2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am in the process of changing my chrome and silver to black and grey. I have already plasti-dipped my roof rails and front grille to black. I have purchased the grey Jeep badges and lettering (pictured below) to replace the chrome. (Although it kinda looks cool completely debadged...) My next step is to put black vinyl over the chrome trim around the windows and dip the wheels.

Here comes the color question... Should I dip the wheels with matte black, or anthracite grey to match the new badges?

I am also adding a decal along the side, this will likely be in the matte black (same as the rails and grille to provide a ghost effect) or possibly in the anthracite color to match the badges.

The first picture below is my Jeep in Progress. The following images are source ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
honestly, whatever you do dont use plasti dip. Since you have the badges off, sand them, primer them(self etching primer is great stuff) and paint them with whatever color you choose followed by a satin clear or gloss clear. It is not difficult at all so long as you take your time. It will last longer and look better. Alternatively, you can buy emblem overlay vinyl on etsy super cheap. I spent like 20$ on mine and did all the decals. Check my showcase to see.
since your jeep looks to be gloss black, Grey is cool, loads of people have done red. Krylon makes a fusion paint called dark grey metallic that looks awesome and will color shift somewhat(because its metallic) I recently did some badges with it, though bear in mind i did alternate coats of the metallic and a flat black sprayed from like 1.5 feet to mix them on the surface- can be tricky. the paint by itself looks pretty awesome though. (i made a post in the exterior section recently if you want to see the color)
in the end, its your jeep you gotta make it look the way you want. With a black base to work with almost any color your heart would desire will match.

on the wheels, if you dip them, you will most likely need to have them re-balanced afterwards. dip has weight and will throw off the balance of your wheels slightly resulting in odd tire wear or worse shaky steering at highway speeds. If you want them to last, you could have a shop paint them. though that can get pricey fast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts