2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dang - this forum seems a little bit dead. I live in Arlington and just picked up a TH. I bought this thing to go off-roading and see things from a different angle. I'm new to the sport/hobby, having only banged up HMMWVs. Looking to learn!

I guess this is a pretty open ended question, but does anyone in the area know of any good trails to start out on? Or a club? A quick Google search turned up a few clubs, but they seem defunct. I figure there has GOT to be stuff out in the Shenandoah... around Old Rag, White Oak, Loft Mt?

Any help would be awesome... or a meet up!

· Registered
130 Posts
Be more specific where you are from.

But I live in Iowa and the first thing I did was go on the IOWA DOT site and looked for level B (earthen) roads in my county. I have been having a lot of fun on them. Especially when they are muddy. And they do get muddy. The DOT web site for your state will have county maps of all of the roads.

So get online and see if you can find any in your area and try it out and don't get stuck!! :)

· Registered
391 Posts
Dang - this forum seems a little bit dead. I live in Arlington and just picked up a TH. I bought this thing to go off-roading and see things from a different angle. I'm new to the sport/hobby, having only banged up HMMWVs. Looking to learn!

I guess this is a pretty open ended question, but does anyone in the area know of any good trails to start out on? Or a club? A quick Google search turned up a few clubs, but they seem defunct. I figure there has GOT to be stuff out in the Shenandoah... around Old Rag, White Oak, Loft Mt?

Any help would be awesome... or a meet up!
Have a Facebook page?? If not I'll private message the next time my buddies go out... Peters mill has a trail. There is an off road park in Woodbridge that has newbie runs as well.

Reactions: MarinR00

· Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@mmooretrailhawk14, that would be awesome! I don't really do FB (I'm on here WAY more often), so please shoot me a note.

I'm not going to lie, new to Off-roading. I know folks will laugh, but I signed my fiancé and I up for Offroad 101 at Rausch Creek in PA. Just to get a feel for the vehicle and all.

****, I don't even know if I am tagging people the right way in the post! (@...)

But thanks, and I can't wait to get 'er muddy,

· Premium Member
4,704 Posts
This forum shouldn't look down on your for going to an offroad class... I have sat through some before... and Better Safe than Sorry. People need a safe environment to test their vehicle abilities with some guidance. BTW, on offroad class is a great way to learn how to do everything the SAFE way

· Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Hudsonhawk, nope, Arlington VA. But if I'm ever down that way, I'll be sure to hit you up! I'm into Highpointing (going to the highest point in each State), so I'll have to head to Guadalupe Peak eventually!

@zzjdzz, thank you for that. I appreacite the support. Its pretty intimidating coming on here with folks talking about rear locking differential, Hi Lift jacks and whatnot. I've learned a ton reading these topics. Next step is to take it into the real world! Rather not pick up any bad habits, right off the bat!

· Registered
4 Posts
MarinR00: I've had some off-roading experience and I also signed up for Rausch Creek 101 and 201. There is no shame in wanting to have some new experiences and learn your vehicle under a little more controlled environments. Put my Rocky Road Outfitters Rock Rails on this past weekend. Looking forward to having that protection.

BTW: The avatar picture is me at Red Cloud (Woodbridge, VA) park with temp tags ;-)

Have fun at the class! Maybe I'll see you out there.

· Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Z Stig , that's right in Woodbridge? Wow! I'll have to check it out. And if you are doing your 101 class at Rausch in April, you'll see me there. I'd be interested to hear what 102 is all about!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.