2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I’ve been reading this thread trying to keep up. From an outside view the thing that stands out is the recent oil change. Mobil 1 is high quality (I use it too in all my cars) and Fram is a good filter. That being said, the first thing I would try is change the filter. Maybe something is wrong with it, you never know. While your down there, check for a loose connector,broken wire, etc. it just seems awful coincidental that you changed the oil and then started having issues. Recheck the simple stuff and go from there......good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm going to run some seafoam in and then do another oil change next weekend. While under there I will remove the skid plate or whatever that bottom thing and do some inspecting.

Does your scan tool show Emissions ready test as all passed?
Not sure? I have a bare bones scanner. It tells me the pending and standard(?) codes and allows me to clear them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update:
Ran seafoam in the engine for 100 miles. Unplugged the battery. Oil change with the exact same oil, mobil 1, and same filter, fram something something. Drove it for a half hour.

The car runs the same.

The check engine light did not turn on.

P1065 still shows as permanent.

Wtf?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fram filters are Chinese junk honestly. Wix NAPA and OEM are the only filters halfway decent. There’s tons of research on it online. Wish I could help you with your code. It might be worth the trip to the dealer. These Jeeps are basically a big computer and can be finicky. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Slight update:

The check engine light has not resurfaced. I haven't checked for the permanent code, but if it's there, there is some weird driving thing you have to do. I guess it's some sort of emissions related thing where you have to idle for 40 seconds, drive 5 miles going over 25mph and it must take at least 10 minutes, followed with idling for another 40 seconds. I don't get it.

I miss the good old days, where you could unplug the battery and it would clear everything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Final update -

A few days after the last post I made, the light turned on. The code also still showed as pending. I attempted the universal trip reset thing. It didn't clear anything. I planned to live with the light until the Jeep died.

Well, today, the light turned off. The code disappeared. I still have no idea the true nature of the code, nor what actually fixed it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Final update -

A few days after the last post I made, the light turned on. The code also still showed as pending. I attempted the universal trip reset thing. It didn't clear anything. I planned to live with the light until the Jeep died.

Well, today, the light turned off. The code disappeared. I still have no idea the true nature of the code, nor what actually fixed it.
It's back!

Since it started to warm up the code is back. It was gone all winter.

So, any other ideas?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Last I checked(I used Mobil 1 exclusively on my previous car and had to switch to Penzoil Platinum for the Cherokee), Mobil 1 wasn't one of the "approved" oils for the 2.4L engine, and I know that even though 2 oils may bear the same 0W20 designation, there can still be small differences in their viscosity from one brand to another.

The multiair system relies on varying oil pressure in chambers between the camshaft and the intake valves, and that pressure needs to be very precisely controlled for proper timing to be achieved.

It is theoretically possible that the viscosity difference is causing some sensor reading related to the performance of the multiair system to go out of range and throw a code, while still being close enough to allow the engine to function close to normal.
When you changed the oil with the same exact oil, you replicated the condition.

It's also much more likely that there just is a malfunction in the multiair system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fram filters are Chinese junk honestly. Wix NAPA and OEM are the only filters halfway decent. There’s tons of research on it online. Wish I could help you with your code. It might be worth the trip to the dealer. These Jeeps are basically a big computer and can be finicky. Good luck.
One local guy also had impressions with fram filters coincidentally throwing random codes after it got installed. My mechanic friend mentioned to get an oem filter instead. Last time he took his Jeep for the installation of tires from 4Wheelonline plus alignment, he said no more codes after OEM filter replacement.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
One local guy also had impressions with fram filters coincidentally throwing random codes after it got installed. My mechanic friend mentioned to get an oem filter instead. Last time he took his Jeep for the installation of tires from 4Wheelonline plus alignment, he said no more codes after OEM filter replacement.
You can go Wix too, last I heard they make the Mopar filters.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts