2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,508 Posts
Great chart, drives the point across.
One thing I don't like about LED headlights, even when they're as 'good' (beam-wise) and bright as the 2019+ KL headlights... is the color. We can't use the Kelvin color scale directly for LEDs, but the concensus is most LED sources are roughly 6500K-ish equivalent. That's a rather... annoying color for the human eye, and not the best in bad weather either... (sorry for the off-topic folks ;) )
Totally agree, my LED lamps are pleasing to look at, give great illumination, but they are tough on these old eyes a bit. That's why I am thinking of doing the yellow laminate on the fogs, I had factory (euro) yellow fogs on my BMW and they definitely helped on long drives. :cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
If it was me and you’ve tried other things, I would pull the black circular covers off and look at both bulbs. I replaced both mine recently and it’s really not a hard job, only an hour or so in total to do both sides the first time.
First check that they are both seated correctly and then pull both out and check which model they are (take photos of the label). At least this way you are eliminating 2 possible causes; possible incorrect placement and bulbs of different brightness.

·
Registered
2015 Limited 3.2 with a Bunch of Options
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Ok, I’m Sure something is wrong with the Drivers side. These pictures were taken just now in my garage, I tried taping a piece of cardboard over each lamp. When I did the drivers side there was definitely No Difference on the back wall. I then tried putting a chalkboard in front of each side again, the drivers side barely shines. I didn’t attach the pictures with the cardboard over the lamps because my crappy phone was acting up and I really can’t figure out which was which.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I’m thinking one more trip out tonight with the cardboard and a wall. But, it really appears that the passenger side is doing all the work.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Ok, I’m Sure something is wrong with the Drivers side. These pictures were taken just now in my garage, I tried taping a piece of cardboard over each lamp. When I did the drivers side there was definitely No Difference on the back wall. I then tried putting a chalkboard in front of each side again, the drivers side barely shines. I didn’t attach the pictures with the cardboard over the lamps because my crappy phone was acting up and I really can’t figure out which was which.
Well... all I can say is those pics are not conclusive... Sorry, we need better pics. By the way I don't think there's anything wrong with the quality of your phone's camera. We just need a better methodology...

Suggestion : do the pics at night. Cover one headlight and take pics of the resulting beam on a wall ahead (15 to 25 feet would do just fine). By doing it that way, we'll know exactly which healight is which.

By the way if you think those dots in the first pic are worrisome, I can reassure you they are simply part of the lens, so 100% normal. I took a pic from inside one of my projectors (see dots) :

Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
876 Posts
WOW.

Maybe you got a bad bulb? Did you check the grounds? Maybe change both bulbs with new, matched bulbs. See what it looks like then….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well, if the bulb is bad, it’s been like this for about 7 or 8 months ( I’ve only owned this Jeep for just over a month. I’m gonna take it apart tomorrow ( I think I have an idea on how to turn the access door( why didn’t they mold on a “ Nut “ )

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I think the results are in.
Wow for sure...

Yeah the ultimate t-shooting step here is to try the driver's side bulb on the passenger side (or vice-versa). we'll know quickly if it's the bulb... or other hardware on the driver's side (ballast).

·
Registered
491 Posts
Save yourself some time and order 2 brand new philips D3S bulbs from Amazon or your local parts store. Though amazon will be cheaper last time I priced them. Change both bulbs and retest. Make sure to wear rubber gloves when handling the bulbs. Oils from hands will cause them to fail prematurely. Sounds like the recently replaced bulb the past owner replaced was either a knock off or defective in some way. HID's go pinkish and very dim before they fail. Seems like that one looks similar to a failing one from what I can tell by the pictures. Replace both driver and passenger bulbs.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Save yourself some time and order 2 brand new philips D3S bulbs from Amazon or your local parts store. Though amazon will be cheaper last time I priced them. Change both bulbs and retest. Make sure to wear rubber gloves when handling the bulbs. Oils from hands will cause them to fail prematurely. Sounds like the recently replaced bulb the past owner replaced was either a knock off or defective in some way. HID's go pinkish and very dim before they fail. Seems like that one looks similar to a failing one from what I can tell by the pictures. Replace both driver and passenger bulbs.
I'm not seeing the Philips pair (OEM-like) on Amazon right now, only singles :

However, there is a pair of standard Osrams for a decent price (Philips equivalent) : https://www.amazon.com/OSRAM-XENARC...ild=1&keywords=d3s+bulb&qid=1632193067&sr=8-8

For brighter bulbs, these seem to be the best out there (Philips Gen 2) : https://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-Xeno...=1&keywords=philips+d3s&qid=1632193194&sr=8-5

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,508 Posts
And you can't rule out the ballast either. Only way to check that is to swap bulbs left to right. If the dimness follows the bulb, its the bulb, if not, its the ballast/igniter/wiring...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ok, so, I bought my buddies 2015 Limited just over a month ago. I’ve been asking him what kind of service issues he’s had ( he owned it for 3 years ) He told me that he bought a bulb at autozone He thinks it was Philips he does remember paying over a hundred bucks, he swapped out the blown bulb himself and ever since ( it’s been over 6 months) he didn’t drive much nighttime so he really didn’t notice it at first, it is the drivers side, he did it thru the wheel well. The issue is it’s not as bright as the original on the passenger side. The High Beam is as Bright though. I’ve been reading and trying searching this wonderful site, trying to understand how the “ shutter “ part actually works. Bear with me, the last headlight issue I had was with “ sealed beams “ 😎 any ideas? I’m gonna try and see if ” maybe “ he missed something or the wires are reversed ( if that’s even possible) .
Sorry I can’t help you with this one I swapped out my factory lights with xglows (colored lights with app for my phone) good luck happy Jeeping 😃

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Well. I'm pretty sure I found the problem. I don't want to call my buddy out on this one because I can almost hear him saying " it must have loosened up by itself ". The bulb was Not Locked into the housing correctly. After fooling around and wiggling it I could feel it get snug up. I can Definitely see a difference. Most likely I will have to adjust it down later tonight. Thanks for the assistance here! This is how it looked when I opened the dust cover. ( also note: it's not the Philip's bulb my buddy " thought " he bought) I will keep the 2 replacement bulbs for Down the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Well. I'm pretty sure I found the problem. I don't want to call my buddy out on this one because I can almost hear him saying " it must have loosened up by itself ". The bulb was Not Locked into the housing correctly. After fooling around and wiggling it I could feel it get snug up. I can Definitely see a difference. Most likely I will have to adjust it down later tonight. Thanks for the assistance here! This is how it looked when I opened the dust cover. ( also note: it's not the Philip's bulb my buddy " thought " he bought) I will keep the 2 replacement bulbs for Down the road.
Hard to tell from that pic, but I think I see the angle there. So you are saying the driver's side bulb is good, and the extremely poor output you had from it was due to the bulb being 'very' crooked inside the lamp ? If so... this is absolutely a first, your buddy deserves a medal LOL.

Now that you have the feel for bulb seating, you're the Pro now ;)

Just FYI : those bulbs last roughly 2000 hours, so your replacements will see action in the not-so-distant future, and you'll be ready to get them in there :)

Thx for the follow-up.

Reactions: Oldguyhavingfun

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
However… I didn’t notice the label , I just did some research after…( it’s always something) it looks like the drivers side bulb is a “ CBI “ …Cool Blue Intense. I got to wait until dark…
Hahaha... So. I guess it's time for a 2 bulb job ! Like I said before, when one bulb goes, the other goes within a short period of time. So your options are : get one new ($$) CBI for the passenger side, or use the pair you've purchased.
If option #1, try to return the pair you've just bought.
Decisions, decisions ! ;)

41 - 60 of 62 Posts