2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for gear to take or have in my TH? I have a 30’ tow strap and a first aid kit. Any suggestions welcome. I’m a beginner and won’t be doing anything to crazy ..... yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
291 Posts
Umm...Phone, Flashlight, Fleshlight (unless ya got a wife to take :laugh:), Compass, Shovel, Trash bags. Maybe small tool/socket set. Water/food for you, maybe jug of coolant for car. Phone charger/battery. That's about all I can think of without getting too extreme. Enjoy your trip!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
This is what I carry when I go off-road....or on-road for that matter. I keep this stuff in my KL to assist any motorist that might need help:smile:

Off-Road Recovery Kit
- Tool Box*with Misc Tools
- 48" Hi-Lift Jack
- Stock Scissor Jack
- Wood Platform for Stock Jack
- 2x Large Shackles
- 1x Medium Shackles
- 2x Custom Splice Soft Shackles*
- Tow Strap*
- Tree Saver*
- Traction Boards
- Gloves
- Zip Ties
- Garbage Bags
- Rags
- WD40
- Hex Keys and wrenches
- Air Compressor
- Tire Deflator/Gauge*
- Slime
- Headlamp
- Leatherman
- Duct Tape
- Jumper Cables
- Space Blanket
- First Aid Kit
- Prybar
- Shovel
- Hammer
- Fire Extinguisher
- Jumper Cables

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here are a few other things to take as well that i see way too many people overlook when packing up to do an offroad trip. most of which can fit in a back pack but could be the difference in making it out if things go bad off the beaten path.

Aside from everything for the vehicle here are a few things I always keep with me even if im just going for a quick cruise down a trail Ive done 1000 times or exploring a new desert wash in parts unknown.

WATER, I always say carry double what you think you may need

Extra Food, a few cans of spagettios or raviolios come in handy if things go wrong on the trail

A change of clothes including jackets chonies and shoes. (preferably in a dry bag of some sort)

A fire making kit, a Lighter, an empty soup can with a few holes poked in it and a pack of wood shims from the local hardware store can save your life.
A Knife, can opener, fork, and spoon cup and plate

A roll of TP. because leaves and rocks are no fun

A flare gun with extra flares.

A Hatchet that can be used to cut wood and as a hammer if need be.

A personal locator beacon with 2 extra sets of batteries..

·
Registered
107 Posts
It depends on what you consider "off-roading" which is something I would to in a Wrangler not a Cherokee. If you're driving on dirt roads and mountain trails (which is what the vast majority of people do) you need very little. If you are really going on isolated mountain narrow "jeep/4WD" excursions then you need a few things that have been mentioned and half of some of that. If truly "off-roading" I take a CB Radio, Chainsaw, wench, water, first-aid bag....Flares will burn down a forest so...........no. Something not mentioned is that if your vehicle is equipped properly, your tires are adequate for the terrain that you are going to, you stay away from terrain and activity you are not trained for or experienced with, you'll be fine.

Most people get into trouble because they venture out alone without proper training and experience and they take their showroom-stock Jeep where it shouldn't be. Here in the part of the country where bedrock mountain passes will shred street tires or "all-season" tires that some think are off-road capable, we have more problems from people being where they and their vehicle have no business being. Venture out with others and make sure you vehicle is properly equipped. Also remember that a tow-strap is what you use to pull someone you encounter out of their mess. To extricate yourself from a mess, you need a wench which most Cherokees will never see. Stay safe.

Reactions: Iron

·
Super Moderator
4,160 Posts
Take someone in another vehicle that has some experience.

Don't go alone, especially as a newbie.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Matt's videos (linked below) illustrate the kind of trouble off-roaders get into during their adventures in beautiful southern Utah. His recovery technique is based on a modified XJ, elastic ropes, kinetic energy, and resourcefulness. One of my favorite YouTube channels: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwdVOry0oNF9WIe_3uCfz9Q

Reactions: Iron
1 - 7 of 7 Posts