2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

First time post long time lurker. So I’ve spent months looking forum posts and information concerning off roading and introductory trails. There is a local off roading park inNorth East Ohio of 1500 acres of trails. I have never gone off roading before and currently own a stock 2018 v6 Cherokee Trailhawk. What prep should I do before goin? Does anyone know what the stock Firestone’s should be air downed too if needed? One of my chief concerns are that the fronts are down to maybe 50% tread like and the rear are about 60% according to my dealer. Is this too low of tread life to take a stab at novice level trails?

thanks in advance all

·
Registered
364 Posts
My revo 2s are almost 20% and we just went onthe trail yesterday.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just don't go crazy or anything..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My revo 2s are almost 20% and we just went onthe trail yesterday.....

Cool, I thought it was going to be a problem. I should mention it’s very wet and muddy up here right now. Also, do you air down for this or is that just for specific rock climbing?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Cool, I thought it was going to be a problem. I should mention it’s very wet and muddy up here right now. Also, do you air down for this or is that just for specific rock climbing?
I only air down over moderate trails and rocks.. I'm in Arizona so maybe different where you are.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I’m in North East Ohio. It’s very muddy here it’s been raining for a few weeks
Buy a good snatch strap, and go out with some friends. Never wheel alone any farther out than you can safely walk out of in the event of a breakdown, or you get stuck. Keep plenty of water in case you do. I learned that the hard way. Had to walk 12 miles out of the Mohave desert one time before cell phones. That sucked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buy a good snatch strap, and go out with some friends. Never wheel alone any farther out than you can safely walk out of in the event of a breakdown, or you get stuck. Keep plenty of water in case you do. I learned that the hard way. Had to walk 12 miles out of the Mohave desert one time before cell phones. That sucked.
Wow, that sucks man. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
357 Posts
Wow, that sucks man. Thanks for the advice
Ya, it's a lot more fun going out with other rigs, especially people with experience. You can learn from them, and when someone gets stuck, you have friends that can pull you out. You'll find offloading is also kind of competitive, you're always trying to one up your buddies. That's when you know you've caught the bug, cuz it will start getting expensive buying all the cool upgrades and mods to make yours better...LOL. Just go out and have fun man. That's why we love our Jeeps!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nice 20ft rig on amazon I picked up.. Cheaper then before...

·
Registered
357 Posts
I only air down over moderate trails and rocks.. I'm in Arizona so maybe different where you are.

Ya, pretty hard to find mud in AZ even after it rained!!! LOL. One time I saw it rain mud in AZ, that was some crazy $hit!!! Dust storm/thunder storm!!! You guys have a name for those, I can't remember what it is. LOL

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ya, pretty hard to find mud in AZ even after it rained!!! LOL. One time I saw it rain mud in AZ, that was some crazy $hit!!! Dust storm/thunder storm!!! You guys have a name for those, I can't remember what it is. LOL
we have zero trails near me, but we do get a buttload of snow. we even have thundersnow. Imagine a thunderstorm and a snowstorm at the same time. its happened 5 or 6 times in my life. its cool as hell.

is the strap that came with my jeep any good? its still sealed in the wrapper

·
Registered
357 Posts
we have zero trails near me, but we do get a buttload of snow. we even have thundersnow. Imagine a thunderstorm and a snowstorm at the same time. its happened 5 or 6 times in my life. its cool as hell.

is the strap that came with my jeep any good? its still sealed in the wrapper
Yes, we have thundersnow occasionally in Utah as well. Pretty cool. As for the strap, it's sure better than nothing when you need one.

·
Registered
665 Posts
There is another thread somewhere about off-roading essentials. You can air the Firestones down to around 15-18. I usually don't go below 18 unless stuck in sand or mud. Get a shovel along with the snatchstrap and as noted, go with at least one other rig. It is an interesting phenomenon, but if I go alone, something happens and I get stuck. If I go with someone....nothing happens. If you want to spend a bit more coin, recovery/traction boards are very effective, but do take up space. Your stock rig will only cause you grief in ground clearance, but as far as traction....it will climb trees. Use the descent control on steep downhills. Beyond that, go to a off-road play area (where a variety of climbs and trails are) to test your rig and your talents and just have fun.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Haboob. Yea it's nuts..

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yep, that's it!!! They make a hell of a mess, your vehicle, your house, whatever is in the path!!!
Yeah.. It's almost monsoon season and we'll have many come thru.. I stop washing the jeep for the whole season cause no point.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts