2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
1,550 Posts
Time for a new insurance company. Make sure you get good glass coverage. No deductible on mine . Tried the chip repair on mine when it got chipped and my ocd said nope and I had them replace the windshield. They didn't even bat an eye .
I have $50 deductible on mine for glass. But I've never had a broken windshield yet (knock on wood)

Reactions: Flybynightcru

· Registered
1,550 Posts
well at least it's fun getting a new windshield. I love new glass! I guess they'll do the work indoors, not out in the parking lot?
Every time anyone I know has gotten a new windshield, their car leaked after.

· Registered
1,550 Posts
You have to get OEM if you want to keep the little Willys... :cool:
Probably need OEM because the turbo has the special acoustic glass to cut down on turbo engine noise.

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's not as common as it used to be on the older cars with "full gasketed" windshields. Our windshield is basically glued onto a sealing gasket. Can it happen? Yes, but almost always due to piss poor, improper installation. A properly skilled glass guy can always install any windshield, on any vehicle successfully without leaks, or any other drama associated, such as all the technology crap associated with our loaded Cherokees. The challenge is finding the right guys, in a world full of lazy morons...😉😎

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Probably need OEM because the turbo has the special acoustic glass to cut down on turbo engine noise.
I will be getting the proper OEM glass, with the wiper heating elements, the black borders around the entire windshield, including around all of the technology sensors and gadgets, and of course, the little Willy's climbing the A pillar. It's a $1200 piece of glass. I'm still researching just who I want to do the replacement, because if it's not done right the first time, whomever it is will be doing it again until it is right. Might be the dealer, since they already know how I am, and know I don't play with halfa$$ services...😎

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Over the years I've had a few replaced, never a leak.

· Registered
4,533 Posts
never happened to me & I must have had 5? windshields replaced over the past 40? years

& oh my gosh, I've also had 3 sunroofs cut into my cars & none of those leaked either

I must be doing something wrong

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
157 Posts
It's not as common as it used to be on the older cars with "full gasketed" windshields. Our windshield is basically glued onto a sealing gasket. Can it happen? Yes, but almost always due to piss poor, improper installation. A properly skilled glass guy can always install any windshield, on any vehicle successfully without leaks, or any other drama associated, such as all the technology crap associated with our loaded Cherokees. The challenge is finding the right guys, in a world full of lazy morons...😉😎
My old 83 Shelby charger 2.2 windshield leaked on the passenger side. It was always fun driving on the highway and see the passenger get hit by water.

· Registered
2022 Trailhawk Elite 3.2L
1,101 Posts
I have a chip in mine and it's currently 17 degree's here in Northern Nevada. It's parked in my heated garage until the repair guy/gal gets here Monday.;)

· Registered
1,599 Posts
I have "comprehensive with full glass coverage" on all my vehicles. It's like $8 more for 6 months for the glass coverage for the Cherokee. On my JK, well, let's just say that the vertical windshield is a rock magnet and I have gotten more than my money's worth from the $0 glass replacement. The Cherokee isn't far behind. I've used it for 2 windshields and 3 chip repairs so far. $0.

The last chip repair was in the driver's line of sight. I hesitated but since my windshield sensors are now super well tuned (took factory + 2 windshields to get it right) I decided on the repair. A week later I got two more chips! Darn it (polite form). Anyway, 2 more chip repairs - none in the driver's sight this time. The next chip will be a replacement no matter what.

State Farm is good at two things. Soaking me for a lot of money (except for the glass coverage part), and leaving the decision on glass repair or replacement to me.

· Registered
93 Posts
Here in AZ, all policies come with full glass coverage (I think, you might be able to decline this I'm not sure). On our JGC they use any windshield (Peterson - I think), With my Wrangler they would only use Jeep glass (because everyone wanted the little Jeep in the corner). Haven't cracked the windshield on the Cherokee yet, but it is coming eventually.

· Registered
2019 Cherokee Limited
62 Posts
Well damn!!! So I got a small rock chip on Monday, and immediately called Safelite to get it in for a chip repair. The soonest they could get me in was tomorrow. Long story short, we got about a foot of snow overnight, and a little colder temperatures than we've had for the last couple weeks. Got the car cleaned off, and sure as $#*t, the chip crawled completely across the windshield in both directions, so now the $100 chip repair turned into a $1200 windshield replacement. Called Geico to inquire about the situation, whom I've been having it out with for the last couple months because they keep raising my premiums for no reason, with their excuse of "Well, you live in a high claim and accident area"...WTF??? So I'm a professional driver that between myself, and my wife haven't had an accident, or even filed a claim in over three decades has to pay more because of the rest of the morons??? "Why yes Sir, you do"...😳
So, I called them this morning and told them I'll be making a claim for the new windshield, and was informed my deductible will be $500!!! I told them for that, I will FOR SURE be installing a factory Jeep replacement. The customer service moron started babbling about some cost limit, and that's when I said, Hey Geico, GFY...and hung up on him...We'll see what happens...😎
View attachment 222111
Wow I would be renewing who I was insured with to be getting such poor service. Obviously every country is different and I have glass cover with my insurance which cost me $50 excess for replacement glass and free chip repair and with the windscreen replacement I get an original screen with the willy’s Jeep in the corner and the sensors recalibrated.

· Registered
29 Posts
Also, don't get mad at your insurance Co. because your deductible is 500 bucks. You chose it when you signed up for your policy, and you can change it anytime you want, all the way to 0.
As far as aftermarket vs OEM, I would never pay for OEM glass. It's a scam. Most OEM glass is made by aftermarket windshield manufacturers nowadays. If they say the don't have the trim piece, using universal molding won't hurt.

· Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Also, don't get mad at your insurance Co. because your deductible is 500 bucks. You chose it when you signed up for your policy, and you can change it anytime you want, all the way to 0.
As far as aftermarket vs OEM, I would never pay for OEM glass. It's a scam. Most OEM glass is made by aftermarket windshield manufacturers nowadays. If they say the don't have the trim piece, using universal molding won't hurt.
Yeah, this is true. Mine is $500 as well, but you have to way the risk
with the reward. Reward, you save money on monthly premiums.
Risk, what are the odds of me breaking my windshield? LOL
I've already had the first crack, said screw it and had it repaired
which Progressive covers. I still see the stupid chip, but I know
I saved a ton of money! It sucks the crack grew before you could
get it fixed, but hey.... Congrats on the snow! :cool:

Reactions: Flybynightcru

· Registered
278 Posts
Well damn!!! So I got a small rock chip on Monday, and immediately called Safelite to get it in for a chip repair. The soonest they could get me in was tomorrow. Long story short, we got about a foot of snow overnight, and a little colder temperatures than we've had for the last couple weeks. Got the car cleaned off, and sure as $#*t, the chip crawled completely across the windshield in both directions, so now the $100 chip repair turned into a $1200 windshield replacement. Called Geico to inquire about the situation, whom I've been having it out with for the last couple months because they keep raising my premiums for no reason, with their excuse of "Well, you live in a high claim and accident area"...WTF??? So I'm a professional driver that between myself, and my wife haven't had an accident, or even filed a claim in over three decades has to pay more because of the rest of the morons??? "Why yes Sir, you do"...😳
So, I called them this morning and told them I'll be making a claim for the new windshield, and was informed my deductible will be $500!!! I told them for that, I will FOR SURE be installing a factory Jeep replacement. The customer service moron started babbling about some cost limit, and that's when I said, Hey Geico, GFY...and hung up on him...We'll see what happens...😎
View attachment 222111
If you have military ties, I suggest USAA. I have been a member for almost 20 years and they have never treated me wrong. Plus, I get one windshield per year with no deductible (maybe a SC thing...not sure). Matter of fact, I had my F150 shield replaced with the factory Soundglass last year and didn't cost me anything...they even paid for my tint (prescription).

AK4wheeler

AK4wheeler

21 - 40 of 40 Posts