2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
After having the opportunity to play around with a 2021 TH (picked one up for my parents) the offroad pages is pretty much a joke. It displays an inclimeter, bur everything else it does is already displayed through the EVIC in the middle of the dash. It doesn't show anything fancy like power distribution or anything like that. I wouldn't be too worried if the earlier models don't get it.

I was looking forward to seeing power transfer since I can see that in AlfaOBD but again nothing like that there.

I don’t know still seems dope, especially with everything on one big screen. Altimeter is nice too, I don't have that anywhere else?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Eh, just buy the lockpick air and roll your own whatever you want to the screen. I'm probably going to go that route at some point. Throw in an Apple TV or a roku, etc.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thanks for the screen shots! The main thing I was interested in is the gauge package all on one screen, without having to scroll through on the center screen. Since all that information IS available, I just don't understand WHY they can't offer it on ALL UConnect vehicles?!?! 🤨 😕

·
Registered
103 Posts
As I suspected, different hardware part numbers. One can hope they are compatible, but I'll bet not.
I 'm willing to take that bet. Whether the software is written in C, C++, Visual Basic, Java etc.
They did not rewrite the Pre 2021 in a different software language. The added a application into the existing program to display existing information.
Adding Screen Displays typically doesn't require a large amount of memory.

Thanks to Skwormin for the providing the Software Version.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I 'm willing to take that bet. Whether the software is written in C, C++, Visual Basic, Java etc.
They did not rewrite the Pre 2021 in a different software language. The added a application into the existing program to display existing information.
Adding Screen Displays typically doesn't require a large amount of memory.

Thanks to Skwormin for the providing the Software Version.
However, you have no idea what additional sensors might have been incorporated to detect, say, "pitch up" (i.e. inclination). I'm an ex-software engineer so I'm sensitive to the hardware compatibility of the system. All that it takes is for one hardware incompatibility for FCA to say "it isn't worth the effort".

Prove me wrong! My feelings won't be hurt. But as it stands, even FCA is saying it ain't going to happen.

·
Registered
434 Posts
So the way I personally look at it I have most of the gauges that I can fan through on steering wheel console.
With the CarPlay it leaves my Phone available to use my favourite clinometer app or buy a stand alone one. They kinda look cool and give your passenger something to talk about. But your seat of the pants and gut feel is pretty accurate also and it has never failed me and it doesn’t need calibration.

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

·
Registered
103 Posts
However, you have no idea what additional sensors might have been incorporated to detect, say, "pitch up" (i.e. inclination). I'm an ex-software engineer so I'm sensitive to the hardware compatibility of the system. All that it takes is for one hardware incompatibility for FCA to say "it isn't worth the effort".

Prove me wrong! My feelings won't be hurt. But as it stands, even FCA is saying it ain't going to happen.
FLAME ON:
All I wish to see is the Advertised Late 2019 Software update that was in the 2019 Sales Brochure, Based on that, I would think the required hardware was in place.
I can't prove you wrong, Can you prove your right ? ( Polite Jab, Not to Hurt )
I would believe FCA if there was some official release stating that. Not someone in a brief text message with Jeep Cares. I would like to hear more detail why, wouldn't you like to hear a factual reason. I'm more inclined to believe the Costs $$, is the reason not to update all the 2019 and 2020 4C-NAV units .
I agree that if the sensors aren't there that would require some modifications. The ESC stability control probably has the sensors

See UN4GTBL post about the JLs.

I'm basing my opinion from working for over 30 years with industrial PLCs , IO, and HMI. Rockwell Allen Bradley, Siemens, ABB, etc
Designing and Programming Industrial Control systems. Granted that was using the PLC manufactures programming software.
I have very limited exposure to C, C+, Java type of programming languages

Anyhow
Hope everyone has a Good Thanksgiving Holiday. Here in the US

Note: Life will go on with or without the Off Road Pages

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's not totally correct. The 2018 JLs had Off-Road pages removed and added via software updates.
For sure, I hope he's wrong. I did specify KL 2020 so maybe this guy specifically knows. Or maybe they specifically have no idea :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2019 that I bought in July 2019. I bought it the day it came off the truck. I am in Canada if it makes any difference.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
946 Posts
Can you explain?
There is a company out there that makes a piggyback wiring harness to tap into the one connecting to the dash entertainment system. It also hooks into some buttons on climate control to allow you to basically override the display and put other stuff on there. Looks a little scary with the amount of wires you need to tap into on the harness but otherwise if all goes well would be pretty awesome. Allows you to add extra cameras, has an HDMI input, wireless streaming, etc.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
There is a company out there that makes a piggyback wiring harness to tap into the one connecting to the dash entertainment system. It also hooks into some buttons on climate control to allow you to basically override the display and put other stuff on there. Looks a little scary with the amount of wires you need to tap into on the harness but otherwise if all goes well would be pretty awesome. Allows you to add extra cameras, has an HDMI input, wireless streaming, etc.

I've had a couple of different Lockpick devices, the one I had in my Caliber was pretty solid, but I did have to pull the radio fuse a couple times a year to reboot it. The one in my parents Caravan has only required that maybe 5 times since I installed it almost a decade ago now.

It's basically plug and play, but it can be a little clunky, and doesn't answer why Jeep hasn't given us what we were promised.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would not bet that you will ever receive off road pages on any pre 2021 Cherokee.

FCA hasn't been good at delivering on features on past models when it comes to Uconnect or other features.

Off road pages are useless anyways, I have had them on two different Grand Cherokees and they don't provide anything other than angle of inclination, what 4wd mode you are in and altitude.

On the other thread I gave the example of 1 touch up windows on the 2017 Challenger that were not there despite being on the window sticker. I now have a 2020 that still says 1 touch up windows and doesn't have them because the feature is still in development.

It will never have them if they haven't got it in 3 years.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Well @Henry Jones, that's a start! Do you have a link to the TSB?

...and North 'Murica, don't get your hopes up just yet! "EMEA" = Europe, Middle East, Africa.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts