2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any out there? I do not have a hitch and even if I did I wouldn't want to block any other usage. I was thinking there would be some sort of bumper replacement but can't seem to find anything.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You won't find anything like that. This platform is not designed for a bumper replacement. Your best bet is a Wilco hitch-mounted swing away spare tire mount.There was one for sale on here in CA. I would have scooped it up but I am in SC.

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
In the past 30 years of driving I have never needed a spare tire.
6 years off road in my 2014 TH never needed a spare tire.
If you break a bead going off road you need a Wrangler with LT tires.
If you are on the highway and need a spare tire call AAA on your smart phone.
The last thing you want to do is change a tire on the side of the road.
It is DANGEROUS!!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
The Wilco rattles from the get go
Mine doesn't, never did. No modifications to the hitch mounting but I did have to rework the lower lug bolt bracket a bit to fit the "narrow" bolt pattern of the KL. But I have no complaints whatsoever about the sturdiness of the Wilco.

Out of curiosity, what modifications did you make?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
In the past 30 years of driving I have never needed a spare tire.
6 years off road in my 2014 TH never needed a spare tire.
Different people, different experiences and preferences. I don't recall ever needing a spare tire on my road going vehicles. But I did once have to bring a spare tire to my wife. It was that, or using the tire gooey and likely paying for a new TPM. She wasn't far away so I choose to bring one of the winder rims and change the tire.

Calling for a tow was of course an option. But it was late evening and waiting around for the tow truck for hours in a dark empty parking lot is probably not a good idea. Much easier to just put a working tire on and drive to the tire shop a week later when they got the tire (which is special order) in.

For overlanding I've needed it a few times on my WJ when an emergency plug didn't cut it or I just didn't care to plug it. But so far not on the KL. Fingers crossed.

If you break a bead going off road you need a Wrangler with LT tires.
No guarantee of anything. When you're here:

And your oversize-heavy-duty-money-no-object Wrangler tire decides to not wanting to live anymore (a friend of mine's a few years ago):

You're mighty glad you have a spare.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Back when I was doing this kind of driving I had 2 spare wheels with tires, extra gas, engine oil, water and lots of other stuff.
AAA Road Side Assistance isn't going to happen out where you are.
Off road recovery is probably really expensive unless you can pay off some locals with a couple 6-packs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are there any out there? I do not have a hitch and even if I did I wouldn't want to block any other usage. I was thinking there would be some sort of bumper replacement but can't seem to find anything.
LOL I used to always ask myself the same question. I regret not getting my 19KL without a hitch. After much thinking, I might just install the hitch myself next year as if it was factory made (I have to remove the rear bumper and purchase some parts). Obviously won't be the same as factory, but it's something. Not looking to tow anything huge anyways.

·
Registered
153 Posts
LOL I used to always ask myself the same question. I regret not getting my 19KL without a hitch. After much thinking, I might just install the hitch myself next year as if it was factory made (I have to remove the rear bumper and purchase some parts). Obviously won't be the same as factory, but it's something. Not looking to tow anything huge anyways.
I installed the MOPAR OEM hitch on my KL. You will need to buy the hitch itself (~$100) and the bezel (~$130). I opted to forgo paying the ridiculous $220 for the hitch wiring and the $175 the stealership was going to charge me to "activate" the hitch wiring circuit. I elected to buy the Tekonosa vehicle specific trailer wiring harness from etrailer for $60.

I would go to the stealership and order the bezel so you know you will get the correct one. The hitch you can get off Fleabay. You do not have to entirely remove the rear bumper cover, just be careful of the clips. The hardest part for me was the exhaust tips are riveted into the panel you have to replace...was a total PITA. I used stainless bolts and locknuts to reinstall the exhaust tips. The exhaust tips are not connected to the tailpipe...they are garnish. The hitch replaces the rear aluminum bumper behind the bumper cover...easy install. I even sold the old aluminum bumper to the local metal recycle yard for $40.

All and all it took 3hrs to install everything...saved a bunch of money since the stealership wanted to charge $1800 to install the hitch.

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
38 Posts
I installed the MOPAR OEM hitch on my KL. You will need to buy the hitch itself (~$100) and the bezel (~$130). I opted to forgo paying the ridiculous $220 for the hitch wiring and the $175 the stealership was going to charge me to "activate" the hitch wiring circuit. I elected to buy the Tekonosa vehicle specific trailer wiring harness from etrailer for $60.

I would go to the stealership and order the bezel so you know you will get the correct one. The hitch you can get off Fleabay. You do not have to entirely remove the rear bumper cover, just be careful of the clips. The hardest part for me was the exhaust tips are riveted into the panel you have to replace...was a total PITA. I used stainless bolts and locknuts to reinstall the exhaust tips. The exhaust tips are not connected to the tailpipe...they are garnish. The hitch replaces the rear aluminum bumper behind the bumper cover...easy install. I even sold the old aluminum bumper to the local metal recycle yard for $40.

All and all it took 3hrs to install everything...saved a bunch of money since the stealership wanted to charge $1800 to install the hitch.

AK4wheeler
Hahahahhahahha “stealership” “fleabay”

Would you mind if I ask for a picture of how yours ended up looking? Sounds like you convinced me...now will I get anxious and just do it this year will be the better question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
I looks just like the stock OEM hitch since I used OEM parts. The receiver opening is in the center of the bumper cover beneath the hatch.

This is a pic of a Limited...but you get the idea with location of the OEM hitch.

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
3 Posts
[QUOTE

AK4wheeler[/QUOTE]

Holy Christ... $1500?!??!?!? In Canada it’s only a $500 add on. We ordered a 3.2L and tow package because it’s are main TV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts