2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a Limited that fits my needs and aside from meaningless stuff like color, the only drawback (for me) is that it rides on 18 inch wheels instead of the 17s used in the Lat.

I've read lots about wheel size and handling/ride comfort, and understand the benefits of the larger size. but I really liked the way the 17s behaved on the Latitude I tested. I'm wondering if anyone purchased a Limited and then bought/swapped wheels. the dealer I'm working with won't do it...

any/all thoughts appreciated....i'm a jeep newbie...

thanks

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
I've found a Limited that fits my needs and aside from meaningless stuff like color, the only drawback (for me) is that it rides on 18 inch wheels instead of the 17s used in the Lat.

I've read lots about wheel size and handling/ride comfort, and understand the benefits of the larger size. but I really liked the way the 17s behaved on the Latitude I tested. I'm wondering if anyone purchased a Limited and then bought/swapped wheels. the dealer I'm working with won't do it...

thanks
Keep it @ 18. If you go for 17's then you would also have to change the metrics of the tire and might end up changing the final gear ratio. I have the Limited, I keep the tires inflated @37 cold and it handles frkn gr8t. I live in the mtns in NW Ga and we got a lot of twists and turns here and the car holds the road like glue. I scare the crap out of the ole lady going down the mtn curves. 35mph snake turns at 50-55 and not a sound or a movement. Hugs it like glue. Why mess up a good thing.

Reactions: Veteran

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I agree with Gamtnmann. I have a TH with 17" wheels and big knobbies for the off-roading we like to do, but if I had a Limited, I'd want the 18s for the roadholding.

·
Registered
421 Posts
...If you go for 17's then you would also have to change the metrics of the tire and might end up changing the final gear ratio...
The OEM tires on the17s and the 18s are within 0.4%, or about a tenth of an inch, of the same overall diameter. They're interchangeable without any adverse impacts, although you should always run four of the same size.

In the 18" OEM size, you can generally get better handling tires, though. I'm going to use my Latitude's 17" wheels for winter tires and buy a set of 18s with A/S tires for the other three seasons. HPH

·
Registered
12 Posts

thanks
That’s really good to know. I have factory wheels and need tires soon. I just came from the dealership and I saw a Cherokee with 18 inch wheels. All I got was the cost. I love the way the Look. Mine at 17” look puny like a car tire. I got a print out for a more “ meaty” 17 inch tire but on the way out I saw 18’s on a Cherokee. The salesman said yes I can put them on and yes they have the wheels & tires in stock. It’s going to be costly but I want a better ride. I’m like you in western NC. Lots of hills & curves, mountain driving. I’m not enjoying 17 inch wheels-it’s worse control now they are almost bald. After reading your message (mountain man in GA) I’m definitely going to $pend the money and get 18 inch wheels $650 ea.) and Michelin tires (up to 300 each) that doesn’t include labor & tax. Thank you for taking the time to write that. Snake curves at 55! 😆 LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
That’s really good to know. I have factory wheels (17’s) and need tires soon. I just came from the dealership and I saw a Cherokee with 18 inch wheels. All I got was the cost. I love the way the Look. Mine are 17” look puny like a car tire. I got a print out for a more “ meaty” 17 inch tire but on the way out I saw 18’s on a Cherokee. The salesman said yes I can put them on and yes they have the wheels & tires in stock. It’s going to be costly but I ant s better ride. I’m like you in western NC. Lots of hills & curves, mountain driving. I’m not enjoying 17 inch wheels. After reading you message I’m definitely going to $pend the money and get 18 inch wheels $650 ea.) and Michelin tires (up to 300 each) that doesn’t include labor & tax. Thank you for taking the time to write that. Snake curves at 55! 😆 LOL
Sorry typos. I want 18 inch wheels. Mine are 17 inch and I’m just not feeling it. If I gotta pay hundreds I want a wow factor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Keep it @ 18. If you go for 17's then you would also have to change the metrics of the tire and might end up changing the final gear ratio. I have the Limited, I keep the tires inflated @37 cold and it handles frkn gr8t. I live in the mtns in NW Ga and we got a lot of twists and turns here and the car holds the road like glue. I scare the crap out of the ole lady going down the mtn curves. 35mph snake turns at 50-55 and not a sound or a movement. Hugs it like glue. Why mess up a good thing.
Thanks for your information on the 18 inch tires. I need tires soon. Mind are factory 17 inch. Dealer showed me more “ meaty “ tires and said go look on the lot at Cherokees and see if you like anything. Yep! Michelin 18 inch tires. During the supply shortage there are few 17’s in stock. Do I told him about the 18’s he said yes wheels are in stock and plenty of Michelin tires of varying prices. Awesome. It’s going to cost some money but I don’t want a 17 inch car tire on my Cherokee. I want to feel the difference. I drive mountain and foothills in NC so I need more control and I want the Jeep to hug the curves. I want a nice ride. After reading here I’m definitely going to open up my pocket book and get the bigger wheels. I saw them and I said awe! Nice! That’s just what I want. It’s going to cost but it’s going to have the WOW factor when I look and drive my Jeep. It will be a new improved Jeep. I CS wait until the end of February to make the transition. Thank you mountain man in Georgia!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
So cool I can get bigger tires. I’m a older female Veteran and I didn’t know I could get bigger tires. I’m Syked!! It’s like getting a new car!! The ride and control is going to be awesome!! I’m glad I found this club today after going to see the dealer about tires. I hope more people would join! Why doesn’t the dealership tell us about this club? That would be helpful.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My 21 Cherokee came with 19" wheels with 235/50 tires. These wheels look better than either 17" or 18" wheels available and the ride/handling is fantastic. I am also in the same camp as 95% of all SUV/CUV owners in that the car will never go off road.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,883 Posts
I am also in the same camp as 95% of all SUV/CUV owners in that the car will never go off road
Likely due to the fact that 95% of all SUV/CUV's aren't capable of going offroad like our Cherokees. I mean, a BMW X5 would look pretty damn silly with some 31" A/T's on it...😉😎

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
I like my 17"s with the extra sidewall on the AT3W's. Better for airing down,
and they look and handle great! Sometimes they will squeal a little if I'm
really hauling around corners, but they still stick and I do it on purpose... :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 21 Cherokee came with 19" wheels with 235/50 tires. These wheels look better than either 17" or 18" wheels available and the ride/handling is fantastic. I am also in the same camp as 95% of all SUV/CUV owners in that the car will never go off road.

Wow, that’s awesome!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Likely due to the fact that 95% of all SUV/CUV's aren't capable of going offroad like our Cherokees. I mean, a BMW X5 would look pretty damn silly with some 31" A/T's on it...
With the exception of the Trailhawk the Cherokee is no more off road capable than any other compact SUV/CUV. These vehicles are designed with a focus on good road manners and a comfortable ride. My daughter has a BMW X5 and it is a high performance station wagon. It has 275/40-20 high performance summer tires and is RWD only.

·
Registered
58 Posts
With the exception of the Trailhawk the Cherokee is no more off road capable than any other compact SUV/CUV.
My Overland might disagree with you just a little. Even the Subaru CrossTrek I had before this wouldn't have been able to do this little climb because its front overhang was even longer than the Cherokee's, and you can see where I dug a little. Most other compact SUV/CUV models have less clearance and more overhang than even the Subaru. And while the Subaru could probably have handled the sandy climb, most compact SUV/CUV models would have failed on that as well.

Tire Plant Wheel Car Vehicle

There are plenty of roller tests on YouTube showing how poorly some of the other AWD systems perform. And here's a video of an off-road test of several SUV/CUVs. Not all of them could make it up a hill that likely would be pretty easy for Cherokee with AD2 in 4WD Low. Since none of the vehicles that made it have low range, even an AD1 Cherokee could likely make it to the top with the Forester and Rav4.

All SUV/CUV AWD systems are not the same.

I do hate the way they drag out these videos by trying the automatic modes first. You're off-road, just put it in the best off-road mode for the situation and go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts