2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to replace the left side liftgate motor and right side strut on my 2014 latitude. I have been searching google for good directions or videos for this with no luck. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Securely prop the liftgate fully open.
The right gas strut replacement should be fairly straight forward. Maybe only replacing it will fix it.
If you need to replace the left powered liftgate strut look at the new one and figure out where the electrical connection happens.
Hopefully you will figure it out.
I have never done this repair and don't think it has been documented anywhere.
Try the Chrysler 200 site, sometimes they have useful information.
You have the honor of providing the first instructional video, go for it!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Don't neglect doing a Youtube video. There should be a Youtube video for EVERYTHING.
The power liftgate still works on my 2014 TH at 91k miles, should I be planning on replacing one or both struts?
I really hate surprises when I am off road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had to remove mine on 2018 trailhawk as stuck open( heard bang when closing tailgate, bottom mount and clamp came off ) and could not close liftgate( strut was stuck open no movement ) should be similiar.

What I did was clamped right strut to hold tailgate open with a cloth and vise grips.

the plastic on left piller I removed with my hand from the outside weather stripping partially and pulled down a bit of the headliner.

Removed the rubber gasket at top of strut and pulled on cable and saw the connector under the headliner and disconnected it.

now on top of strut and bottom there this a metal clip that can be pulled of it that holds the strut on the mounts.

And its off took me less than 5 minutes, spend more time investigating why failed.

Took jeep to dealer 2 months ago, and was covered under warranty. Finally last week got in to get it replaced ( boy did i miss the power lift gate feature ) and took them 20 minutes to install and test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts