that to prevent you from rear-ending the car in front of you. That's a good thing.
That makes no sense...

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm wondering what happens with the parking brake if you lose power (i.e. battery dead). Does it stay engaged, or release?

·
Super Moderator
1,213 Posts
Please tell us your vehicle equipment

Im betting you have the technology group and this is Parkign Assist trying to keep you from running into something.

"NOTE:
• The automatic braking function may only be applied if
the vehicle deceleration is not enough to avoid colliding
with a detected obstacle.
• The automatic braking function may not be applied
fast enough for obstacles that move toward the rear of
the vehicle from the left and/or right sides.
• The automatic braking function can be enabled / disabled
from the Customer-Programmable Features section
of the Uconnect System.
• ParkSense will retain its last known configuration state
for the automatic braking function through ignition
cycles."

and

"The six ParkSense® sensors, located in the front fascia/
bumper, monitor the area in front of the vehicle that is
within the sensors’ field of view. The sensors can detect
obstacles from approximately 12 in (30 cm) up to 47 in
(120 cm) from the front fascia/bumper in the horizontal
direction, depending on the location, type and orientation
of the obstacle."

1) Hit the park assist button to turn it OFF before you pull into any parking spot unless you want parking assist to help you.
Enabling And Disabling ParkSense®
ParkSense® can be enabled and disabled with the ParkSense® switch, located on the switch panel below the Uconnect® display.

2) You may also need to adjust the distance sensor if you want to keep park assist on

3) you may want to turn off the auto parking brake feature in uConnect.

4) Do not unbuckle your seat belt before you come to a stop.

In your owners manual:
Service The ParkSense® Park Assist System . . .237
▫ Cleaning The ParkSense® System . . . . . . . . .238
▫ ParkSense® System Usage Precautions. . . . .238
PARKSENSE® ACTIVE PARK ASSIST SYSTEM — IF EQUIPPED . . . . .241
▫ Enabling And Disabling The ParkSense® Active Park Assist System . . .242
▫ Parallel Parking Space Assistance Operation/Display. . . . . . . . . . . . .. .244
▫ Perpendicular Parking Space Assistance Operation/Display. . . . . . . . . .248
 PARKVIEW® REAR BACK UP CAMERA — IF EQUIPPED . . . . . . . . .255

Turning ParkView® On Or Off — With Uconnect® 5.0 . . . . . . . . . . . .. .257
Turning ParkView® On Or Off — With Uconnect® 8.4A/8.4AN . . . . . . .. .257

Turning ParkView® On Or Off — With Uconnect® 5.0
1. Press the “Settings” button.
2. Press the “Safety & Assistance” soft-key.
3. Press the check box soft key next to “Parkview®
Backup Camera” to enable/disable.

Turning ParkView® On Or Off — With Uconnect® 8.4A/8.4AN
1. Press the “Settings” soft-key.
2. Press the “Safety & Driving Assistance” soft-key.
3. Press the check box soft key next to “Parkview®
Backup Camera” to enable/disable.

Reactions: edu8rdo

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
whitebomber said:
That makes no sense...
It's the crash mitigation software.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The electromechanical parking brake is here. You'll be stuck buying old clunkers soon if you want hand-pull brakes.
Then how in the world am I going to do bat-turns?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with the parking brake engaging while pulling out from a stop. My car has 120 miles on it and took it in for service for parking brake engaging while car is moving. They updated the computer and after a day the same problem. I pulled it out of the garage today and the parking brake engaged and stopped the car. It was like running into a fixed object and violently jerked my body in the car. I am afraid to drive this vehicle and am going to either have it towed to the dealership or try to drive it there slowly.
My Cherokee came home from the shop today, with this exact problem unresolved. They could not duplicate. A very similar incident occurred with my Jeep a little over a week ago. Dealer had it for one week then released it. Did you resolve your problem?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Saltwatercowboy wrote: <<Are you sure it is not the brake assist engaging? Just a thought. I disabled mine during winter months because if false readings from snow>>

I went through the exact same thing. It kept slamming in the brakes in the driveway as I was backing out because of the snow piled along the side. I disabled mine, too.

Edit: I just realized that this was a zombie thread. The OP posted the complaint as his/her first and only post last April and has never returned to tell us the resolution.

Reactions: MD11Planeguy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking for help here also. 2014 Limited with 25,000 mi. Had it for service two weeks ago for premature airbag deployment recall; 15 minute computer update and that is when the problems started. The next day, on interstate going 70 mph, emergency brake suddenly comes on. MIL light comes on, emergency brake light on dash comes on, screen warning "Pull over and service transmission immediately". Car seems to be in 2nd or 3rd gear, 3500 rpm at 40 mph is as fast as it will go. Pulled over, stopped engine and restarted half a dozen times. MIL is still on, emergency brake light on dash is still on (not illuminated on brake button) huge clunk when shifting from park to reverse or neutral to drive. Drive light on dash is flashing as is drive light on console. After 5 minutes of stopping and starting the problem goes away, except for the MIL. Drove 50 miles with MIL on. Got home, I scanned for codes without turning the engine off; no stored codes or freeze frames. Turned engine off and restarted, MIL goes off. Dealer doesn't have a clue what is wrong. Two weeks go by and the problem doesn't reappear until last night, same exact scenario. Twice now, 70 mph, and the emergency brake comes on.
This is a failure that could cost you your life; I think the NTSB should know about this.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Looking for help here also. 2014 Limited with 25,000 mi. Had it for service two weeks ago for premature airbag deployment recall; 15 minute computer update and that is when the problems started. The next day, on interstate going 70 mph, emergency brake suddenly comes on. MIL light comes on, emergency brake light on dash comes on, screen warning "Pull over and service transmission immediately". Car seems to be in 2nd or 3rd gear, 3500 rpm at 40 mph is as fast as it will go. Pulled over, stopped engine and restarted half a dozen times. MIL is still on, emergency brake light on dash is still on (not illuminated on brake button) huge clunk when shifting from park to reverse or neutral to drive. Drive light on dash is flashing as is drive light on console. After 5 minutes of stopping and starting the problem goes away, except for the MIL. Drove 50 miles with MIL on. Got home, I scanned for codes without turning the engine off; no stored codes or freeze frames. Turned engine off and restarted, MIL goes off. Dealer doesn't have a clue what is wrong. Two weeks go by and the problem doesn't reappear until last night, same exact scenario. Twice now, 70 mph, and the emergency brake comes on.
This is a failure that could cost you your life; I think the NTSB should know about this.

This is not an e-brake issue. It is a transmission issue.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts