2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have the MFC Gas Cap? Looks like a quality piece. Just ordered it this evening. Also purchased the Utili Mounts, basically mounts for ditch lights.

Hopefully shipping will be quick! If my experience is positive, I'll definitely purchase more from them. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Umm Might want to double think the gas cap on the 2020. The 2019+ use a capless system, so without the external door there is nothing keeping things from collecting on the filler tube waiting for it to be pushed in when you go to fill up with gas. I could be wrong unless they came out with a conversion kit, then in which case sweet.

·
Registered
928 Posts
That gas cap kit is not going to work on 2019+ as @toofastgtp said. The whole thing is different, and you don't want to start messing with the fuel filler system, or you could start to have more issues. It's designed the way it is in accordance with the emission system. Not going to work even if you were to completely fabricate something similar designed to fit the 2019+.

Edit,
Apparently they have the redesigned kit now available for the 19-20. I wasn't aware of that, so I have no idea how it will work, but if it's not working properly, you're going to have an issue with the already susceptible fuel filler system. People who try topping the tank past the first click off know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That gas cap kit is not going to work on 2019+ as @toofastgtp said. The whole thing is different, and you don't want to start messing with the fuel filler system, or you could start to have more issues. It's designed the way it is in accordance with the emission system. Not going to work even if you were to completely fabricate something similar designed to fit the 2019+.
Well, I ordered it so we shall see. The website states that it will work for 19 and up. You guy's could be completely right. Not challenging that at all. Once I get it, if it looks like it will be a problem I'll send it back... :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Copied from the website...

2019+
Finally, the only way to not only convert your EZ-Fill gas tank to a locking cap and add that functional and cosmetic flair to your Jeep build. Utilizing a patent pending design for the locking cap, you will not find anything else on this planet that will work seamlessly for your Jeep Cherokee.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Edit,
Apparently they have the redesigned kit now available for the 19-20. I wasn't aware of that, so I have no idea how it will work, but if it's not working properly, you're going to have an issue with the already susceptible fuel filler system. People who try topping the tank past the first click off know what I'm talking about.
I had no idea there was an issue! Seriously, what happens when you top off the tank?!! 😨😨

·
Registered
928 Posts
I had no idea there was an issue! Seriously, what happens when you top off the tank?!! 😨😨
There's a vapor filter system in there that will be damaged, and eventually fail causing codes, and even loss of performance. I don't have the exact name of the system, but it can be problematic. Yes, never try topping to dollar, when it clicks off, it's full. The cost of repairs is not cheap, nor easy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a vapor filter system in there that will be damaged, and eventually fail causing codes, and even loss of performance. I don't have the exact name of the system, but it can be problematic. Yes, never try topping to dollar, when it clicks off, it's full. The cost of repairs is not cheap, nor easy.
Thanks for the heads up. I honestly had no idea!

And you're saying this is an issue on all late model Cherokee's, not really year specific?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I honestly had no idea!

And you're saying this is an issue on all late model Cherokee's, not really year specific?
Yes. I know they redesigned the system a little in 2019 when they went to the capless system. I've never had a problem, but I've never tried to overfill the tank.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anybody have the MFC Gas Cap? Looks like a quality piece. Just ordered it this evening. Also purchased the Utili Mounts, basically mounts for ditch lights.

Hopefully shipping will be quick! If my experience is positive, I'll definitely purchase more from them. :)
I ordered the Utili Mounts from MFC back in May 2020 for my 2019 Jeep and still have not received them. I would have thought they were already manufactured but seems like they are still manufacturing them (As of Last Month). Hopefully the wait isn't as long anymore...

Let me know if you get an update on yours! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered the Utili Mounts from MFC back in May 2020 for my 2019 Jeep and still have not received them. I would have thought they were already manufactured but seems like they are still manufacturing them (As of Last Month). Hopefully the wait isn't as long anymore...

Let me know if you get an update on yours! :)
What?! Back in May??!!

That's a LONG time to wait! Nothing as of yet!

·
Registered
649 Posts
While it's true the 2019+ fuel fill system has changed, the evap canister has been around on every vehicle for many years. It is a charcoal canister that captures and filters gas vapors coming from your gas tank. Topping off your tank runs the risk of dumping raw fuel into the canister. Topping off has been ruining evap canisters since the early 1970's. It's just the newer cars have sensors that detect bad canisters and won't let you drive far with one full of gas.

For 2019, the "EZ Fill" system changed the way the gas gets into the tank. There is a door a few inches down the fuel fill throat. If you don't push the nozzle in far enough, the door won't open and fuel just spills on the ground. It's also a great anti-tamper device. Unless you use the special funnel (should be by your spare tire), you can't just pour anything into your tank. The funnel has a long spout to push the inner door open.

Reactions: veightinterceptor

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay so I did email MFC to see when my order will be shipped. No response as of yet.

The other member ordered his utili mounts back in May and still no shipping date.

Starting to become skeptical....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any updates on this? I was curious about the 2019+ gas cap.

Reactions: veightinterceptor
1 - 16 of 16 Posts