2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Oil Filter Housing leak...

91K views 61 replies 32 participants last post by  bobeye1221 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,

I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with about 46,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer to get a cruise control recall fixed and of course, they did a multi-point inspection and found an oil leak. After they diagnosed it, it turned out to be leaking from the "Oil Filter Housing". They said it'd be fixed tomorrow (that's good) but I am wondering if this is a common problem. (I purchased a lifetime warranty so this repair is covered - I have a $100 deductible so that's good! I have enclosed the initial multi-point report that states the problem... this was before they diagnosed it... hope you can read it!

I don't have all the details yet as it has not been fixed yet. I was just doing some research on this problem and thought I'd let you guys know.

Thanks!

David

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My '16 Trailhawk had the same issue about a month after I bought it (at the beginning of this year). Was covered under warranty, but the dealership had to order parts so they gave me a Fiat 500c as a loaner. Just made me miss my TH even more. Anywho, dealership said they've seen it a few other times and they think it stems from the housing being overtightened. Another reason to justify doing the oil changes myself.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I have a 2015 Cherokee and just got off of the phone with my mechanic and he informed me my leak was from the oil filter housing. He called the dealer local Jeep dealer and was informed they are replacing these cheap plastic housings like crazy. It was changed for metal to plastic in 2014. This repair is going to cost me just north of $500. Really poor engineering to make this part our of plastic.

#5 ·
Hello All,
Has anyone ever called Chrysler to cover the coast of a rental?
My 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee started showing oil in the drive way last week and I made an appointment to have it looked at. I was told by my mechanic, that it appears to be leaking from the oil filter housing and to check with the dealership where I purchased the jeep, used in August of 2016 with an extended warranty, if this is covered. I called my the Jeep service department of the dealership where I purchased this Jeep, and was told the earliest available service appointment was Monday April 1st, approx. 1 week from the date I called on. I explained that it had leaked oil in my driveway and at the job site I was visiting. I also over shared when I asked if I purchased the vehicle from then, yes this jeep was purchased from them with the extended warranty. I explained that this was our 2nd Jeep Grand Cherokee purchased from them.
When I explained that I also was hoping to have a loaner, I was told the date of the 1st available loaner was an even longer lead time. I am leaking oil daily. I was encourage to call Chrysler to ask for a claim # or for them to cover a rental for the day or possibly more if repair was need. I need to call tomorrow and was hoping to have some feedback on anyone's experiences before I make the call. Thanks in advance for any help or feedback.

#6 ·
@Heintzgc while this is a Cherokee forum we should be able to help you on that question. Personally I have had loaners at least 5 different occasions with my Cherokee and every time the dealer has to first diagnose the jeep and verify the work is warranty work. What they make me do is put a CC on file for the rental vehicle and once diagnose the repair as warranty they change the rental in their system to being billed to FCA. When I have called FCA they always tell me rental/loaners are handled at the dealer level and have been limited help. I personally would check with your dealer but you should in theory be able to get a rental from them. Put a card on file. Check your jeep in for repairs and if warranty they bill FCA for repairs and the rental.

#7 ·
I have 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with 30,000. The oil filter housing is leaking. I was lucky to get this vehicle off of lease with only 3000 miles. It appears this is common. Interested if anyone has heard of a recall. Also, wondering if this is safety (fire) hazard. It appears to dripping on exhaust. Any advice? Thanks!

#8 ·
Hi there and welcome !

No recall, you're stuck with the repair... Yeah it's a known problem, the early housings (2014) were really cheap/flimsy, they've since been revised. My advice : shop around for the lowest bidder on this job ; those with experience can do it more quickly and hopefully charge accordingly... Best of luck :smile:

#10 ·
Could be a common problem with those early Cherokees.
There was a new part # for the housing as a result. So any replacements would be better than the original.

The problems as I saw it was:
#1 . Being plastic it was torque sensitive. Over torqueing plastic attachments is never good. Plastic can handle heat ect. but can not handle over torqueing.
It might take several times of over torqueing (mild) but eventually it will fail and leak.
#2 . With this filter housing there is a simple click and stop rule from what I understand. When you hear the click, it is tight enough.
#3 . On mine the lube shop or the dealer, not sure which one, put a white dot on my housing to mark the sweet spot. Obviously someone figured out early
on there was an issue with overtightening.

But actually overtightening can be an issue with those that are use to the old days of oil changes and spin on filters. Even in the old days I would only hand tighten and then a further nudge like a quarter turn with a tool. Oil pan bolts are another issue along the same lime. You never want to over torque them.

#13 ·
In broad terms the power train warranty covers lubricated drivetrain parts only. I am sure there are a few exceptions though.

That filter housing on the 2014 is susceptible to cracking due to being overtightened. That can be one or several overtightening episodes weakening the plastic over time. It was replaced with a updated part and part number.
The general rule on that filter housing is that it is tightened to the first click only ( assuming you can hear it). Also some have put matching white dotes on the base and the housing to indicate correct finished position. That was done on mine.
It is not like the old medal spin on filters that could absorb some over tightening.:smile:

#14 ·
Ran into the exactly the same issue today. I own 2014 Cherokee Limited (4x4 with 3.2L engine. Currently have a bit over 40K miles on it). I did an oil change last Saturday and the mechanics there noticed a seepage/leakage but due to scheduling, had it properly checked today. I am really grateful for the mechanics there as they found out that the issue was with the oil housing.

I see that FCA Customer Support Group is on the thread but I don't know if they are doing anything about this issue. Without knowing the seriousness of the issue, I brought the car to a family trip over the past few days - the thought that I could have endangered my family really throws me off.

Reading this thread, looks like this is a common issue and a structural issue, i.e. plastic parts not providing the necessary durability, that could happen to anyone. Not sure why this does not become a recall issue and that the owners have to pay out of the pocket + take the risk.

A bit disappointed by the Jeep brand. (But I still love it, I have to admit :( ).

#15 ·
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude with the 3.2L engine V6 having a major oil leak.It seemed to start overnight. We've had some negative temperatures lately so I don't know if that affected it or not. Anyway, I assume it's the oil filter housing from the research I've done and this thread. I see someone said something about they've replaced the part. Do they have a new version of the oil filter housing or is it still the plastic one?

#17 ·
Do you know if there is a new part number? ==> The part # I have on my invoice is "68105583-AF Adapter E 09046008" if this helps. I don't know if this is the revised part or not... but assuming from the fact that my mechanic bought it directly from Jeep Dealership, I think it would be the new one. (And... I think it is still plastic... but (hopefully) better plastic :( ).

BTW, my experience was similar. It started to pour down out of nowhere :(

#19 ·
Do you know if there is a new part number? ==> The part # I have on my invoice is "68105583-AF Adapter E 09046008" if this helps. I don't know if this is the revised part or not... but assuming from the fact that my mechanic bought it directly from Jeep Dealership, I think it would be the new one. (And... I think it is still plastic... but (hopefully) better plastic :( ).

BTW, my experience was similar. It started to pour down out of nowhere :(
Thank you! That is the part number they quoted me at the dealership. It's going in to my mechanic, tomorrow to get fixed. Unfortunately, I missed the power train warranty it expired at the 5yr mark in May 2019. :( I'm only at 54k miles.

#20 ·
Well guys, it’s definitely the oil filter housing. There is oil EVERYWHERE! How this hasn’t been a recall I do not understand. My 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude was just in the dealer shop on 12/18/19 for the transmission recall and no leak then. But then again maybe they didn’t do the inspection they said they did. Because apparently they didn’t finish the recall either because they couldn’t get the transmission to temp. Difficult to do when you don’t drive it with temps below freezing. I’m rambling now! Sorry! For it to leak as much oil as it has onto the exhaust it is a fire hazard. Of course my 5yr/100,000 extended warranty expired in 5/2019 with 54k miles today. So frustrating!

#22 ·
Me again, just going to pass on some information for everyone/anyone having an issue with the failure of the oil filter housing. I spoke to Jeep helpline today and they said since I was out of warranty they would have done something for me through Goodwill. Since my warranty expired in 5/2019 and I only have 54k miles on my Cherokee. However, since I didn't take it to the dealer there is nothing they can do for me. So, I called NHTSA and filed a safety hazard complaint. If anyone has had or is having this issue, please call the NHTSA hotline at 888-327-4236 and file a complaint or go online and file a complaint at www.nhtsa.gov If you have any pictures of the oil leaking on the exhaust manifold or other evidence of the problem please share them. I'm getting mine from my independent certified mechanic.

#25 ·
My dealer has replaced oil filter housings. Haven't had any problems with the new ones breaking.
The real problem is the mechanics, if they don't use the proper tools, a torque wrench in this case, they can break anything.
I have been changing my own oil and correctly torque the cap and have not had a problem.
Plastic is used because it is light, not because it is strong.
The plastic end caps on my Oldsmobile just decided to recycle themselves and crack. The solution was to replace the radiator.

#26 ·
Same here! Super unhappy. I just took my 2014 Grand Cherokee Latitude for my 2nd oil change and was told my oil filter housing, intake gasket is leaking. Took it into my dealership a couple days later. I have a lifetime powertrain warranty but this is not covered. Priced so far at 2 different dealerships and it’s $653 to repair out of pocket. I purchased this vehicle used but i’ve only put 12,000 one the vehicle and already putting big money into a repair does not make me happy. Also, on my way to the dealership today my left rear molding fell off.... like fell off!! So it’s laying along the road somewhere. I priced having that replaced and it was $270 wow! I left the dealership very unhappy today and am now looking for a mechanic. Why is the oil filter housing not a recall? Clearly this is a common problem. And if it’s as simple as a replacement part why isn’t everyone being offered this through Jeep?

#29 ·
I'd definitely call the FCA hotline and get it straightened out because I had a customer service representative tell me that the oil filter/ cooler housing is indeed covered under the powertrain warranty. They had to dig deep and put me on hold a few times but they told me it was covered!

#30 ·
Common problem for the 2014 filter assembly. But variable depending on how the filter is changed.
Its common only if the filter is over tightened. There was a new replacement part # that was stronger or suppose to be.That replacement replaced the original OEM one.
The general rule was to tighten to the first click only. I would also imagine that being plastic over tightening a bit over time could still lead to failure. The plastic is being stressed each time its tightened thus weakening it each time till it fails. The key here is to NEVER over tighten that filter on re-install. First click and you are done. Start that Cherokee up and let it run and check for leaks.
If you have the dealer or lube shop change your oil you must check the job. That is for leaks and proper fill.
Another suggestion is to mark that click spot with white paint dots on both connecting parts.

#32 ·
Common problem for the 2014 filter assembly. But variable depending on how the filter is changed.
Its common only if the filter is over tightened. There was a new replacement part # that was stronger or suppose to be.That replacement replaced the original OEM one.
The general rule was to tighten to the first click only. I would also imagine that being plastic over tightening a bit over time could still lead to failure. The plastic is being stressed each time its tightened thus weakening it each time till it fails. The key here is to NEVER over tighten that filter on re-install. First click and you are done. Start that Cherokee up and let it run and check for leaks.
If you have the dealer or lube shop change your oil you must check the job. That is for leaks and proper fill.
Another suggestion is to mark that click spot with white paint dots on both connecting parts.
While this might be an issue for some. My oil filter housing was actually warped. It had nothing to do with the filter itself. Even the oil coolant was leaking. It's a piss poor design period. This excuse is just that the blame game. Why would you put a part on a vehicle that can be a castrophic failure?

#34 ·
To add my 2 cents, my 2015 V6 has the same oil cooler/filter housing leak. The estimate is $795 to fix. I have been trying to the the used car dealer to file a claim under the 50/50 warranty to cover this as I mentioned to him at the time of the road test I was smelling burning oil. Still have not heard back.
Agreed this is a really sad design and makes me worry that maybe I made a mistake in buying this Jeep.

-BobC

#42 ·
To add my 2 cents, my 2015 V6 has the same oil cooler/filter housing leak. The estimate is $795 to fix. I have been trying to the the used car dealer to file a claim under the 50/50 warranty to cover this as I mentioned to him at the time of the road test I was smelling burning oil. Still have not heard back.
Agreed this is a really sad design and makes me worry that maybe I made a mistake in buying this Jeep.

-BobC
Update, the selling dealer has fallen on to some extremely hard times, his wife passed away and he has been hospitalized with cancer and now a heart attack.
I had my Jeep scheduled to be repaired when the dealer‘s wife passed on and he closed for a while. Add the pandemic to the mix and I was basically out of luck.
Took my Jeep to my trusted repair shop for its annual state inspection, it failed due to the oil leak.
$765 dollars later the leak has been fixed. New oil, new filter and new coolant as the intake had to be removed to change the oil cooler/filter housing.

While there I had them program a new key fob, was supposed to be a fairly easy job.
What really burned my backside was the hoops my shop had to jump through I order to get the codes from the dealer I order to finish the fob programming.
2 days of calls and emails and forms later my shop was able to do the job.
6 months ago, as he tells me, it would take a single 5 minute call to the dealer. Now it is an act of Congress to do this.
$100 later and all is well. The dealer had quoted me $297 for a fob and programming.

-BobC

#35 ·
FWIW, I just took my '15 TH in for several things - control arm bushings (see my "warranty dispute" thread), a "service shifter" message (apparently covered by a TSB already), and my MIL, which just came on about a day ago. No performance issues, couldn't tell what it was, so I assumed an electrical or sensor gremlin of some sort.

Service Advisor tells me the likely culprit is a cracked oil filter housing, so they're going to replace it. If that's not it, it's a related electrical or sensor gremlin, all of which will be covered under my lifetime/unlimited MaxCare warranty.

My oil filter housing lasted at least 190K miles, though. I didn't notice any mess or other signs of problems when I changed it around 185K.

-Rob

#36 ·
Well it appears I'm joining the cracked filter housing club. Just bought my 14 GC Overland a few months ago and already had to repair the air suspension ($$$$) and now this will have to be repaired before I can drive it again as it seems unsafe.
While driving, every time I came to a stop I had smoke coming from under the hood and smell of burning oil. Got home was afraid to park it in the garage.... after it cooled I saw pooled oil under the filter, not to mention splattered everywhere underneath. I cannot afford another $800 repair as I'm off work due to Covid, and I don't feel great about having to go to the mechanic during the Stay at Home order. I don't understand how there's not a recall, it seems like a fire hazard, or a person could run it out of oil without knowing. To boot I'm out of warranty, wasn't aware I could transfer from previous owner and now it's past the 30 days. I guess it will get parked unless anyone has a suggestion??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.