2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
My Jeep Cherokee sport 2016 is showing the following codes: P050D and P212-2 and the engine light is on. Occasionally, the car does not start the first time then the second time it starts. I am not sure if this is related to CKP only? Any help would be appreciated. I did check the battery and it is fine.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Hello All,
My Jeep Cherokee sport 2016 is showing the following codes: P050D and P212-2 and the engine light is on. Occasionally, the car does not start the first time then the second time it starts. I am not sure if this is related to CKP only? Any help would be appreciated. I did check the battery and it is fine.
Thanks
Hi there and welcome,

Are you sure about "P212-2" ? Could it be "P2122" ? Which engine do you have ?

And sorry, I don't know what you mean by "CKP".

How did you test your battery ? Do you have numbers (CCA remaining, health%, internal resistance) ?

Thx.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, yes it is p2122 and CKP-Crankshaft position sensor. I am assuming that it would be the issue, but I am not sure why the P050D is showing???
For the battery, I just use the basic testing and it shows 12.3V. I do not have a sophisticated tool.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
The engine is 2.4 liter. Thanks
Ok...

It's not an easy search, for those codes. The P050D was addressed in a technical service bulletin, for 2015 2.4 liter Cherokees, fixed with a PCM flash, but I find nothing for 2016+. Many TSBs for other 2016 FCA vehicles with the 2.4L, but not the Cherokee...

With that said, I don't like your 12.3V number. I don't know how you took it, meaning if you had any drain on the battery at all, if you took the reading directly at the battery with everything Off, etc... but resting voltage should be higher than 12.3V. You'd need a proper load test to confirm whether the battery is still good enough. Bad batteries are known to allow all sorts of weird codes to pop up, so I would start there, for sure. Most auto parts stores and small shops can do a good load test, with an electronic tester, in only a few minutes. Never mind the old resistive testers (carbon pile) which are outdated and require full charging before and after testing. There are good small electronic testers available under $60 (just checked Amazon for my favorite one : no sellers at the moment... :-/ ).

Anyway, I hope you can have that battery tested properly. It could save you from further - and expensive - t-shooting, if this is only a bad battery situation..

Edit to add : not the same codes, but an interesting read here : Codes P0123 and P0222

Edit #2 : found the tester on eBay : Ancel BA101 Automotive Load Battery Tester Digital Analyzer Bad Cell Test Tools | eBay

... and Walmart has it : https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ancel-BA101-12V-100-2000-CCA-220AH-Automotive-Load-Battery-Tester-Digital-Analyzer-Bad-Cell-Test-Tool-for-Car-Boat-Motorcycle-and-More/936705234

·
Registered
465 Posts
ANCEL BA101 Professional 12V 100-2000 CCA 220AH Automotive Load Battery Tester Digital Analyzer Bad Cell Test Tool for Car/Boat/Motorcycle and More

On Amazon, this is the one I bought, about$55... works great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
ANCEL BA101 Professional 12V 100-2000 CCA 220AH Automotive Load Battery Tester Digital Analyzer Bad Cell Test Tool for Car/Boat/Motorcycle and More

On Amazon, this is the one I bought, about$55... works great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just checked on Amazon (US) and could not find a seller. That said, viewing Amazon US from Canada yields strange results sometimes. Did find it on eBay for $45, and Walmart has it for $55.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the update. I will do the proper testing of the battery at my auto part shop and see why they say. You are right the battery was drained when I purchased the car it might be just the battery. I hope so...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello,
Just an update on this topic. The battery was the cause of this issue and I had to buy a new battery and the issue was resolved.

Thanks All

1 - 10 of 10 Posts