2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New uconnect 5 with wireless carplay and Android auto seems very interesting. Shocking part of it all is that The UI is built off off the Android OS.

I find it insane that the current uconnect 4C can't support wireless carplay and Android auto.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
79 Posts
Alex does a nice review of it, although he’s not able to say which vehicles will have it.

Reactions: shemmar360

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Cool, I got the best Uconnect! I'm glad it doesn't automatically go to
carplay wireless. The only time it pops up is when I plug the phone
in, and that's just to charge it. LOL

·
Registered
861 Posts
I wonder if at some point, you could swap out your old Connect system (screen and hardware), and get the new one? :unsure:

Either way, it wouldn't matter as it would be prohibitively expensive no less.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
I think since the 4C can receive OTA updates, we should get
new maps automatically.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if at some point, you could swap out your old Connect system (screen and hardware), and get the new one? :unsure:

Either way, it wouldn't matter as it would be prohibitively expensive no less.
Based on the specs that thing is putting out I'm gonna guess no. I'm sure with the new generation of vehicles its shipping out with will have new canbus settings and requirements for that radio to play nice with it, which ours won't ever have.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
I hope that Uconnect 5 has improved wireless connectivity if the Carplay and Android Auto implementations are going to rely on that mechanism primarily. With Uconnect 4C, I've found that the Bluetooth link to my phone can be a little spotty. Phone calls are OK, but when playing music files, the sound quality and stability of the link are noticeably better when the phone is plugged in than when I rely on Bluetooth. In fact, music quality over Bluetooth seems inferior to what I experienced in my Ford Escape, which was a 2013 model.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
I have a USB thumb that lives in the center counsel.
That's where I keep all my MP3's.

Reactions: Snowhawk2015

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wonder if/when we could expect to see updates for this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can I download a UCONNECT 5 software update that enables the latest features in my 2014 KL?
If not, can they make it a dealer restricted (to avoid rooting) upgrade?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Can I download a UCONNECT 5 software update that enables the latest features in my 2014 KL?
If not, can they make it a dealer restricted (to avoid rooting) upgrade?
No.
You need the new hardware and by the sounds of it, the new car with canbus changes to go with it

2015 Limited diesel Australia

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
No.
You need the new hardware and by the sounds of it, the new car with canbus changes to go with it

2015 Limited diesel Australia
Correct, the 2014 is the old Uconnect 3 hardware. This is not just a software update.

Maybe if they put Uconnect 5 into the Cherokee, they will finally add the Off Road pages :rolleyes:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Cool, I got the best Uconnect! I'm glad it doesn't automatically go to
carplay wireless. The only time it pops up is when I plug the phone
in, and that's just to charge it. LOL
I actually hope my 2019 gets updated to support the car play wireless.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Generally, new hardware is required for the wireless component to work. So I'd think unlikely.

Suzuki Jimny
If it were to happen, I hope there woud be an option to opt out in Uconnect. I like the bluetooth phone part, but never use carplay.

Sent from my TI-99/4A

·
Registered
563 Posts
If it were to happen, I hope there woud be an option to opt out in Uconnect. I like the bluetooth phone part, but never use carplay.

Sent from my TI-99/4A
There is a setting in AlfaOBD for enabling/disabling apple car play, but I don't know what it would do and I like my car play so I'm not messing with it.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
The only time I plug my phone in is to charge it. Otherwise
the bluetooth seems to be pretty reliable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts