2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh please help!
My 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk is impossible to drive at night. I'm not sure if it's a defect or if I'm doing something wrong. I just bought it used and it only has 18,000 miles on it so I don't know if it went unnoticed or burned out or what. The headlights illuminate fine straight ahead, but there is total darkness when I drive into a turn. It's really dangerous, I can't see a thing! I have looked at the headlights and I'm not sure what is what. The fog lights are on and it lights straight ahead but I don't know which part should light to the sides
Can anyone guide me please?

·
Super Moderator
5,747 Posts
If you'd like side coverage regardless of what headlights you have I recommend you replace either the bulbs in the fog lights or the entire fog light assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Duke2015

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, seems that would have been a lawsuit against Jeep by now! It's super dangerous!
Thanks for all your answers!
Len1304, is replacing the assembly something the dealer would do for me?

·
Super Moderator
5,747 Posts
Wow, seems that would have been a lawsuit against Jeep by now! It's super dangerous!
Thanks for all your answers!
Len1304, is replacing the assembly something the dealer would do for me?

They could... but it's easier for you too do it and fairly simple. Tops, 2-3 hours.

Reactions: Xinarin13

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Methinks part of the issue is that the op doesn't even know which lights are the headlights on the bumper. Silly question, but are you driving with the headlights on? The lighting on the KL is certainly slightly below average, but I would never classify it as "dangerous" and recall worthy. And that's coming from someone with near sightedness, astigmatism, color blindness, and light sensitivity. Basically, my eyes are mostly worthless.

Reactions: dhh3

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Methinks part of the issue is that the op doesn't even know which lights are the headlights on the bumper. Silly question, but are you driving with the headlights on? The lighting on the KL is certainly slightly below average, but I would never classify it as "dangerous" and recall worthy. And that's coming from someone with near sightedness, astigmatism, color blindness, and light sensitivity. Basically, my eyes are mostly worthless.
OP did say headlights illuminated fine ahead, and that is true, the beam is very narrow, hotspot in the middle. Ok ahead, except on wet pavement where lighting is practically nil with halogens (9012s or 9005s). I've driven on small isolated country roads where there are no painted line, and in tight corners you see nothing to the side.

Now.. fog lights are supposed to help with low and wide illumination and many cars use these lights as turning lights because of that. Well on these KLs, the fog lights are a joke : beam is restricted to only slightly wider than the headlights, they bleed up and provide no help for tight turns, or for anything really except throw glare at oncoming drivers.
I find the halogens downright scary when it's wet, or on small dark roads. There should be laws that prohibit such poor performing headlights.

Installing DOT approved third party fog lamps (not just bulbs) with better bulbs should help as far as beam width and a better cutoff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just went looking through the manual and cant find anything, but my Export 2015 limited has lights that illuminate the direction I’m turning. Not sure if They actually change direction into the corner or it turns the fog light on to illuminate the gutter or corner on the particular side or direction I’m turning.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I did notice the lights were pretty average at best even the HID on my 2017

I was test driving in a rainstorm in december after dark.
I kept trying to turn the lights on.. vs my previous vehicle.

Fog lights are 99% worthless. I do think they help spot giant road craters when you are doing 25mph around the city, but they do nothing to help in inclement weather.
Previous vehicle had good upper cutoff on the foglights so I would use them in heavy rain to help see the road lines at night.. on the KL I pretty much never use them except in the city to spot potholes when its raining.

First upgrade is most likely going to be door speakers.. then maybe some good foglights.

The HID on high beam work good on back roads if its not wet out. if its wet they are not so great either.

The low beams do seem moderately annoying to oncoming traffic for the amount of visible light they put out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
They could... but it's easier for you too do it and fairly simple. Tops, 2-3 hours.

While it might take 2-3 hours for SOMMMME people :: cough cough, Len:: others will have to take numerous trips to auto part stores to buy the proper rackets and various accessories. So what turns into a few hour job turns in to a 2 day ordeal.

I'll have you know though, I did not remove either wheel in the process!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
What? I think you're on the wrong thread,

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I'm new at discussion boards, so give me a little slack. I saw the type of vehicle he owns and thought he was simply posting to the wrong post. ...and I'm still learning how this all works.
Fair enough.

Hope you had a good Thanks Giving, and welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
As to you and your family as well. :) There will be a day when I get this thing figured out.
Thanks. We celebrated TG in early October (Canada). Kinda wish we did it late November like you guys... oh well.

About the forum : if you ever feel overwhelmed or need guidance, we're here.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
144 Posts
I know that there are vehicles that have turning lights that come on with the directionals to help light the road as you turn into a corner but I have never owned one. I have always judged head lights by how well they lite up the road straight ahead and have never thought about how they light a corner.

That all being said my wife's 14 Dart had 9012 halogen bulbs in a projector housing. These were dismal head lights, no better than the sealed beams in my 68 Barracuda. I purchased a HID conversion kit from Diode Dynamics, they also had LED conversion kits but the HIDs were rated for more Lumens so that is why I went with them. Anyway, the Dart head lights were transformed into some of the best head lights I have driven behind (and we're blinding when approaching them). I believe the pre 19 Cherokees have a similar set up and would likely benefit from the same HID kit.

The LED projector lights in our 21 Cherokee are the best head lights I have driven behind. The LED projectors in my 21 Ranger are very good but not as good as the Cherokee. My 17 Mustang had HID head lights and they slotted in between the Ranger and Cherokee.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts