2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
9,117 Posts
Awesome. Assuming the one mentioned in the OP of the thread is more than good enough to do the trick?
Yes, there's quite a few to choose from. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P3, which is on the higher end, and it was around $170. I pull a 16 foot enclosed utility trailer loaded down around 3000-3500lbs most of the time, and it works perfectly with plenty of adjustability. There are cheaper options, but I tend to not skimp on safety components...😎

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi! We’re new to towing and recently purchased a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite (2.0 Turbo engine) and want to install the tow hitch. We reached out to some family friends who own a shop about getting the hitch installed and they’ve been really hesitant to do the work because they don’t think the jeep is “meant to tow” if it didn’t come factory installed, especially if it doesn’t have wiring installed already. Am I crazy for thinking this shouldn’t be an issue? From everything we know about the Trailhawk specifically, it comes factory equipped with all tow prep except the hitch itself and wiring harness and is just a matter of whether someone decided to add that on while doing a factory build, and shouldn’t impact its performance. We’ve looked into it extensively and have seen many people doing this after purchase. Is there an issue with adding this on now that would hinder the vehicles ability or towing capacity? I appreciate any help or guidance you may have!

· Premium Member
5,404 Posts
Hi! We’re new to towing and recently purchased a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite (2.0 Turbo engine) and want to install the tow hitch. We reached out to some family friends who own a shop about getting the hitch installed and they’ve been really hesitant to do the work because they don’t think the jeep is “meant to tow” if it didn’t come factory installed, especially if it doesn’t have wiring installed already. Am I crazy for thinking this shouldn’t be an issue? From everything we know about the Trailhawk specifically, it comes factory equipped with all tow prep except the hitch itself and wiring harness and is just a matter of whether someone decided to add that on while doing a factory build, and shouldn’t impact its performance. We’ve looked into it extensively and have seen many people doing this after purchase. Is there an issue with adding this on now that would hinder the vehicles ability or towing capacity? I appreciate any help or guidance you may have!
Go to the Jeep dealer and have them install an OEM hitch and wiring. It will require a extra part or two like a modification of the bumper trim. Sure the cost will be higher, maybe. But it needs to be done correctly. The Cherokee is definatly meant to tow but limited to "properly" equipped. Officially per warranty you are limited to 2,000lbs on a non factory installed hitch.
The issue is the hitch should be installed so it looks OEM from the factory. It looks much better and will tow better as its installed properly. Properly is that its correctly mounted where it was intended to go and the correct mounting bolts (all mopar parts) are used. The dealer will also have to software adjust (software update for towing) the trailer wiring so it works properly and will function if you ever use trailer brakes.
As far as "properly equipped" is a personal judgement and yours alone. Can you tow over 2,000lbs with this Trail Hawk turbo? You should be fine in my opinion if you have all the extra cooling needed as you say on that trail Hawk. You may have to look at some extra maintenance like a transmission oil change going forward as its not lifetime towing under heavy conditions in my opinion. As long as you do not push the upper range of tow limits which I believe is 4k for the turbo. Not sure that is the number for the 2019 though. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

· Registered
5 Posts
Go to the Jeep dealer and have them install an OEM hitch and wiring. It will require a extra part or two like a modification of the bumper trim. Sure the cost will be higher, maybe. But it needs to be done correctly. The Cherokee is definatly meant to tow but limited to "properly" equipped. Officially per warranty you are limited to 2,000lbs on a non factory installed hitch.
The issue is the hitch should be installed so it looks OEM from the factory. It looks much better and will tow better as its installed properly. Properly is that its correctly mounted where it was intended to go and the correct mounting bolts (all mopar parts) are used. The dealer will also have to software adjust (software update for towing) the trailer wiring so it works properly and will function if you ever use trailer brakes.
As far as "properly equipped" is a personal judgement and yours alone. Can you tow over 2,000lbs with this Trail Hawk turbo? You should be fine in my opinion if you have all the extra cooling needed as you say on that trail Hawk. You may have to look at some extra maintenance like a transmission oil change going forward as its not lifetime towing under heavy conditions in my opinion. As long as you do not push the upper range of tow limits which I believe is 4k for the turbo. Not sure that is the number for the 2019 though. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
Thanks! That is what we decided to do. I contacted a few dealers and the price of the second was a lot more reasonable because they actually looked up the build sheet to confirm exactly what we’d need to get a factory standard tow group set up. The other two (first dealer and independent shop) were quoting us in the dark based off what they assumed it would need. And while the independent shop does use factory mopar parts and is well versed in towing, they seemed to be baffled about why a towing vehicle wouldn’t come standard equipped to tow, and their lack of experience with after purchase factory installation makes me hesitant to trust them with the job, even if they use the correct parts.
Thankfully, the TH trim comes equipped with a bumper cut out ready for hitch installation so just the hitch receiver and wiring harness are needed to complete the tow group package to factory standards and I was able to confirm this with the dealer who looked up the build sheet. It will be a little more to go through them but we’d rather do the job right.
Thank you for the insight and tip on the transmission oil change!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.