2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well damn!!! So I got a small rock chip on Monday, and immediately called Safelite to get it in for a chip repair. The soonest they could get me in was tomorrow. Long story short, we got about a foot of snow overnight, and a little colder temperatures than we've had for the last couple weeks. Got the car cleaned off, and sure as $#*t, the chip crawled completely across the windshield in both directions, so now the $100 chip repair turned into a $1200 windshield replacement. Called Geico to inquire about the situation, whom I've been having it out with for the last couple months because they keep raising my premiums for no reason, with their excuse of "Well, you live in a high claim and accident area"...WTF??? So I'm a professional driver that between myself, and my wife haven't had an accident, or even filed a claim in over three decades has to pay more because of the rest of the morons??? "Why yes Sir, you do"...馃槼
So, I called them this morning and told them I'll be making a claim for the new windshield, and was informed my deductible will be $500!!! I told them for that, I will FOR SURE be installing a factory Jeep replacement. The customer service moron started babbling about some cost limit, and that's when I said, Hey Geico, GFY...and hung up on him...We'll see what happens...馃槑
Cat Carnivore Felidae Whiskers Terrestrial animal

Administrator
Same situation with my wife's 2017, small chip went to foot long crack because I didn't feel like paying the $500 deductible for a $700 windshield...ended up doing it and man that was the hardest $500 to spend, just for the principle of it.

When we lived in FL there was no deductible windshield replacement if it was damage in the drivers vision area, got kinda spoiled.

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
You have to get OEM if you want to keep the little Willys... :cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have rain sensing wipers, that can also cause issues with windshield replacement.
I do have all of that stuff, and it better not. It better all work as it did before, or Safelite and I are going to have a problem. If you Google "Anal Vehicle Service Customer", my picture will probably come up...馃槈馃ぃ

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
funny I was just going to ask about windshield replacement as I have a crack in the lower passenger of mine. I totally want to keep the willy's jeep on the lower drivers side. I did not even know what that was until I removed the New York state inspection sticker covering it up. I also have the heated windshield wiper area on the front.

So I guess I will need OEM, can I still go through safelite eyc or just Jeep? At least insurance covers it for free

Registered
I do have all of that stuff, and it better not. It better all work as it did before, or Safelite and I are going to have a problem. If you Google "Anal Vehicle Service Customer", my picture will probably come up...馃槈馃ぃ
so not: "'anal for car repair" ?

Registered
Well damn!!! So I got a small rock chip on Monday, and immediately called Safelite to get it in for a chip repair. The soonest they could get me in was tomorrow. Long story short, we got about a foot of snow overnight, and a little colder temperatures than we've had for the last couple weeks. Got the car cleaned off, and sure as $#*t, the chip crawled completely across the windshield in both directions, so now the $100 chip repair turned into a $1200 windshield replacement. Called Geico to inquire about the situation, whom I've been having it out with for the last couple months because they keep raising my premiums for no reason, with their excuse of "Well, you live in a high claim and accident area"...WTF??? So I'm a professional driver that between myself, and my wife haven't had an accident, or even filed a claim in over three decades has to pay more because of the rest of the morons??? "Why yes Sir, you do"...馃槼
So, I called them this morning and told them I'll be making a claim for the new windshield, and was informed my deductible will be $500!!! I told them for that, I will FOR SURE be installing a factory Jeep replacement. The customer service moron started babbling about some cost limit, and that's when I said, Hey Geico, GFY...and hung up on him...We'll see what happens...馃槑
So apparently you were unaware what the deductible was for window glass replacement on your policy? Or did you not have a choice in the amount when you got the policy?

Here in MN it's a law that insurance companies offer a $0 deductible option for window glass coverage. The law also states that the policy holder can choose the installer and if you want an OEM window the insurance company must pay for it. I don't know if Utah has similar laws, but if not, perhaps you are at the mercy of your insurance company.

I've been with State Farm my entire life and they have never raised my rates, even though I've made several claims over the years, not to mention the many speeding tickets I've gotten. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here in MN it's a law that insurance companies offer a $0 deductible option for window glass coverage. The law also states that the policy holder can choose the installer and if you want an OEM window the insurance company must pay for it. I don't know if Utah has similar laws, but if not, perhaps you are at the mercy of your insurance company.
Ya, here at least with Geico it's just part of the comprehensive coverage, which is a $500 deductible. I've never checked about extra windshield replacement coverage, because I've had pretty good luck with keeping them in one piece on our personal vehicles anyway. I probably average at least a couple a year on the transporter fleet tractors. It is what it is, I'll be shopping for a new insurance provider as soon as I get squared away with the replacement. I told them today, maybe you wouldn't have to raise premiums for your safe driving customers, if you cut back on the massive advertising budget with your lame a$$ commercials 80 times a day on literally every network...馃槈馃槑

Administrator
@Flybynightcru Ha! Just finished a rebuild of an antique Captain's home locally that had a freeze up lat winter. Total job including myself and all subs was just under $200k.

Insurance company dicked around and the customer called to drop them ..before they could get the words out, the insurance agent told him they were cancelling his policy..:mad:

Registered
I told them today, maybe you wouldn't have to raise premiums for your safe driving customers, if you cut back on the massive advertising budget with your lame a$$ commercials 80 times a day on literally every network...馃槈馃槑
Oh, no doubt. Just like the State Farm commercials. Imagine how low our insurance rates could be if the companies didn't spend millions on advertising.

And you probably don't want to know this, but a Google search just informed me that in 2021 Geico spent 1.5 billion...yes, billion, on advertising! 馃槻

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
2022 Cherokee Trailhawk
I don't even know what my glass deductible is because I'd never use insurance for that. Believe me, they'll get every penny back, and it's already high enough for clean driving records.
I replaced one on my wife's Volt and it was under 500 from a company that came to the house. That was for OEM because the standard aftermarket didn't have the spot for all of the sensors on that loaded car. I'd shop around and find a local guy who travels to the job and doesn't have national advertising. Those guys don't have any shop overhead, and just buy what they need when they need it.

Registered
View attachment 222111
Be glad you didn't have to repair a front end collision out of pocket like myself.

Reactions: Flybynightcru
1 - 20 of 38 Posts