2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am so happy to get this car after researching endlessly with wonderful help from this community. It's a 2017, 30K miles, V6 beast in metallic granite with chrome delete, pano-roof, and lot's of other bells and whistles.

As the header says, looking for some simple mods. Want to keep it close to 100% stock but into some subtle enhancements.

Looking at the following:

- Swap interior tungsten lights with LED (but the threads on this seem risky, I don’t want to mess with the pristine electronics, make errors, problems, etc.)

- swap out the underwhelming 6 speaker sound system with Kickers or similar

Thats all for now, love any ideas or suggestions. This community has been wonderful so far!

Here's the beast...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hella 500FF driving lights, did it for under $100.
If you don't have threaded holes for the front tow hooks this may be difficult to accomplish.
I have a Trailhawk so it was easy.

·
Registered
8,755 Posts
Hi there. Nice looking Jeep !

As fas as adding driving lights : your 2017 ALT+ does have factory HID headlights, right ? If so, this mod is probably not as needed as with 2014-15-16s with halogen headlights (= they suck). You could swap out the fog lights though, with complete LED solutions (not just the bulb). If interested, search this forum for LED foglights, or ask and someone will point you in the right direction. Goal there with good fog lights is to provide a better, wider beam in foul weather, because the original halogen fog lights... suck ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

As fas as adding driving lights : your 2017 ALT+ does have factory HID headlights, right ? If so, this mod is probably not as needed as with 2014-15-16s with halogen headlights (= they suck). You could swap out the fog lights though, with complete LED solutions (not just the bulb). If interested, search this forum for LED foglights, or ask and someone will point you in the right direction. Goal there with good fog lights is to provide a better, wider beam in foul weather, because the original halogen fog lights... suck ;)

Hi Mark, thanks for your helpful response. I have a slightly annoying but related update – a few hours after I posted here the passenger side HID headlamp blew out (see pic), one day after I picked it up! Oddly, the computer shows no headlamp error.

This is obviously a pain so soon after purchase for an expensive new (to me) car. The dealer (it's a Kia dealer not Jeep) is several hours away and has offered to reimburse if I want to fix locally as I'm in California and we are under a "stay at home" lockdown.

I also learned from my local FCA/Jeep dealer – coincidentally the garage that has previously serviced my car – that they had replaced the driver side headlamp after it melted down in 2018.

My question here is – are there any known issues with the 2017 Cherokee headlights?? as this car has had two headlamp related incidents in a couple of years. I'm hoping this is just some bad luck, but also wondering if the car or it's electrical is suspect?

I have booked a PPE for tomorrow to see if there are any other issues with the car. It was in pristine condition and will come with a 4 year 'factory' warranty administered by JM&A?

Technically the car is not even mine yet and just a 'loaner' due to delays with out-of-state paperwork and Covid 19, etc.

Any opinions eagerly sought, underwhelming first 48 hours with a car I researched well and was really enjoying :/ .

·
Registered
431 Posts
That’s a 3rd party warranty. Gotta be careful, read the paperwork carefully. Heard some horror stories but I don’t know anything about that company, do your due diligence....

Nothing but good luck to you and welcome! Great group of knowledgeable (way more then me for sure) people here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,755 Posts
Hi Mark, thanks for your helpful response. I have a slightly annoying but related update – a few hours after I posted here the passenger side HID headlamp blew out (see pic), one day after I picked it up! Oddly, the computer shows no headlamp error.

This is obviously a pain so soon after purchase for an expensive new (to me) car. The dealer (it's a Kia dealer not Jeep) is several hours away and has offered to reimburse if I want to fix locally as I'm in California and we are under a "stay at home" lockdown.

I also learned from my local FCA/Jeep dealer – coincidentally the garage that has previously serviced my car – that they had replaced the driver side headlamp after it melted down in 2018.

My question here is – are there any known issues with the 2017 Cherokee headlights?? as this car has had two headlamp related incidents in a couple of years. I'm hoping this is just some bad luck, but also wondering if the car or it's electrical is suspect?

I have booked a PPE for tomorrow to see if there are any other issues with the car. It was in pristine condition and will come with a 4 year 'factory' warranty administered by JM&A?

Technically the car is not even mine yet and just a 'loaner' due to delays with out-of-state paperwork and Covid 19, etc.

Any opinions eagerly sought, underwhelming first 48 hours with a car I researched well and was really enjoying :/ .

View attachment 210686
Hmmm. Honestly, I haven't heard of any problems with factory HIDs. A few have posted about burnt HID bulbs, but they were due. Your 2017 with 30K miles doesn't scream bulbs are at their life's end. Being told the other one "melted" is surprising, no clue what that was or means...

I'm in Canada and warranties are different here, so I'm not one to comment on your situation, thoough it does sound like a third party warranty, and those are usually honored only at certain dealerships, those who deal with said company.

Wish I had more for you...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is great Mark and helpful, thanks for your eyes on this forum. When the tech said the other headlamp had 'melted' in 2018, he meant the housing. Pure speculation but I wonder if the issue is related to 2017 being the first year HID was added (maybe I have that wrong?) and there were some kinks.

Thanks Mark and @OhareFred I will have to look closely at the warranty and which dealers accept it.

I have Repairsmith coming tomorrow to do a full inspection of the car, hopefully everything else checks out, if so I'll move ahead.

·
Registered
8,755 Posts
This is great Mark and helpful, thanks for your eyes on this forum. When the tech said the other headlamp had 'melted' in 2018, he meant the housing. Pure speculation but I wonder if the issue is related to 2017 being the first year HID was added (maybe I have that wrong?) and there were some kinks.

Thanks Mark and @OhareFred I will have to look closely at the warranty and which dealers accept it.

I have Repairsmith coming tomorrow to do a full inspection of the car, hopefully everything else checks out, if so I'll move ahead.
Good to know it's getting a thourough inspection.

FYI : HIDs started in 2014 on these Cherokees, on Limiteds (only) with the Luxury package. Same for 2015s and 2016s (Limiteds with Luxury) and also on Overland models when they became available (I forget when). So no, nothing new as far as 2017 HIDs, except the fact they were available on all trims except Sport (IIRC).
A melted housing doesn't sound great, wish I knew why it happened (?). For the passenger side bulb, perhaps... it was due, these xenon bulbs typically go after 2000 hours, give or take.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to know it's getting a thourough inspection.

FYI : HIDs started in 2014 on these Cherokees, on Limiteds (only) with the Luxury package. Same for 2015s and 2016s (Limiteds with Luxury) and also on Overland models when they became available (I forget when). So no, nothing new as far as 2017 HIDs, except the fact they were available on all trims except Sport (IIRC).
A melted housing doesn't sound great, wish I knew why it happened (?). For the passenger side bulb, perhaps... it was due, these xenon bulbs typically go after 2000 hours, give or take.
Cheers again Mark. Inspection wrapping up now. Car gets a passing grade with the caveat a rodent was living in the engine bay while on the lot for a week or two, awesome. The only damage he could find was to some foam and padding. He did not find any other cable damage but it' not super confidence inspiring.

Repairsmith is fixing the busted passenger light now for $374 (incl 12 mos warranty).

·
Registered
8,755 Posts
Cheers again Mark. Inspection wrapping up now. Car gets a passing grade with the caveat a rodent was living in the engine bay while on the lot for a week or two, awesome. The only damage he could find was to some foam and padding. He did not find any other cable damage but it' not super confidence inspiring.

Repairsmith is fixing the busted passenger light now for $374 (incl 12 mos warranty).
Rodent damage is hopefully minimal. $374 for a xenon bulb replacement is nuts. OEM bulbs (D3S) on Amazon are $125 for a pair :

... and to replace one is about 30 minutes for someone who's done it before (passenger side : remove air box, replace bulb, put air box back, done).

Wish I had more encouraging thoughts. Not an easy decision you have to make there..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rodent damage is hopefully minimal. $374 for a xenon bulb replacement is nuts. OEM bulbs (D3S) on Amazon are $125 for a pair :

... and to replace one is about 30 minutes for someone who's done it before (passenger side : remove air box, replace bulb, put air box back, done).

Wish I had more encouraging thoughts. Not an easy decision you have to make there..
Thanks Mark, headlamp fixed, car feels good again and passed all other checks. It's so pristine and well cared for it's hard to imagine it being abused, but lessons learned and took some of the joy out of my maiden week, although not much driving going on with the California lockdown anyway. Seller is reimbursing the $374 for lamp so that's not on me.

Hoping it's somewhat smoother sailing after this initial round of 'fun'. Next time a headlamp blows, hopefully some years out! I'll know what to do and just DIY it. Guess I wanted a "Pro" to check everything and make sure it wasn't more than the bulb.

·
Registered
8,755 Posts
Thanks Mark, headlamp fixed, car feels good again and passed all other checks. It's so pristine and well cared for it's hard to imagine it being abused, but lessons learned and took some of the joy out of my maiden week, although not much driving going on with the California lockdown anyway. Seller is reimbursing the $374 for lamp so that's not on me.

Hoping it's somewhat smoother sailing after this initial round of 'fun'. Next time a headlamp blows, hopefully some years out! I'll know what to do and just DIY it. Guess I wanted a "Pro" to check everything and make sure it wasn't more than the bulb.
Having it inspected by a pro was a very wise decision. Sounds like you have a very decent vehicle there. Buying a vehicle is rarely 100% joy, used or even new, we go with what we have and have to trust our gut, a little, haha.

I wish you nothing but the best going forward : the Jeep, your health, you name it. And do stop by the forum for questions or to share your Jeep experience ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice rig! Good to hear that the seller is covering the headlight issue. As far as low cost mods can't say that I've done too many of them yet but some that I want to do too...
  • Interior LEDs - but you're right about the errors. I plan on digging through the forum at some point to find someone who's found some with the built in resistors.
  • Rubber mats - totally worth it. I've got the trailhawk trim so they came with mine but I dropped another $100 for a back hatch mat too. Really nice to keep everything clean(er) when loading up dirty gear.
  • Tint front driver windows - can't tell if it's been done on yours already but would look even sharper if not!
  • Fog lights - seconded on these. I replaced mine a couple months ago with some amber LED plug-and-play replacements. I think I still have them too low since I haven't taken the time to line them up on a wall but makes a world of a difference (would rather too low than blind people!). Nice thing about fog lights too is there's no monitoring so no error codes to worry about.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts