2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to test drive a 2014 with a V6 & factory towing package, it has 56k miles and was a fleet vehicle for 25k, then sold to an individual and repossessed, sold at auction to carmax and now for sale again. All the recalls have been done and I've been told carmax is really good at making sure all scheduled maintenance has been done and they are picky about which cars they sell, for what that's worth. I've never used them.
- So I tried to educate myself a bit on the trans issues for this year and saw someone posted recently that if the trans has been programmed to remove the 3-2-1 downshifting, to walk away, but I have seen quite a few owners of this year say they have lived with it for a long time. Some folks posted they adapted to it and I think my driving style would be fine with it, sure occasionally it would get me, but I always come to a complete stop and don't jump out into traffic from slow speed unless there is plenty of room. Heck I drove an 80's ranger with no 3rd or 5th gear for over a year, lol.
So, is there a way to bypass this? It seemed like I read here you can use ERC or Sport mode to get it to go into 2nd at slow speeds or when towing. Or is it always going to stay in 3rd no matter what?

It seems like missing 2nd gear would be terrible for towing around down/back roads/boat ramps, which is mostly what I do

My wife will occasionally be driving this and that won't work for her, she never comes to a complete stop and the bucking 3rd gear at slow speed would be a deal breaker, unless of course I could tell her to just always use sport mode or something.:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
7,328 Posts
I have a 2014 with V6 and tow

I can't say about using Sport mode or any other gimmick to try and get 2nd gear back for a rolling stop (I made the mistake of having updates done just before warranty expired, lost 2nd on the downshift to a stop)

FWIW, I tow a trailer all the time, literally. It's been unhooked once for a trip to Florida and only unhooked locally to hook up a different trailer. My work trailer runs about 2000-3500 depending on materials load, but mostly closer to 2200 daily. I have about 60k miles and really don't miss 2nd gear on the stop much at all. Otherwise my transmission has been flawless.

You still have 2nd gear, it just doesn't downshift to 2nd coming to a stop.....rolls down in 3rd until basically complete stop, then 1st...if you coast through a stop sign, etc you launch in 3rd. IF you come to a complete stop, upshifts normally 1-2-3 etc

Hope that help

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am going to test drive a 2014 with a V6 & factory towing package, it has 56k miles and was a fleet vehicle for 25k, then sold to an individual and repossessed, sold at auction to carmax and now for sale again. All the recalls have been done and I've been told carmax is really good at making sure all scheduled maintenance has been done and they are picky about which cars they sell, for what that's worth. I've never used them.
- So I tried to educate myself a bit on the trans issues for this year and saw someone posted recently that if the trans has been programmed to remove the 3-2-1 downshifting, to walk away, but I have seen quite a few owners of this year say they have lived with it for a long time. Some folks posted they adapted to it and I think my driving style would be fine with it, sure occasionally it would get me, but I always come to a complete stop and don't jump out into traffic from slow speed unless there is plenty of room. Heck I drove an 80's ranger with no 3rd or 5th gear for over a year, lol.
So, is there a way to bypass this? It seemed like I read here you can use ERC or Sport mode to get it to go into 2nd at slow speeds or when towing. Or is it always going to stay in 3rd no matter what?

It seems like missing 2nd gear would be terrible for towing around down/back roads/boat ramps, which is mostly what I do

My wife will occasionally be driving this and that won't work for her, she never comes to a complete stop and the bucking 3rd gear at slow speed would be a deal breaker, unless of course I could tell her to just always use sport mode or something.:unsure:
If you put it in SNOW MODE, it will not do this behavior because it start in 2nd gear, that's what i realised in the winter when i use snow mode, so if i drive somewhere that have a lot of stops i leave it in that mode.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skip that is actually very helpful, you don't seem to have any problems towing with it, that's great info for me.
- So is it like taking off in 2nd with a manual transmission? Where it is just sluggish until rpm's are reached? I read 1st gear in these, esp the towing package, is super low so 2nd is more like 1st in a regular trans.

Thank dedelec! I knew I read you could avoid it somehow, that is very helpful as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love my 2014 v6 and have had it for about 6 months purchased from my father and well maintained, however the only thing I have an issue with is the transmission and I hate the headlights (or lack of them) however this is something that can be fixed and upgraded.

I have not tried the sport or snow modes but maybe those would help with my issues or complaints. Maybe it's partially the way I drive but that's my only real complaint about the car that I can't change but it's something I get used to until something weird happens, usually at one specific stop sign in my town at the bottom of a hill that I take a right hand turn at the stop sign to go up hill and it always seems to launch out of that stop sign.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Lunatics, the model I will be looking at has the HID lights already I think.
Thanks for the input on the trans, would you say you are an aggressive driver? My wife certainly is, I'm constantly mashing my imaginary break pedal when I ride with her, lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts