2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another oil post but…
The manual specifies 5w 20 but says that 5w 30 can be used if not available.
2014 TH 3.2, 67,000klms.
I live in sunny Queensland in Aus so it doesn’t get very cold even in our winter as it is now and it can be very hot in summer.
yesterday my local auto store had a sale and I bought these 2 oils at a good price.

I‘m interested in any thoughts from members as to whether one would be better than the other or should I not use any of them?
The book does mention Shell Helix.
They are both rated Acea C3 and are full synthetic. I know I’ll have to get another litre of the shell to make the 5.6 litres needed…
I‘ve used Magnatec oils for many years on other vehicles with no problems.
Thanks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Either of them will provide all of the lubrication needs that your engine requires. Go with the best price.

That Shell Helix looks to be the Australian version of the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum that we get in the US. Shell makes excellent oils and if the price was the same I would choose the Shell. I'm guessing though that you'll get a better deal with that generously sized 7 liter bottle of the Castrol.

But again, you can't go wrong with either.

Reactions: arudlang

·
Registered
47 Posts
They’re both API SN, ACEA C3 and GM Dexos2, which is not the same as Dexos1 Generation 2, so it’s hard to say one is “better” than the other. The Helix is actually the same oil as the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L, not the Ultra Platinum, sold here in the states. It’s a very good oil that also carries the MB 229.31 and 229.51 as well as the BMW LL04 certifications. I believe the Magnatec carries the MB 229.31/229.51 certifications but I’m not sure about the BMW LL04. Both will have an HTHS viscosity around 3.5 so both are way more than adequate. I really like the Shell GTL base stock but you could go with whichever one is cheaper.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I don’t paying a bit more so I think I’ll stick with the Shell and return the magnatec.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts