2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Black Trailhawk
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first time posting here. I have a 2016 Trailhawk. Loving it so far. Bought it from carvana in 2019 with 58,000 miles. So far it's on 76,000 miles. Loving it so far. Only replaced the battery in during 2020.

Recently I have couple situations are kinda weird. Back in mid December, when I start the car, I have a no bus error on my dash. As I drove it, no bus disappeared and changed to a flashing odometer. When I pulled into a shop try to do a scan, it just disappeared. Late December, I have a cylinder #2 misfire, fuel injector 2 open circuit. I do feel the shaking from the misfire. Took it to the shop and it disappears when they looked at it. The below are the scanner results. (HVAC error was weird because my AC works just fine...)
Product Gadget Audio equipment Font Luggage and bags

Today when I started the car, check engine light is on, no bus displayed on the screen. I lost my center console, screen is off, no radios and none of the buttons on the console works. Restarted the car couple times, and left it idles a bit, after 5 minutes the screen came on and the center console was working normally. The check engine light is still on.

I wonder does anyone have similar experiences and know what is wrong? I'll get it scanned soon and come back for with the results. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2016 Black Trailhawk
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a multimeter in the house and gonna check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
2016 Black Trailhawk
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the lost communication with the cluster, must be a gone fuse. Get your elec to check that out.
Gotta multimeter, gonna check it out tomorrow. But it doesn't explain it came back on after awhile tho...

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
A flashing odometer means the Jeep needs a Proxy alignment. Maybe your SnapOn tool can do that.
Most of the codes are because the modules lost communication with each other.
The 'trick' is to figure out the very first code that was 'set'.
And my usual rant:
Check the battery cable connections. Make sure you can not twist the cable clamps on the battery.
Check for corroded ground wires and connections.
Get the battery tested again and note "battery health".
The battery is almost 2 years old, if it isn't an X2Power AGM Group 94R my guess is an insufficient battery.
The battery can be good and still not work in a Cherokee.
Check the IBS and make sure it works and is connected correctly.

There was a year when the Cherokees had bad relays in the PDU, hopefully you can find the answer.
Make sure all Recalls are complete.
Try to determine if there are any TSBs for your issue. A Jeep dealer should be able to tell you. Search for "Denso relay". Maybe it was just a 2020 MY thing.

Look for a blown fuse or a fuse that needs to be pushed in firmly in both the PDU and the BCM near your left knee behind the cubby.

Use "Search Community" above or search the Internet for more information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, first time posting here. I have a 2016 Trailhawk. Loving it so far. Bought it from carvana in 2019 with 58,000 miles. So far it's on 76,000 miles. Loving it so far. Only replaced the battery in during 2020.

Recently I have couple situations are kinda weird. Back in mid December, when I start the car, I have a no bus error on my dash. As I drove it, no bus disappeared and changed to a flashing odometer. When I pulled into a shop try to do a scan, it just disappeared. Late December, I have a cylinder #2 misfire, fuel injector 2 open circuit. I do feel the shaking from the misfire. Took it to the shop and it disappears when they looked at it. The below are the scanner results. (HVAC error was weird because my AC works just fine...) View attachment 217902

Today when I started the car, check engine light is on, no bus displayed on the screen. I lost my center console, screen is off, no radios and none of the buttons on the console works. Restarted the car couple times, and left it idles a bit, after 5 minutes the screen came on and the center console was working normally. The check engine light is still on.

I wonder does anyone have similar experiences and know what is wrong? I'll get it scanned soon and come back for with the results. Thanks everyone!

Recently I have couple situations are kinda weird. Back in mid December, when I start the car, I have a no bus error on my dash. As I drove it, no bus disappeared and changed to a flashing odometer. When I pulled into a shop try to do a scan, it just disappeared. Late December, I have a cylinder #2 misfire, fuel injector 2 open circuit. I do feel the shaking from the misfire. Took it to the shop and it disappears when they looked at it. The below are the scanner results. (HVAC error was weird because my AC works just fine...) View attachment 217902

With multiple lost comm messages I'd start with the STAR connector for CAN C in the instrument panel behind the glove box. Each wire pair goes to a separate module. They should each carry similar voltages of about 2.5 and 3.5V. Looks like you ought to start with the HVAC mod based on your screen shot, Measuring each wouldn't be all that bad because its possible a module could put a bad voltage on the bus and screw up a lot of modules.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
632 Posts
When you perform the proxy alignment, it will tell you for every module if it passes or fails. Then just trace down the ones that fail.

·
Registered
2016 Black Trailhawk
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello all, so found out that fuse F78 in the PDC is blown... It's interesting that the technician said there is a battery state of charge performance code... Got the die hard H7-AGM in about a year ago... Gonna hold off and see before a major inspection of the battery... Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
632 Posts
Hello all, so found out that fuse F78 in the PDC is blown... It's interesting that the technician said there is a battery state of charge performance code... Got the die hard H7-AGM in about a year ago... Gonna hold off and see before a major inspection of the battery... Thanks everyone!
Maybe the battery one was an old code that got stored from the old battery.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
This is F78: Diagnostic Port / Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) / Digital TV - If Equipped
Don't have a clue what this means.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts