2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had that, I noticed remote start would stall sometimes and then It happened when using the key. put my scan tool on it "Starter relay 2" error of some kind. looked at the fuse box diagram, saw we have 2 starter relays , and then switched them around, and then issue is gone. So I need a relay, simple enough.

But does anyone know what happened,was that the car realizing it had issues.. so it switched toits backup...? Idont get how it would successfully start, turn off, then work the 2nd time without failure. it just wouldnt crank if it was bad..?

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,467 Posts
Relays can act flakey before they finally fail completely.

You may have 2 relays, but they are probably 2 completley different circuits/functions, they are only both energised at the same time... :cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Relays can act flakey before they finally fail completely.

You may have 2 relays, but they are probably 2 completley different circuits/functions, they are only both energised at the same time... :cool:
I found the code in my history on the tool and it was "Relay 2 Stuck Off" so I guess its weird it would start, stall, then restart fine. and the fault was stuck off. and it was a hard fault, like if I erased it, it would come back. so it was clearly monitored in real time as "stuck off" which is strange to me

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Note to self:
2014 V6 Cherokee. K1 STARTER SOLENOID, K3 STARTER. (Per PDC cover).
All of the gray plastic relays are 5810-0717
note to self: local dealer charged 40$ for one

also note to others: There is a known issue with 2021 cherokees and the starter relays being faulty, its something the dealer mentioned to me before knowing my year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts