2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I start by saying that the audio shop that was going to install my Kicker Key 200.4 called and said they were backed up, and they did not want to rush it. So, we agreed to reschedule for next week.

That gave me time to drive around and listen to the TS-A709 Pioneer 2.75-inch speakers I installed yesterday. I had the Mopar / Kicker 3.5-inch upgrades, and they were a bit overpowering for my taste (they are now for sale for 50.00$). The pioneer A709's are 4 ohms but rated at 82db (not very loud or efficient). The JBL GT7-96 are rated for 94db (fairly loud and efficient). The mix to me seems like a perfect blend. As opposed to the sound coming out of the dash corners, it now seems more balanced, more enveloping.

Since these are 2.75" (not 3.5") a little finagling was required BUT no modifaction to the speaker or the clips in the dash. Get BOTH screws started BEFORE tightening and they will go in fine.

Camera lens Automotive tire Point-and-shoot camera Flash photography Lens

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim Carbon

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,118 Posts
OK, looks good. Do you have the 6-speaker setup and are the door speakers stock?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6 speaker yes, door speakers are JBL GT7-96.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,118 Posts
I went with the same brand for all six speakers thinking about sensitivity, impedance, etc. being more equal. Thinking that your setup likely sounds good and will only be better with the Kicker.

I went a step further. I cut openings in the door and dash panels and added aftermarket speaker covers and also went with insulating material (Retromat from Crutchfield) in all speaker cavities. The reasoning is that the door and dash panels are acoustically sound deadening and I wanted whatever sound being reproduced to transfer more from the speaker, not the door interior.

Good luck with your set up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...I cut openings in the door and dash panels and added aftermarket speaker covers and also went with insulating material (Retromat from Crutchfield) in all speaker cavities...
I thought about that. I still have 40 sqft of leftover noico mat from my 2014 Mustang. I popped of the door panels to change out the 6x9s, and said "NOPE", not cutting the basket, door etc. Fortunately, the Cherokee is a pretty quiet vehicle. Of course, coming out of a Wrangler Willy's (just slightly quieter than an F/A 18 fighter), anything seems quieter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts