2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
we have zero trails near me, but we do get a buttload of snow. we even have thundersnow. Imagine a thunderstorm and a snowstorm at the same time. its happened 5 or 6 times in my life. its cool as hell.

is the strap that came with my jeep any good? its still sealed in the wrapper
Dude that is incredible. Up here you basically get one at a time with a whole 2 months of sun......it's great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There is another thread somewhere about off-roading essentials. You can air the Firestones down to around 15-18. I usually don't go below 18 unless stuck in sand or mud. Get a shovel along with the snatchstrap and as noted, go with at least one other rig. It is an interesting phenomenon, but if I go alone, something happens and I get stuck. If I go with someone....nothing happens. If you want to spend a bit more coin, recovery/traction boards are very effective, but do take up space. Your stock rig will only cause you grief in ground clearance, but as far as traction....it will climb trees. Use the descent control on steep downhills. Beyond that, go to a off-road play area (where a variety of climbs and trails are) to test your rig and your talents and just have fun.
Starting to make me think a 2" lift is worth just worried about other parts down the road. If that is a factor at least.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Personally, I appreciate my rock rails more than my 2" lift. The 2" is an easy lift, however (both on the wallet and installation). That said, if I were to do it again, I do not regret trailing my KL a couple times first before deciding on a lift. I found that the only need I had was for approach and departure angles. I was, at one time, going to go with a bigger tire, but now have decided to stay with stock size. Again...it is easy to get caught up in modifications, but for most of the world, it isn't necessary. Try it first and see if it is a "want" or a "need" then buy accordingly.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Personally, I appreciate my rock rails more than my 2" lift. The 2" is an easy lift, however (both on the wallet and installation). That said, if I were to do it again, I do not regret trailing my KL a couple times first before deciding on a lift. I found that the only need I had was for approach and departure angles. I was, at one time, going to go with a bigger tire, but now have decided to stay with stock size. Again...it is easy to get caught up in modifications, but for most of the world, it isn't necessary. Try it first and see if it is a "want" or a "need" then buy accordingly.
I'm going 2" on the front 1 1/2" in the rear, cuz I like the level look. I'm sticking with 245/70/17, possibly 245/75. To many horror stories lately about too much lift, and too much tire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Guys,

First time post long time lurker. So I’ve spent months looking forum posts and information concerning off roading and introductory trails. There is a local off roading park inNorth East Ohio of 1500 acres of trails. I have never gone off roading before and currently own a stock 2018 v6 Cherokee Trailhawk. What prep should I do before goin? Does anyone know what the stock Firestone’s should be air downed too if needed? One of my chief concerns are that the fronts are down to maybe 50% tread like and the rear are about 60% according to my dealer. Is this too low of tread life to take a stab at novice level trails?

thanks in advance all
All you really need to

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Guys,

First time post long time lurker. So I’ve spent months looking forum posts and information concerning off roading and introductory trails. There is a local off roading park inNorth East Ohio of 1500 acres of trails. I have never gone off roading before and currently own a stock 2018 v6 Cherokee Trailhawk. What prep should I do before goin? Does anyone know what the stock Firestone’s should be air downed too if needed? One of my chief concerns are that the fronts are down to maybe 50% tread like and the rear are about 60% according to my dealer. Is this too low of tread life to take a stab at novice level trails?

thanks in advance all
The first off road trip I took I clipped, barely, a rock sticking out and destroyed that Firestone. When I got home I immediately put a set of Falken Wildpeaks P265/65/17. On. Yes they fit, yes you might hear a run if you are fully articulated and one wheel is on a rock but otherwise they fit. I then went four wheeling for like a year in Az, NM, and CO. I kept up with the unlimited rubis everywhere they went.
So I say put a good set of tires on and go!!! You’ll be very surprised what that Trailhawk can do!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys, any advice on how to actually find trails? I've had my 2014 TH for about 6 months now and would love to try some off roading, starting basic and working my way up as everything is stock. I live in CT and the only real trails I've seen are all chained off saying private property etc and don't know how I would even try to find somewhere to get started. Best I have is driving down any dirt road I can find lol.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Look for new housing development.. You can try out a few little hills or something. They have pretty tightly packed dirt and mud.. Just watch for no trespassing signs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
Buy a good snatch strap, and go out with some friends. Never wheel alone any farther out than you can safely walk out of in the event of a breakdown, or you get stuck. Keep plenty of water in case you do. I learned that the hard way. Had to walk 12 miles out of the Mohave desert one time before cell phones. That sucked.
I am in the camp that thinks it is fine to wheel alone, but you better be prepared. i.e. food/water for several days or way of obtaining food/water, shelter, and most important a satellite communication device in case you need rescuing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I go out in the Arizona desert with my kiddo.. I don't do anything crazy.. He loves the bouncing around.

·
Super Moderator
4,157 Posts
Hey guys, any advice on how to actually find trails? I've had my 2014 TH for about 6 months now and would love to try some off roading, starting basic and working my way up as everything is stock. I live in CT and the only real trails I've seen are all chained off saying private property etc and don't know how I would even try to find somewhere to get started. Best I have is driving down any dirt road I can find lol.
Search for local Jeep clubs. Be willing to travel a little bit. I'm in Northern Virginia, and trails are at least 1.5hrs away.

Don't be intimidating if most guys are in Wranglers. The good clubs will welcome you, no matter what.

My local group has an incredibly modified Liberty and a couple of fairly stock KLs. Haven't heard any guys giving them a hard time.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
Pachaug State Forest has a lot of public land for offloading in Connecticut. Also Shenipsit State Forest. I'm not familiar with that area, I called a fellow offloading buddy that is from there. Hope this gives you a couple of great spots to check out.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Check out the app onXoffroad.. On Android.. Not sure about iPhonograph.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My Trailhawk came with a tow strap so that's a start. I also had the Mopar rock rails installed which I'm sure have saved me a dent or two. Otherwise, I've driven over some really rocky trails with no problems so far and I've been amazed at how well the Trailhawk does. Other than some obvious essentials you would throw in your car for off-roading I also got a Garmin Inreach Mini. If you get out of cell range this little device could really save your ass.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts