2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Jeepers,

I have an issue with the OEM Rack Rails on my 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite.

The OEM clips on top of the rack rails are loose and make noise when speeding or worse if its raining. One of the locking mechanisms (that lock the clip into the railing) is broken.

I took it to the dealer who said they don’t sell the individual part, only solution is to replace the roof rack railings completely (for $440). Not covered on warranty either.

Is there a way to find this locking clip located inside the roof rail to order parts? Any ingenious ways to get it fixed?

i just don’t want water getting in there and causing issues if I leave the clip off. I may just claim it on my insurance with my $100 deductible.

Door Audio equipment Gadget Automotive exterior Wood

Gadget Automotive mirror Auto part Tints and shades Automotive design

Hand Automotive tire Finger Gesture Thumb

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,657 Posts
Hello fellow Jeepers,

I have an issue with the OEM Rack Rails on my 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite.

The OEM clips on top of the rack rails are loose and make noise when speeding or worse if its raining. One of the locking mechanisms (that lock the clip into the railing) is broken.

I took it to the dealer who said they don’t sell the individual part, only solution is to replace the roof rack railings completely (for $440). Not covered on warranty either.

Is there a way to find this locking clip located inside the roof rail to order parts? Any ingenious ways to get it fixed?

i just don’t want water getting in there and causing issues if I leave the clip off. I may just claim it on my insurance with my $100 deductible.

View attachment 216267
View attachment 216268
View attachment 216270
Maybe try the salvage yards. I don't think I've seen anyone else have that issue. Maybe someone else will chime in. Good luck, and keep us posted...😎

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Hello fellow Jeepers,

View attachment 216267
View attachment 216268
View attachment 216270
They are either lazy, they lied... or I don't know...

Edit : Oopsy. I think I got it wrong. It's not the cover you need, but the thing inside...

Let me look some more...

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Me again. I can't find the locking... thingies...

So yeah, salvage yard #1 choice. If no luck, I would just put some silicone sealant on the inner edge and push it in. That will hold it in, and you can easily remove if necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you guys! Didn’t even think of salvage yards! I’ll try my luck and see what I can dig up. If I can find the locking clip that way, I can cancel that insurance claim.

Only other route I see (besides insurance) is to buy a OEM side rail from mopar ($100) and get expensive locking clips.

Thankful for the input! 👍🏼

·
Registered
414 Posts
This was for my 2017 . Crazy
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Slope

·
Registered
414 Posts
Font Rectangle Screenshot Electric blue Automotive design

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just read up, I'll look for lock thing, lol. Sorry

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Just read up, I'll look for lock thing, lol. Sorry
I had already posted a link for that one for $19.28 ;)

Yeah, it's the locking thing we need...

Reactions: Scorp

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah they should have this part available for how easy it is to break - I did find a couple junkyards with some roof rails I can look at.

i’m pretty sure they havent really changed the design of the components from 2014 onwards.

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Yeah they should have this part available for how easy it is to break - I did find a couple junkyards with some roof rails I can look at.

i’m pretty sure they havent really changed the design of the components from 2014 onwards.
The cover I found online says 2014-21 KL, so yeah... any year should do.

·
Registered
2016 high altitude
106 Posts
Hello fellow Jeepers,

View attachment 216267
View attachment 216268
View attachment 216270
Same. I lost one all the more reason to replace with RRO rails for me now haha

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2019 KL. I hate that MOPAR used brittle plastic to hold the covers on and there is no other way to close the hole in the rack.

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the same issue with my 2019 KL. I hate that MOPAR used brittle plastic to hold the covers on and there is no other way to close the hole in the rack.

AK4wheeler
I ended up just finding some roof rails from the junkyard and snagged that piece from them. It was a little different than my 2019 clip (I found some 2014 rails) but it worked for me. I also took some clear silicone and put them around the edges of the other clips to stop them from shaking around, just wiped the excess with alcohol.

So far so good, that is the best bet or just replace them entirely with the RRO rails.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts