2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

New member and first time poster. Glad to be here.

I'm scheduled to pick up a 2019 Cherokee in the next few days. This is a Carmax vehicle that's coming from out of state (I live in Mass and the Cherokee is from Maryland via Ohio). The vehicle looks great on paper - one owner, only 11K miles, limited trim loaded with technology, luxury, and towing packages, and the V6 engine.

I plan on taking Carmax up on its "24-hour test drive" so I can take my time with it before committing to buy it. Beside the obvious, is there anything specific that I should be on the lookout for? As a first-time Jeep owner, I welcome any suggestions. Also, any experiences working with Carmax.

Also, I've read some mixed reviews on Cherokee reliability, but my brother has a 2014 that's been good to him. Still, I'm considering a warranty. Is this a worthwhile investment on these vehicles? Any experiences using one? My credit union offers Rt. 66 (5 yrs./120,000 miles for $1,657.00 with no deductable). I'm also considering Carmax's MaxCare or, if possible, a Mopar factory warranty. I have a great, independent mechanic that I'd like to keep using, though I'm not opposed to using a dealership if the warranty specifies this.

Thank you!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have a 2019 myself with 25,000 on it and it hasn't needed any work at all. But reliability is indeed a mixed bag with these Cherokees and I decided that it was in my best interests to get an extended warranty on it since I plan on keeping it for years.

Check out the thread below for good pricing on a genuine Mopar warranty. Enjoy your new Cherokee!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2019 myself with 25,000 on it and it hasn't needed any work at all. But reliability is indeed a mixed bag with these Cherokees and I decided that it was in my best interests to get an extended warranty on it since I plan on keeping it for years.

Check out the thread below for good pricing on a genuine Mopar warranty. Enjoy your new Cherokee!

Thank you for the good info and for the link, Lindy. Do you know if I can add this at anytime, or do I need to sign up when I purchase the vehicle?

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
369 Posts
I didn't get a warranty on mine when I got it about 6 months ago. Now, that being said, without looking at the details of what they cover, the one from your Credit Union sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thank you for the good info and for the link, Lindy. Do you know if I can add this at anytime, or do I need to sign up when I purchase the vehicle?
You can buy it at any time, but the longer you wait the higher the cost will be. Also note that depending upon when that 2019 of yours was purchased originally, the original factory warranty might still be in effect.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
2020 Cherokee High Altitude
235 Posts
We bought extra warranty for ours. Our 2020 Cherokee already had one significant issue due to defective relays and our 2018 Jeep Compass has spent more time in the shop than all the other car's we've ever owned combined.

Jeep (and its sibling brands) straight up do not have good reliability. They just don't. There are a few lucky ones and they are always on here to give their anecdotal stories but the facts are the internet is rife with Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat product reliability complaints and our dealership where we bought both of ours new is in a constant state of being overwhelmed with cars that need work. You can't even find a parking spot to check your vehicle in half the time, and its always that busy, since the day we bought our first one in August of 2017 and had to get it in the shop for work less than 2 weeks later. We don't even live in a big/populated area.

We just get the extra warranty and resign ourselves to it. No other brands offer what these cars have in terms of comfort, style, capability, etc. You don't buy a Jeep for reliability. This is true for virtually every other brand except Honda and Toyota, not just Jeep. Chevy, Ford, any of them. The cars have too much tech and computer control, far too overcomplicated, and produced within an inch of their lives due to fierce competition amongst brands.

That's just my opinion based on our experience and we've owned a lot of different brands of cars over the years. We've been sticking with Jeep because of the comfort, style, and capability. Our Honda's were rock-solid in reliability, we have a CR-V in our driveway with over 301,000 miles on it right now, but we can't stand Honda seats for road trips and their styling is just meh. Extra warranty plugs the only major hole with owning a Jeep and we chug along happily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the input. We have a Honda Odyssey with 160K and zero problems, but we also have a Grand Marquis with 260k that runs perfectly; it's almost certainly going to fall victim to rust before any mechanical problems kill it. We're pretty easy on our vehicles and try to maintain them well, but the consensus says that the Jeep is still likely to develop some issues over time - and perhaps sooner than expected.

I'm strongly considering the factory warranty at this point.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Jeep (and its sibling brands) straight up do not have good reliability. They just don't. There are a few lucky ones and they are always on here to give their anecdotal stories but the facts are the internet is rife with Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat product reliability complaints and our dealership where we bought both of ours new is in a constant state of being overwhelmed with cars that need work. You can't even find a parking spot to check your vehicle in half the time, and its always that busy, since the day we bought our first one in August of 2017 and had to get it in the shop for work less than 2 weeks later. We don't even live in a big/populated area.
I know I'm nitpicking a bit here, but part of, perhaps a big part, of the reason your dealership is always swamped is not necessarily because Jeeps always need repairs, but rather because you don't live in a highly populated area, so your dealer options for repairs are limited.

Jeeps are very popular in MN where we both live, so there are tons of them on the road. But in a large metropolitan area all those Jeeps have many dealerships available and getting them worked on isn't an issue. Same goes for the other manufacturers. Around here I've never heard of anyone who couldn't get their vehicles in for repairs promptly regardless of brand. Usually it's the next day, or two days out at most.

So a big factor will always be where you live, how many dealerships exist, how big they are, how well staffed they are, etc. So saying Jeeps always need repairs simply because your dealership is always swamped is just more ''anecdotal' evidence to take with a grain of salt. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Cherokee High Altitude
235 Posts
So saying Jeeps always need repairs simply because your dealership is always swamped is just more ''anecdotal' evidence to take with a grain of salt. ;)
No doubt, but I'm also considering we've had several Hondas from the Honda dealership less than a mile up the road and their service department never seems to be as busy or overwhelmed. Same area. But then again there is an apples to oranges problem because the Honda dealership just services Honda vehicles... ours has to service Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, and Nissan... too many brands under one small roof! Don't see a lot of Nissan's in the service center lot though. I had a new Nissan for a while in 2016 that never gave any issues but didn't have it super long either, traded it in on the Compass.

@CherokeeBlue I obviously don't know the fine print but your credit union warranty sounds like a pretty good deal for the money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to thank everyone for your thoughtful input. We've had our Cherokee for over a month now and are really enjoying it. It rides great and has all the comforts and conveniences we could ask for. Got the bumper-to-bumper factory warranty linked above by Lindy - a great deal at $1,200 for 8 years/85K. Have also added the all-weather factory mats recommended on another thread and they fit great. Looking forward to getting a trailer next for some camping adventures. Again, thank you all.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
What a pleasant relief, finally a "happy camper"!
See if you can get the 4 digit radio PIN from CarMax or your Jeep dealers Parts Department.
Also make sure you got both key fobs with the physical keys.
There is some sort of Uconnect ritual to remove the previous owners information.
Return to factory defaults or something like that.
I don't totally understand all of this but somebody on this forum can help.
If not ask your Jeep dealers sales and/or Service Department.
There have been some unpleasant Posts on this Forum about the above issues so might as well deal with them sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,291 Posts
I have a '19 Limited and @ 53K (on a 7 year/100,000 mile CPO warranty) I haven't had to do anything other than a rotation and oil change in the past year.

The big thing to consider is whether you would rather prepay and have the peace of mind for a warranty (and possibly never need it) or rely on your own funds if/when the Jeep needs repairs.
The big deciding factor is if you are still within the 3 year/36,000 bumper (you may be able to get one out to 48,000 miles), that makes it a lot cheaper to get a factory max care warranty.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True, this vehicle was still within the three-year period and only has 13K miles on it, so it made the MaxCare warranty especially affordable and something we likely won't hit the mileage limit on before the 8-year window ends.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts