2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
A white 2021 Trailhawk named Stormtrooper.
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to end my first road trip in my new 2021TH as well as my first out of state trip since before the virus. Here are a few photos and comments:

first stop was Capulin Volcano National Monument in northwest New Mexico. You can drive up the cone of an extinct volcano to the crater. A light snow had fallen that didn’t stick to the ground but stuck on the plants and it was quite striking!

I went on to Durango, Colorado where I rode the famous Silverton Train and visited Mesa Verde NP which was only open in a limited way till later in the season.

I drove to Moab, Utah, passing through Wolf Creek Pass to get over the continental Divide.

Then came the part of most interest here, in the Moab area I did some easy four wheeling stuff! I started by driving the Long Canyon. It was easy, though I was unnecessarily nervous about fitting under a huge tilted boulder.

under the boulder!

I’m going to add some pictures to this post, and start a second message with more.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are a couple of more shots from Long Canyon:

Here are a couple of shots from Arches NP. Seemed like it was always heavily overcast and not good for photography when I was in that park.

there is a famous overlook of the Colorado River at Deadhorse Point State Park.

there is a trail with vehicles on it in the lower third of what you see above. This intrigued me and lead me to the Shafer Switchbacks, and the trail along the River.

we will start with the Shafer Switchbacks. The internet says these only go down 800 feet. It seemed a lot more than that when I drove it! I was a little tense of course but it wasn’t really a problem.

and here is a shot from the bottom where you can see a few of the same features on the horizon left of center!

I was surprised how intimidating the edge above the River was for me, and I didn’t get close enough for a really good shot. I guess my courage was all used up by the switchbacks! :)

the trail goes on for about twenty miles and you return to paved roads by passing through the grounds of a potash plant! If you look caref you can see the “private property“ sign next to a balanced Boulder on the plant grounds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You can fit under it!!!😎
Did you walk out to the "Beehive"???😎
I was intrigued and would have loved to! It was just sitting by the road with no fanfare, not part of a park. But it was fenced and appeared to be private property so I was a good boy and just took snapshots from the road.

as for the Boulder I had my window open and was watching my roof anxiously as I pulled through, but there was surprising amount of room! Wasn’t even close.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,344 Posts
I was intrigued and would have loved to! It was just sitting by the road with no fanfare, not part of a park. But it was fenced and appeared to be private property so I was a good boy and just took snapshots from the road.

as for the Boulder I had my window open and was watching my roof anxiously as I pulled through, but there was surprising amount of room! Wasn’t even close.
It's not private property. You would have been impressed if you walked out there. I don't know if you stopped to check out "Hole in the Rock", but it is very similar. Somebody back in the day did some serious excavating once you go through that opening!!! You should have let me know you were going through Moab, it's my second home, literally, and I could have set you up with some cool places to check out. Did you stay the night out there???😎

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not private property. You would have been impressed if you walked out there. I don't know if you stopped to check out "Hole in the Rock", but it is very similar. Somebody back in the day did some serious excavating once you go through that opening!!! You should have let me know you were going through Moab, it's my second home, literally, and I could have set you up with some cool places to check out. Did you stay the night out there???😎
I’ll do that next time! I liked the area better than I expected, Cancelled Farmington, NM on the way home to add two extra days in Moab. It is a shame they ended up to be Saturday and Sunday, though!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I’ll do that next time! I liked the area better than I expected, Cancelled Farmington, NM on the way home to add two extra days in Moab. It is a shame they ended up to be Saturday and Sunday, though!
Yes, lodging prices are sky high right now. I'm getting double per night this year renting my duplex out from what I've been getting in previous years, and I'm almost completely booked up through Christmas!!! Looks like you stayed at one of the hotels??? Next time jump on Air BnB, or VROB, there's still some deals to be found most of the time for the smaller accommodations...😎

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
astonishing, thanks for sharing!
Come on out and see us man, we'd love to show you around!!! A trip to Moab should be on everyone's bucket list. If I ever get to retire, I'm going to be a full time resident!!! LOL!!!😎

·
Registered
3,344 Posts

I guess you didn't make it up to the Rim, and the Top of the World huh???
EDBAWcKXUAIR-SS_476332142059437.jpg_large.jpeg

·
Registered
836 Posts
Mike- Thanks for posting! Great pictures! I hope to get out there someday. I've traveled a lot of the US over the years, just not that particular spot. ;)

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
When I did Death Valley in the 1970's there were very few gas stations.
Apparently we are getting "modern".
I always carried extra gas and 2 spare tires.
Ya, not many gas options in Death Valley for sure, and the few around are probably charging at least $5 a gallon right now!!! Not like that here in Utah...😎

·
Registered
836 Posts
Being prepared is never a bad thing! Traveling through Death Valley, or up the Alaska Highway, I'd definitely be taking spare fuel, tires, food, etc. etc.! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ya, not many gas options in Death Valley for sure, and the few around are probably charging at least $5 a gallon right now!!! Not like that here in Utah...😎
At least $5/gal, it was $3.55 back in Nov'20 when we were there.

Attachments

Reactions: Flybynightcru
1 - 20 of 29 Posts