2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.. new here.. Just bought my first jeep. a Cherokee Latitude 2014 model.. 76k miles. I do really like it in both style and how comfortable it is to drive. before theis past weekend though..(only had it about 2 weeks now so far.) I noticed I had no heat.. and when your temps get down to in the 7 to 11 degrees F. Heat is kinda a nice thing to have... It was out for a day or so but I noly drove it a little bit to the store up teh road and back. Not to fast and not to far as it was a snowstorm. Then I had to go into work one morning and on the way to work it started overheating if I tried going over 50mphs. The temp guage would go up and the the notification would come on. I made it to work slowly.. and after work I checked a few things.. I was thinking probably the thermostat. But checked the coolant first . It looked to be quite low so I drove over to Meijers across the street and bought a gallon. I put some in and it drained out of the reservoir into the system.. I put a little more.. same thing.. wouldn't fill.. Finally I put a lot more in and it started to take.. took almost the whole gallon to get it to the line. But.. afterwards I have heat.. and its not overheating anymore. I've been checking it every day and I notice it keeps getting low. I most likely have a leak but I'm not seeing any spots under it.

I was reading on here a few posts and you guys have said if theres coolant in the reservoir than its full enough so.. where exactly did it go to when I poured it in.. cause there was some in the bottom of the reservoir.. Just confused here.. I still feel like I have a leak but wanted to get others thoughts

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Hello Everyone.. new here.. Just bought my first jeep. a Cherokee Latitude 2014 model.. 76k miles. I do really like it in both style and how comfortable it is to drive. before theis past weekend though..(only had it about 2 weeks now so far.) I noticed I had no heat.. and when your temps get down to in the 7 to 11 degrees F. Heat is kinda a nice thing to have... It was out for a day or so but I noly drove it a little bit to the store up teh road and back. Not to fast and not to far as it was a snowstorm. Then I had to go into work one morning and on the way to work it started overheating if I tried going over 50mphs. The temp guage would go up and the the notification would come on. I made it to work slowly.. and after work I checked a few things.. I was thinking probably the thermostat. But checked the coolant first . It looked to be quite low so I drove over to Meijers across the street and bought a gallon. I put some in and it drained out of the reservoir into the system.. I put a little more.. same thing.. wouldn't fill.. Finally I put a lot more in and it started to take.. took almost the whole gallon to get it to the line. But.. afterwards I have heat.. and its not overheating anymore. I've been checking it every day and I notice it keeps getting low. I most likely have a leak but I'm not seeing any spots under it.

I was reading on here a few posts and you guys have said if theres coolant in the reservoir than its full enough so.. where exactly did it go to when I poured it in.. cause there was some in the bottom of the reservoir.. Just confused here.. I still feel like I have a leak but wanted to get others thoughts
Welcome from Utah!!! If it's taken a whole gallon, then it was pretty darn close to completley empty, which would for sure cause no heat because there is no coolant flowing through the heater core. Which engine do you have? You may have gotten lucky the fact that it is winter time, and the engine was hopefully "air cooling" itself enough to not cause serious damage. If there's no coolant flowing, you're not going to get an accurate temperature, since the sensor works to determine the temperature of liquid, not air flowing through it. I'm not sure about the 2014's, but hopefully you used the proper coolant as well. I know the grocery store doesn't sell the coolant that my 2019 uses. Lastly, once you do get coolant flowing in the system, there's a procedure for bleeding the air out of the system as well. We've seen overheating caused by air in the system. Use the search bar and you will find many threads about our cooling system. Good luck and keep us posted...馃槑

Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
It's the OAT coolant/antifreeze is what the 2014-18 KL's use and suspect that holds true for 2019 and on. It's Organic Acid Technology - it lasts longer and better for the environment with spills. You can't mix it with anything else. Flybynightcru seems to have a pretty decent explanation as to the 'why' of it.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
@Phenix75 which engine do you have? If its the V6 check around where your oil filter cap is for any coolant in the V of the engine. The V6 uses a plastic oil filter cooler housing that is prone to leak either oil or coolant or sometimes both especially with age. Plastic gets brittle and cracks or the seals start leaking. Another common place on the earlier 2014's is the front coolant crossover pipe that runs right behind your cooling fans. It uses a plastic quick connect fitting and can leak pretty bad with age. Check radiator, hoses etc. Some coolant hoses run behind the engine as well so check carefully. Other than that if no visible leaks found I would recommend having a cooling system pressure test done. Hopefully this is a recent leak and not something the previous owner covered up leading to more issues such as blown head gasket if overheated for too long etc. Whatever you do do not use any stop leak type products. It will do more harm than good with plugging up your heater core, radiator etc. Let us know what you find out. Sorry the new Jeep is having issues so soon in ownership.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Everyone for your replies and info.. Its a v6 3.2. I will check those specific places everyone mentioned for any possible issues. What I got at Meijers was a coolant that was full strength for chrysler vehicles My dads a autobody guy and I sent the pic to him to make sure I was getting the right stuff.. he said yes.. though I am looking at the pic now and I don't think he paid attention to it cause I am just now noticing it says it "MIXES" with any coolant.. considering there was no coolant in it apparently.. I think I messed up. I am about to take it to get an oil change because the sticker on the window says it needed one at 74k miles or back in June of last year I may have them drain the coolant and and put all new coolant in if I can just for safe measure.

also for reference I got this from a dealership.. I am really surprised they didn't check the coolant or change the oil.

Someting else to mention is that my Uconnect won't come on when its cold or when i start my vehicle.. I get that USB message followed by a message that says take it to dealership. It works fine after the vehcile warms up a bit though. After checking through here I've found theres no fixes really but we did find a RA3 for 125 so I lucked out on that. Should be here this next week to install. but thats a completely different issue.

Registered
You should only use MOPAR 50/50 Prediluted antifreeze MOPAR part number 68163849AB MS-12106.
Fill the reservoir to the FULL line. Screw the cap on tightly.
It only fits one way and is difficult to turn, at least for us weaklings.
MOPAR has other similar types of antifreeze but they should not be used.
Have the Jeep parts person use your VIN to get the correct antifreeze.
My 2014 uses a little coolant, I think it just evaporates over time.
Periodically I suck out the old fluid and add new antifreeze to maintain the additives.
If a foreign fluid was added the entire system should be drained, refilled and bled correctly,
which means a Jeep dealership will have to do it. (just my opinion)

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
You should only use MOPAR 50/50 Prediluted antifreeze MOPAR part number 68163849AB MS-12106.
Fill the reservoir to the FULL line. Screw the cap on tightly.
It only fits one way and is difficult to turn, at least for us weaklings.
MOPAR has other similar types of antifreeze but they should not be used.
Have the Jeep parts person use your VIN to get the correct antifreeze.
My 2014 uses a little coolant, I think it just evaporates over time.
Periodically I suck out the old fluid and add new antifreeze to maintain the additives.
If a foreign fluid was added the entire system should be drained, refilled and bled correctly,
which means a Jeep dealership will have to do it. (just my opinion)
And probably flushed as well!:cool:

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah.. Definitely looking like A flush is in order here... I have to take it to a dealer anyway to get it checked out so might as well get it flushed.. the dealership i bgot it from is 2 hrs away but when it started overheating and everything we contacted them and they said take it to the local dealership and they'd pay for it

Registered
Considering how long you plan on driving your Jeep, you should consider replacing the serpentine belt since a coolant hose needs to be removed in order to replace the belt.
Have the belt checked for cracks on the ribbed side. Serpentine belts seem to doing good but old rubber is old rubber. Especially if it is hot where you live.
Ask your Jeep dealer what they think, they should have a good idea about belt life. Maybe even replace some hoses if they are prone to failure.
Sometimes the belt tensioner can wear out, usually the pully bearings.
Probably optional but get some second opinions.

Registered
Dealer tech here. Check your radiator and upper radiator hose for leaks, and also check the thermostat assembly and coolant crossover on the front of your engine for any leaks. I just replaced my thermostat assembly and coolant crossover due to a pretty decent coolant leak there, and I have a slightly leaky upper radiator hose I'll be taking care of soon as well. I've seen radiators on Cherokees leak exceptionally heavily to the point that losing coolant in very short amounts of time is not surprising. Cherokees don't have radiators leak often, but when they do, it makes quite a mess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts