2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Now, get this, I called on Thursday to each Jeep dealer in Anchorage, AK and one had four, and the other had one oil filter housing in stock. My mechanic called today and they are both sold out. This has to be a manufacture defect. Part # 68105583-AF

·
Registered
13 Posts
Me again, just going to pass on some information for everyone/anyone having an issue with the failure of the oil filter housing. I spoke to Jeep helpline today and they said since I was out of warranty they would have done something for me through Goodwill. Since my warranty expired in 5/2019 and I only have 54k miles on my Cherokee. However, since I didn't take it to the dealer there is nothing they can do for me. So, I called NHTSA and filed a safety hazard complaint. If anyone has had or is having this issue, please call the NHTSA hotline at 888-327-4236 and file a complaint or go online and file a complaint at www.nhtsa.gov If you have any pictures of the oil leaking on the exhaust manifold or other evidence of the problem please share them. I'm getting mine from my independent certified mechanic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What you mean by not taking it to the dealer is... not having it regularly serviced by the dealer or just not going and getting a diagnosis from them?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
My dealer has replaced oil filter housings. Haven't had any problems with the new ones breaking.
The real problem is the mechanics, if they don't use the proper tools, a torque wrench in this case, they can break anything.
I have been changing my own oil and correctly torque the cap and have not had a problem.
Plastic is used because it is light, not because it is strong.
The plastic end caps on my Oldsmobile just decided to recycle themselves and crack. The solution was to replace the radiator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here! Super unhappy. I just took my 2014 Grand Cherokee Latitude for my 2nd oil change and was told my oil filter housing, intake gasket is leaking. Took it into my dealership a couple days later. I have a lifetime powertrain warranty but this is not covered. Priced so far at 2 different dealerships and it’s $653 to repair out of pocket. I purchased this vehicle used but i’ve only put 12,000 one the vehicle and already putting big money into a repair does not make me happy. Also, on my way to the dealership today my left rear molding fell off.... like fell off!! So it’s laying along the road somewhere. I priced having that replaced and it was $270 wow! I left the dealership very unhappy today and am now looking for a mechanic. Why is the oil filter housing not a recall? Clearly this is a common problem. And if it’s as simple as a replacement part why isn’t everyone being offered this through Jeep?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same here! Super unhappy. I just took my 2014 Grand Cherokee Latitude for my 2nd oil change and was told my oil filter housing, intake gasket is leaking. Took it into my dealership a couple days later. I have a lifetime powertrain warranty but this is not covered. Priced so far at 2 different dealerships and it’s $653 to repair out of pocket. I purchased this vehicle used but i’ve only put 12,000 one the vehicle and already putting big money into a repair does not make me happy. Also, on my way to the dealership today my left rear molding fell off.... like fell off!! So it’s laying along the road somewhere. I priced having that replaced and it was $270 wow! I left the dealership very unhappy today and am now looking for a mechanic. Why is the oil filter housing not a recall? Clearly this is a common problem. And if it’s as simple as a replacement part why isn’t everyone being offered this through Jeep?
You should call the Jeep hotline and see if they will help you. If you take it to the dealer to get fixed it should be covered under your lifetime power train warranty. Just google Jeep Helpline they have a 800 number and hopefully will help you.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd definitely call the FCA hotline and get it straightened out because I had a customer service representative tell me that the oil filter/ cooler housing is indeed covered under the powertrain warranty. They had to dig deep and put me on hold a few times but they told me it was covered!

·
Premium Member
5,297 Posts
Common problem for the 2014 filter assembly. But variable depending on how the filter is changed.
Its common only if the filter is over tightened. There was a new replacement part # that was stronger or suppose to be.That replacement replaced the original OEM one.
The general rule was to tighten to the first click only. I would also imagine that being plastic over tightening a bit over time could still lead to failure. The plastic is being stressed each time its tightened thus weakening it each time till it fails. The key here is to NEVER over tighten that filter on re-install. First click and you are done. Start that Cherokee up and let it run and check for leaks.
If you have the dealer or lube shop change your oil you must check the job. That is for leaks and proper fill.
Another suggestion is to mark that click spot with white paint dots on both connecting parts.

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,392 Posts
This sounds frustrating, JaymieGail! Our team recommends that you continue to work with a certified dealer for these repairs, but we do understand your hesitancy with the out of pocket costs. That said, our team is happy to assist you while working with one. Please send us a private message to start.

Kate
JeepCares

·
Registered
13 Posts
Common problem for the 2014 filter assembly. But variable depending on how the filter is changed.
Its common only if the filter is over tightened. There was a new replacement part # that was stronger or suppose to be.That replacement replaced the original OEM one.
The general rule was to tighten to the first click only. I would also imagine that being plastic over tightening a bit over time could still lead to failure. The plastic is being stressed each time its tightened thus weakening it each time till it fails. The key here is to NEVER over tighten that filter on re-install. First click and you are done. Start that Cherokee up and let it run and check for leaks.
If you have the dealer or lube shop change your oil you must check the job. That is for leaks and proper fill.
Another suggestion is to mark that click spot with white paint dots on both connecting parts.
While this might be an issue for some. My oil filter housing was actually warped. It had nothing to do with the filter itself. Even the oil coolant was leaking. It's a piss poor design period. This excuse is just that the blame game. Why would you put a part on a vehicle that can be a castrophic failure?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sad part is that these coolers are the same as the 3.6 that have been failing long before the KL came along.

·
Registered
28 Posts
To add my 2 cents, my 2015 V6 has the same oil cooler/filter housing leak. The estimate is $795 to fix. I have been trying to the the used car dealer to file a claim under the 50/50 warranty to cover this as I mentioned to him at the time of the road test I was smelling burning oil. Still have not heard back.
Agreed this is a really sad design and makes me worry that maybe I made a mistake in buying this Jeep.

-BobC

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
FWIW, I just took my '15 TH in for several things - control arm bushings (see my "warranty dispute" thread), a "service shifter" message (apparently covered by a TSB already), and my MIL, which just came on about a day ago. No performance issues, couldn't tell what it was, so I assumed an electrical or sensor gremlin of some sort.

Service Advisor tells me the likely culprit is a cracked oil filter housing, so they're going to replace it. If that's not it, it's a related electrical or sensor gremlin, all of which will be covered under my lifetime/unlimited MaxCare warranty.

My oil filter housing lasted at least 190K miles, though. I didn't notice any mess or other signs of problems when I changed it around 185K.

-Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well it appears I'm joining the cracked filter housing club. Just bought my 14 GC Overland a few months ago and already had to repair the air suspension ($$$$) and now this will have to be repaired before I can drive it again as it seems unsafe.
While driving, every time I came to a stop I had smoke coming from under the hood and smell of burning oil. Got home was afraid to park it in the garage.... after it cooled I saw pooled oil under the filter, not to mention splattered everywhere underneath. I cannot afford another $800 repair as I'm off work due to Covid, and I don't feel great about having to go to the mechanic during the Stay at Home order. I don't understand how there's not a recall, it seems like a fire hazard, or a person could run it out of oil without knowing. To boot I'm out of warranty, wasn't aware I could transfer from previous owner and now it's past the 30 days. I guess it will get parked unless anyone has a suggestion??

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I can't think of anything nice to say.
Rent a cheap vehicle and live off the land.
Hopefully you have stocked up on venison and ramps.
JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket
I REALLY APOLOGIZE.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Send in all the info needed for the warranty transfer, 30 days is BS

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just put my second oil cooler on my 2014 limited kl 96k miles. They really need to ground up redesign them in metal and better seals. This time the seals failed it actually didn't crack from what I could see. Last replaced in 2016 at 48k miles. I have done all the oil changes and tighten just until that first click. Really annoying since other manufacturers that use a remote oil cooler filter housing make them of metal. GM is one who does and I know Mercedes does as well. Not sure why FCA doesn't issue a recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee; < 5000 miles
First oil change at dealership - they broke the oil cartridge housing. Wife took it back to find out why I now had a leak - they "cleaned it up" and checked it out - replacing oil. No indication from them that they had broken the housing.
Still leaking - took it back in. They finally indicated it was the housing that was broken.
Was not broken or leaking before I turned it in; dealership would not take responsibility for breaking it.

Will not be taking my vehicle back to Arapahoe Auto Nation (Centennial, Colorado)

Very dissapointed that the dealership from which I purchased this vehicle would deny that they were the cause - please spread the word regarding this service center.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts