2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audio equipment Radio Cassette deck Electronic device Technology

I looked and couldn't find a post addressing this. I recently upgraded from uconnect 5.0 ra2 with xm to uconnect 8.4 ra4 and cant seem to figure out how to get the navigation to work. It shows me about 1000 mile away in Quebec and the gps is showing no signal. I added a gps antenna to the pink fakra on the back of the head unit and it still won't work. I have a white and yellow fakra connector and added the pink. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Don't have a clue. Just buy a Magellan windshield suction mount GPS receiver and avoid the grief.
Needless to say I can't help, I don't even know what you are talking about.
I think you need 8.4 AN to get navigation, RA4 doesn't support navigation???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have a clue. Just buy a Magellan windshield suction mount GPS receiver and avoid the grief.
Needless to say I can't help, I don't even know what you are talking about.
I think you need 8.4 AN to get navigation, RA4 doesn't support navigation???
Ra4 has built in navigation. It shows the map but the gps isn't getting a signal

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,402 Posts
RA4 is the 8.4AN

as far as the FAKRA connectors, from here: Trying to identify Uconnect 8.4 FACRA connectors
Font Automotive exterior Parallel Engineering Automotive tire

Red - Cam
Pinkish (Violet) - 3G Antenna for Uconnect Activated Services
Mustard Yellow - GPS/SAT radio Antenna
White - AM/FM Antenna
Burgundy - 4G antena (for 4G hotspot)

The mustard yellow carries both the GPS and XM sattelite signals, multiplexed together (how I am not sure)

Reactions: rumrunner

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RA4 is the 8.4AN

as far as the FAKRA connectors, from here: Trying to identify Uconnect 8.4 FACRA connectors
View attachment 220219

Red - Cam
Pinkish (Violet) - 3G Antenna for Uconnect Activated Services
Mustard Yellow - GPS/SAT radio Antenna
White - AM/FM Antenna
Burgundy - 4G antena (for 4G hotspot)

The mustard yellow carries both the GPS and XM sattelite signals, multiplexed together (how I am not sure)
I have the yellow FAKRA hooked up. The xm radio works fine but no joy on the nav. I've tried everything I can think of.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You may have a yellow connection, but no GPS signal running through it... :cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Used. Its from a 2015 cherokee
Do you know 100% that gos was working before because this seems to be a fairly common issue with these units and the gos chip going bad inside of them. I know there's a few threads about it and I've posted in them, my radio has been dead for about a year with this same issue. Worked one day then the next day turned my car on and it was displaying as being in the middle of long island sound and hasn't worked since. Very well may be a dead unit if it's having these types of issues and you know you have a good antenna hooked up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you know 100% that gos was working before because this seems to be a fairly common issue with these units and the gos chip going bad inside of them. I know there's a few threads about it and I've posted in them, my radio has been dead for about a year with this same issue. Worked one day then the next day turned my car on and it was displaying as being in the middle of long island sound and hasn't worked since. Very well may be a dead unit if it's having these types of issues and you know you have a good antenna hooked up.
After doing some more research I noticed the unit need an update. The seirra wireless air card failed to update and bricked my unit. I fought for a few hours to get it working again. With that failing I think your right that the nav Is dead unfortunately.

·
Registered
61 Posts
After doing some more research I noticed the unit need an update. The seirra wireless air card failed to update and bricked my unit. I fought for a few hours to get it working again. With that failing I think your right that the nav Is dead unfortunately.
Sorry to hear that, it's unfortunate these things seem so fairly likely to fail and all uconnect/the dealer will tell you is you need to buy a whole new unit. I have been struggling and dealing with this for a year now and based on prices of a used headunit or repairing mine, I think I might be going the aftermarket android head unit route.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to hear that, it's unfortunate these things seem so fairly likely to fail and all uconnect/the dealer will tell you is you need to buy a whole new unit. I have been struggling and dealing with this for a year now and based on prices of a used headunit or repairing mine, I think I might be going the aftermarket android head unit route.
The first update i did was to 17.43.01 I believe. It caused my unit to black out and i finally got it going. After reading a different thread last night I opened my headunit and used contact cleaner on all the connectors inside and I firmly pressed on the sierra wireless aircard to make sure the chips were all still seated properly and then reinstalled and ran update to 18.45.1 to my surprise the whole update took and nav showed in a different location so I was hopeful it might start working again. But this morning it's back in Quebec. If I go aftermarket will it retain all factory features?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Have you verified that you have a GPS antenna connected to the Yellow Fakra terminal?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you verified that you have a GPS antenna connected to the Yellow Fakra terminal?
Everything that I've read shows that if the vehicle has xm radio which mine does that it has a dual antenna which also handles navigation. If you have seen something else I would be very intrested because I don't know what else to try.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Everything that I've read shows that if the vehicle has xm radio which mine does that it has a dual antenna which also handles navigation. If you have seen something else I would be very intrested because I don't know what else to try.
Here's a thought, since you put an aftermarket antenna on a FAKRA terminal, take that one and plug it into the Yellow at the radio, you wont have XM, but if you gain any SAT signals, you'll know that the antenna (or some wiring along the way) is at fault. If you still don't get any SAT signals, I would then think that you got a radio with faulty NAV... :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a thought, since you put an aftermarket antenna on a FAKRA terminal, take that one and plug it into the Yellow at the radio, you wont have XM, but if you gain any SAT signals, you'll know that the antenna (or some wiring along the way) is at fault. If you still don't get any SAT signals, I would then think that you got a radio with faulty NAV... :cool:
I snapped the pink fakra off the gps antenna I bought so it would fit the yellow fakra connection and still nothing.... not looking good.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
The first update i did was to 17.43.01 I believe. It caused my unit to black out and i finally got it going. After reading a different thread last night I opened my headunit and used contact cleaner on all the connectors inside and I firmly pressed on the sierra wireless aircard to make sure the chips were all still seated properly and then reinstalled and ran update to 18.45.1 to my surprise the whole update took and nav showed in a different location so I was hopeful it might start working again. But this morning it's back in Quebec. If I go aftermarket will it retain all factory features?
yes but all the menus will be different. takes a while to learn the ins & outs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts