2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering if anyone is or has run the Nokian Outpost AT. They look really appetizing as I live in Denver and Ski a lot during the winter and all the reviews seem really positive for winter driving yet still aggressive for off-roading. I was dead set on the Falkens as I have ran them in the past on my Taco but they are heavy in comparison. The Nokians state 31 pounds Vs. Falkens 39 lbs in the 245/65/17. Side note they are also on sale 20% off from Simple tire right now.

Second question. If I go with the stock size then decide that I want to lift it later on 1.5", or 2" lift max will it look funny?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Hi I was wondering if anyone is or has run the Nokian Outpost AT. They look really appetizing as I live in Denver and Ski a lot during the winter and all the reviews seem really positive for winter driving yet still aggressive for off-roading. I was dead set on the Falkens as I have ran them in the past on my Taco but they are heavy in comparison. The Nokians state 31 pounds Vs. Falkens 39 lbs in the 245/65/17. Side note they are also on sale 20% off from Simple tire right now.

Second question. If I go with the stock size then decide that I want to lift it later on 1.5", or 2" lift max will it look funny?

View attachment 222211
I don't know much about that tire, but for like $6 and change more per tire, I can give an honest recommendation. I'm running the Toyo A/T III's, and at 34lbs they're the best A/T I've ever run. I live in Utah, and like you in Colorado we've had the most snow this year in a couple decades, and these things destroy the snow. They also have the best on road street manners as well, and a 65,000 mile warranty. I've definitely put them to the test, and when I wear them out, I will for sure be buying another set. I do have a 2" lift, and I run 245/70/17's...馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know much about that tire, but for like $6 and change more per tire, I can give an honest recommendation. I'm running the Toyo A/T III's, and at 34lbs they're the best A/T I've ever run. I live in Utah, and like you in Colorado we've had the most snow this year in a couple decades, and these things destroy the snow. They also have the best on road street manners as well, and a 65,000 mile warranty. I've definitely put them to the test, and when I wear them out, I will for sure be buying another set. I do have a 2" lift, and I run 245/70/17's...馃槑
Yea I do like the Toyos, I have ran them in the past and preferred the Falkens over the Toyos however they were on an F150 vs. the Falkens on my Taco so not really a fair comparison.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I can get the Falkens for $179.35 each vs. the Toyos $219.63. $160 a set cheaper. Not that its about the $ per say I'm used to spending $450/tire for 37s. ;).

Registered
Yea I do like the Toyos, I have ran them in the past and preferred the Falkens over the Toyos however they were on an F150 vs. the Falkens on my Taco so not really a fair comparison.
The one thing you don't want to do is run any LT on the Cherokee, they're far too stiff and heavy. I've actually converted two dedicated Wildpeak guys over to the Toyo鈥榮. One drives a Tacoma, and the other a 4 Runner. The Wildpeak is a great tire, but the problem we see around here with our rocky terrain is the chunking of the rubber. This has not been an issue with the Toyo鈥榮...馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one thing you don't want to do is run any LT on the Cherokee, they're far too stiff and heavy. I've actually converted two dedicated Wildpeak guys over to the Toyo鈥榮. One drives a Tacoma, and the other a 4 Runner. The Wildpeak is a great tire, but the problem we see around here with our rocky terrain is the chunking of the rubber. This has not been an issue with the Toyo鈥榮...馃槑
I do understand the LT, however I have to disagree with the chunking for me personally. I put 38K mile on mine in about 2 years with no issues and sold it with plenty of tread.

Registered
Another tire I've been researching, and keeping an eye on is the Maxxis Razr AT. I have another friend who just put a set of those on his JLU. Really nice looking, and well performing tire so far, but time will tell. They don't have it in my 245/70 yet, but they do have 245/65's...馃槑
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another tire I've been researching, and keeping an eye on is the Maxxis Razr AT. I have another friend who just put a set of those on his JLU. Really nice looking, and well performing tire so far, but time will tell. They don't have it in my 245/70 yet, but they do have 245/65's...馃槑
View attachment 222216
I do like the look of these a lot. I just really want something that performs well in the snow and wont give me any issues offraod. If I am being completely honest I will be ordering a 2024 Wrangler Rubicon as soon as they are announced so don't want to throw too much money into this however its almost paid off so I will probably keep in conjunction with the new Wrangler. I just miss harder trails too much.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the list of trails I did last year some more than once so I do spend a lot of time offroad. There will be quite a few trails on this list that I wont be able to do in the Cherokee but I do want to do some just to compare to the Wrangler.

Switzerland Trail
Switzerland Trail
Pennyslvania Gulch
Fins N Things
Hell's Revenge
Top of the World
Metal Masher
Eagle Rock
Saran Wrap
Slaughterhouse Gulch
Pickle Gulch
Mount Baldy
Eagle Rock
Saran Wrap
Geneva Creek
Spring Creek
Geneva Creek
Fins N Things
Hell's Revenge with Hell's Gate
Poison Spider
Chinn's Lake
Red Cone Pass
Kenny's Cabin
Middle St. Vrain and Coney Flats
Hancock Pass
Polmeroy Lake
Tincup Pass
Mt. Princeton
Chinnamans Gulch
McClellan Mtn
Argentine Pass
Holy Cross City
Mill Creek
Red Cone Pass
Webster Pass
Yankee Boy Basin
Governor Basin
Sydney Basin
Ophir Pass
Mineral Creek
Poughkeepsie Gulch
Hurricane Pass
Corkscrew Pass
Imogene Pass
Black Bear Pass
Steel Bender
Hell's Revenge with Hell's Gate
Gold Bar Rim
China Wall

Registered
Well, mine lives in Moab about half the year, and I've put it to the test. Now, I don't push it to the limits, as I have other dedicated offroad toys, Can Am Maverick X3 XRC, and XRS, but the Trailhawk has a few trophies of her own. I'll never go back to a Wrangler, they're like driving an old dump truck down the highway, compared to the Trailhawk...馃槈馃槑
Automotive lighting Tin Guitar accessory Tin can Bumper

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, mine lives in Moab about half the year, and I've put it to the test. Now, I don't push it to the limits, as I have other dedicated offroad toys, Can Am Maverick X3 XRC, and XRS, but the Trailhawk has a few trophies of her own. I'll never go back to a Wrangler, they're like driving an old dump truck down the highway, compared to the Trailhawk...馃槈馃槑
View attachment 222217

Pritchett in a Cherokee? I have to see a video?

Prefer the Cherokee over a Wrangler? Man I don't know maybe for a 10+ hour trip, but mine was setup so nicely I could dive it at 90+ mph with one finger on 37s and beadlocks and it was geared correctly so it held gears much better than the Cherokee does.

Registered
Pritchett in a Cherokee? I have to see a video?

Ya, you got me!!! I didn't quite complete that one in the Trailhawk, as I didn't want to destroy it...LOL!!! I kinda cheated on that one, and Metal Masher with the XRC sitting on 35's...馃槈馃槑
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Registered
The Trailhawk is the official Can Am tow and support vehicle for the "Moab Slayer" XRC, and the "Desert Cadillac" XRS...Way more capable and fun than any Jeep will ever be. I go where no Jeep will ever go...LOL!!!馃槈馃槑
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Trailhawk is the official Can Am tow and support vehicle for the "Moab Slayer" XRC, and the "Desert Cadillac" XRS...Way more capable and fun than any Jeep will ever be. I go where no Jeep will ever go...LOL!!!馃槈馃槑
View attachment 222223
Nice Rigs! I have contemplated getting another Rzr and I probably would if I lived closer to Moab.

Registered
I was pulling weight specs from both Discount and Falkens website?
Tirerack stands corrected :censored:.

Something odd going on besides tirerack's weight being wrong
some of their T rated weigh more than the H rated
and not just XL

the 225/65r17 T with standard load is 33.7
and the larger 235/65r17 H SL is 31.1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts