2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New TrailHawk Elite owner here. Just got my 2019 THE yesterday. I had a 2016 latitude and that was great.
my vehicle history: (some)

2016 Latitude > 2017 Grand Cherokee (latitude to the wife who commandeered the GC when I retired)
2016 Latitude (back to me) > 2018 4Runner > 2020 JLU Wrangler Willys > 2019 THE.

some observations....
after driving the JLU Willys for almost a year..

Man, this thing is comfortable....:)
Man, this thing is quiet....:)
Man, ventilated seats are great....:p
Man, Uconnect 8.4 has progressed since the 2016 latitude & 2017 GC...:cool:
Man, the 6-speaker audio needs to be upgraded...;)

so far, it's been an easy swap....

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
New TrailHawk Elite owner here. Just got my 2019 THE yesterday. I had a 2016 latitude and that was great.

2016 Latitude > 2017 Grand Cherokee (latitude to the wife who commandeered the GC when I retired)
2016 Latitude (back to me) > 2018 4Runner > 2020 JLU Wrangler Willys > 2019 THE.

some observations....

Welcome from Utah!!!馃槑

Registered
I agree 100% cmtaz. At a certain age, living in AZ one realizes that beating your kidneys and sweating your a$$ off during a 114* summer (May-Oct) one starts to appreciate vented seats and a nice ride (even in a TH) compared to a Wrangler... well, ...everyone will get there eventually! 馃榿

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
I agree 100% cmtaz. At a certain age, living in AZ one realizes that beating your kidneys and sweating your a$$ off during a 114* summer (May-Oct) one starts to appreciate vented seats and a nice ride (even in a TH) compared to a Wrangler... well, ...everyone will get there eventually! 馃榿
Obviously, everyone whining about global warming has never spent a normal summer in the greater Phoenix area. Thousands a day aren't dying from the heat everyday, it's called air conditioning...LOL!!!馃槑

Registered
I have a 2019 TH/E as well - with the 2.0L Turbo. Love it. I also have a 2008 JKU Rubicon. Love it, but for different reasons. Something about having the right tool for the job! 馃敤

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2019 TH/E as well - with the 2.0L Turbo. Love it. I also have a 2008 JKU Rubicon. Love it, but for different reasons. Something about having the right tool for the job! 馃敤
My Wrangler that I traded in had the 2.0L Turbo - the acceleration was amazing!!
The TH/E has the 3.2 (same as my wife's GC). The acceleration is more than sufficient. Once you've had a 4Runner an Ebike will seem quick. ;)锟 The T4R is a GREAT vehicle, however the tech and acceleration could stand some updating.

Registered
2020 Trailhawk 2.0T Diamond Black

some observations....

[/QUOTE]
My Wrangler that I traded in had the 2.0L Turbo - the acceleration was amazing!!
The TH/E has the 3.2 (same as my wife's GC). The acceleration is more than sufficient. Once you've had a 4Runner an Ebike will seem quick. ;)锟 The T4R is a GREAT vehicle, however the tech and acceleration could stand some updating.
I still need to get some better speakers in mine.... priorities though! Why did you trade in the JLU? Just not practical anymore? I assume one day, if I ever get a JL, I'd never look back. Especially if they have vented seats!!!

Obviously, everyone whining about global warming has never spent a normal summer in the greater Phoenix area. Thousands a day aren't dying from the heat everyday, it's called air conditioning...LOL!!!馃槑
Well the people whining are probably the ones who are suffering and dying, because you know, people in northern latitudes don't have air conditioning. So it is quite literally killing them. But it will definitely get worse, of course. As long as there aren't major power outages during a future summer heatwave down in these southern regions people will just keep living their daily lives and not think about it.

I know it sucks in Colorado for sure. maybe 50/50 for having AC here. I was talking to my HVAC guy the other day, and he joked "yeah only rich people can afford AC these days" - sad but true. The folks who just aren't as lucky as us, or in a bad rental situation, or are not as financially sound as us, yeah they suffer while we just chill indoors. Sucks for everyone really. I'd rather just be outside enjoying good weather and nature, ain't nobody going outside in Denver when it's in the upper 90s. Also the heat island effect is no joke! Counting down the days till ski season here. At least this summer as been mostly under 100, and lots of moisture from the monsoonal patterns. Plus no wildfire smoke really at all (yet!) I'll take it!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still need to get some better speakers in mine.... priorities though! Why did you trade in the JLU? Just not practical anymore? I assume one day, if I ever get a JL, I'd never look back. Especially if they have vented seats!!!
[/QUOTE]

"Why did you trade in the JLU?"
The Wrangler was great on short drives. Took it on a 3000-mile trip (PHX > Yellowstone). While it was reliable, never gave me any issues, the 2.0 Turbo is a beast on the highway, I decided that either vehicle would handle my daily driving (to and from the gym). It's a lot of vehicle to have for that purpose, and as I've gotten older, comfort may be more important than extreme ruggedness. Having had a 16 Latitude, the Cherokee is MUCH more comfortable and quieter than the Wrangler. It has more creature comforts and the Trailhawk will go anywhere I would take the Wrangler (easy off roading).

Mod #1 was replacing the dash speakers with the Mopar / Kicker Dart upgrades. Took 15 minutes and was a substantial improvement to the sound. I will do more, but slowly.

Reactions: skwormin

Registered
The Hohokam lived in the Phoenix area from 400 AD to around 1450 AD. They dug canals that supported an estimated 50,000 people. DId they have A/C? Nope.
My wife's parents lived in Phoenix in the late 50's. Did they have A/C? Nope.
Do I use A/C when it's hot (100F+) out? Nope, at least not until the dew point is above 50F or so.
People have been using some sort of evaporative cooling for many years. Look at some of the cars in the Southwest from the 50's and 60's. No A/C for sure, but many are shown with a water bag hanging off the front of the car. These were "wet bags" (seeped a little water through the canvas), and the water stayed remarkably cool.
Many Phoenix daily heat records still stand from the late 1800's, so it's been hot for a long time**.

The point is it's not the heat, it's knowing how to live with it. Being a recovering Yooper I know that it takes a bit to figure it out, so the people dying probably just haven't had the opportunity to figure it out! Hint: HYDRATION!

**Just a little off-topic, "official" temperature measurements need to be taken with that proverbial grain of salt. For example, The 122F set in 1990 will probably stand for many years since after that the thermometer was moved away from the tarmac at Sky Harbor Airport!

Registered
The Hohokam l\ived in the Phoenix area from 400 AD to around 1450 AD. They dug canals that supported an estimated 50,000 people. DId they have A/C? Nope.
Do I use A/C when it's hot (100F+) out? Nope, at least not until the dew point is above 50F or so.
People have been using some sort of evaporative cooling for many years. Look at some of the cars in the Southwest from the 50's and 60's. No A/C for sure, but many are shown with a water bag hanging off the front of the car. These were "wet bags" (seeped a little water through the canvas), and the water stayed remarkably cool.
Many Phoenix daily heat records still stand from the late 1800's, so it's been hot for a long time**.

The point is it's not the heat, it's knowing how to live with it. Being a recovering Yooper I know that it takes a bit to figure it out, so the people dying probably just haven't had the opportunity to figure it out! Hint: HYDRATION!

**Just a little off-topic, "official" temperature measurements need to be taken with that proverbial grain of salt. For example, The 122F set in 1990 will probably stand for many years since after that the thermometer was moved away from the tarmac at Sky Harbor Airport!
People before air conditioning were badasses. I grew up on the ocean in South Orange County SoCal where the average temperature all year long is 72掳. We never had A/C, and rarely needed heat. We lived in Georgia for 6 years, and I still think 85掳 with 85% humidity is way worse than 112掳 with 8% humidity. They kept saying "You'll get used to it"...I never did...馃槑

Registered
The Hohokam l\ived in the Phoenix area from 400 AD to around 1450 AD. They dug canals that supported an estimated 50,000 people. DId they have A/C? Nope.

People before air conditioning were badasses. I grew up on the ocean in South Orange County SoCal where the average temperature all year long is 72掳. We never had A/C, and rarely needed heat. We lived in Georgia for 6 years, and I still think 85掳 with 85% humidity is way worse than 112掳 with 8% humidity. They kept saying "You'll get used to it"...I never did...馃槑
yeah I mean I'm not disagreeing with any of that, but that doesn't make the reality anymore enjoyable lol. I will always long for winter, and watching it slowly fade over my short lifetime is definitely depressing to say the least.

As far as what we can withstand without AC or other cooling means, it's all really about the "wet bulb" temperature. We'll see how it pans out, at least my A/C is cranking fine.

Registered
Mod #1 was replacing the dash speakers with the Mopar / Kicker Dart upgrades. Took 15 minutes and was a substantial improvement to the sound. I will do more, but slowly.
Do you have a link to where you bought these? I think I have 15 minutes.....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have a link to where you bought these? I think I have 15 minutes.....
I bought them along time ago. They were from the Wrangler I traded in, Amazon I think.

Look for the Dart Mopar / Kicker upgrade.

Reactions: skwormin

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Registered
NO - those are the 6.5 inch, for the dash you want the 3.5 inch. Search for 77KICK25AB. Those go in the dash of the Cherokee (or the rollback of the Wrangler).
That is what I found originally, the the amazon bot seems to think it won't fit

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Font Bicycle part

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is what I found originally, the the amazon bot seems to think it won't fit
That's what's in the front dash of mine.

Some notes: 1 of my 2 pairs of JBLs arrive yesterday so they were installed this morning. I found the Kickers to be a little 'bright', so I applied some weather-stripping foam to the underside of the dash grill. It absorbs some of the highs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts