2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back today, having received an estimate for the replacement of the oil cooler and any associated gaskets. My vehicle is a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with V6. Please let me know your experience if you've had such a repair, and thank you in advance.

Total estimated replacement cost is $1300, with a quote 3-4 hours of labor.

·
Registered
14 ,16,and a 19 limited KL all 3.2l
158 Posts
If you have some mechanical experience and tools then you can do it yourself. I did mine and took 5 hours because took my time and did other things but really not hard to do. I think all the parts totaled was around $350. Watch some you tube videos a few times and your confidence will increase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input. I would do it myself, even have a lift here at my disposal, but I think I'll go with the dealer, for the warranty that will go with. They're also putting in a new drive shaft, so I'll just make a day of it. Not happy with the expense, but I guess it's my "car payment" now.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yep would recommend trying to find the dorman metal version if possible. I have been through 2 of the oem plastic coolers. Seems they last about 50k miles on average. Never been overtightened they just start weeping oil. Terrible design. If your able to diy you will save a ton. Yeah the dealer one will carry some warranty but its not worth $1200 which is mostly labor. Its an easy install and very hard to mess up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I have a disability that would prevent my spending the necessary time to do it myself, and the dorman was unavailable (dealer would install customer supplied parts). I had the oem equipment installed yesterday, and am glad to have it done.

·
Registered
2019 Cherokee Limited
49 Posts
Is their an issue with the oil cooler, last service at 36k kilometres had a leak identified with the lines which required a six week wait for parts and now at 40k kilometres have another leak and turns out I need a new oil cooler and the dealership advised that the car can not be driven. Waiting to see how long the parts wait will be on this, didn’t expect having issues like this at such low kilometres and so glad I have a five year warranty. Hope this isn’t an ongoing problem for this model.

·
Registered
14 ,16,and a 19 limited KL all 3.2l
158 Posts
I had my oil cooler adapter leak and still drove it but did check the oil every 3 days until the part was available

·
Registered
2019 Cherokee Limited
49 Posts
I had my oil cooler adapter leak and still drove it but did check the oil every 3 days until the part was available
They have told me it’s the cooler itself that needs to be replaced and that it can’t be driven so they have given me a loan car till the part arrives

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes the oil cooler is a common failure part. There have been revisions and the newer ones seem a bit better regarding the o ring seals but its still a cheap plastic piece that can warp or crack and leak. Sometimes they leak from a careless oil change tech overtightening the oil cap but many times they just start leaking due to their design with being plastic and many o rings etc.

Dorman aftermarket makes a metal version but it can be hard to find and requires some assembly moving the actual metal cooler over to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts