2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a 2015 Cherokee that we loved. We traded it in with 27,000 miles on it for a factory ordered Limited with every option (tow package included) except the sunroof and high end stereo. It was really neat to get a vehicle with my name on the window sticker.

It is beautiful, quiet and very comfortable for long trips. Visibility is good and all of the features that we had before were present and functional. It also has the highest towing capacity in its class.

There are some aggravations with the controls but I've managed to figure out ways to work through them. Like how the dash dims when it gets cloudy but won't brighten back up quickly. Just annoyances more than anything.

But... There are 2 negatives.

Firstly, when I go to cut across traffic and need acceleration, it takes a second before anything happens. Floor the accelerator, wait half a second and then the vehicle starts to move.
Secondly, and by far the worst one. After about 500 miles, I started hearing a light chunk sound in the left front portion of the suspension. It would occur when I would be on a flat road going about 30 mph and would either lightly depress the accelerator or let off of it. Seeing that the speed limit is 30mph in many places we'd hear it regularly.
Service visit 1 - I took it to the dealership and they replaced the transmission. The sound was still there so I took it back.
Service visit 2 - They replaced the left axle assembly. The sound was still there so I took it back.
Service visit 3 - They let it sit for a week before having me come in and demonstrate the noise. They tried something else.
Service visit 4 - They had it for 90 days. It had been escalated to FCA by this time. They tried a few more things and were at wits end. I went in and we drove a brand new Cherokee and I could make it make the sound too.

In the end they just said that it was a normal transmission sound. It has gotten progressively worse where we now hear it at highway speeds.

So, we have an immaculate loaded Jeep Cherokee Limited with 8+ Carfax reports on it. Anyone who test drives it and hears this noise will not buy it. Trade in value to any dealer other than where we bought it will likely take a hit. I only have an option of trading it in where I bought it and hope that they don't ding me for the reports.

Were I to do it over again, I would not have bought a Cherokee and no one that I work with would either after the fiascos that I've dealt with.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Were I to do it over again, I would not have bought a Cherokee and no one that I work with would either after the fiascos that I've dealt with.
My suggestion: Were you to do it over again, never take anything less than 100% satisfaction with service/warranty issues on a brand new vehicle. Don't let the dealer bully you into "it's normal" kind of speak.

I had a similar issue with the new 2018 Latitude that I bought. There was a vibration in the driveline while accelerating. It spent weeks in the shop having parts thrown at it, with both the dealer and FCA factory technicians working on it. In the end, I filed a lemon law claim and gave them a final opportunity to repair. After some other troubleshooting and testing, the FCA representative wanted to install a new transmission and I declined, instead asking for a replacement vehicle. They agreed and credited the full MSRP of my vehicle toward the MSRP of a replacement. I picked what I wanted and they covered all taxes, tag, title fees, etc. I only paid the difference in MSRP between the 2, and even then, they gave me a credit. I did not pay any mileage charges for the 14,000 miles on the original car. Since my financing was through Chrysler Capital, they even did a substitution of collateral, keeping the original loan untouched...I just continued making payments. My second new 2018 now has almost 70K miles on it and has been completely trouble free. I'm glad I made the effort, even though it took a good bit of time, and Jeep kept a customer happy with the brand.

TL;DR: Make the dealer/manufacturer make it right while you have the leverage to do so. Once your lemon law period is up (varies by state), you take the hit.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
We had a 2015 Cherokee that we loved. We traded it in with 27,000 miles on it for a factory ordered Limited with every option (tow package included) except the sunroof and high end stereo. It was really neat to get a vehicle with my name on the window sticker.

It is beautiful, quiet and very comfortable for long trips. Visibility is good and all of the features that we had before were present and functional. It also has the highest towing capacity in its class.

There are some aggravations with the controls but I've managed to figure out ways to work through them. Like how the dash dims when it gets cloudy but won't brighten back up quickly. Just annoyances more than anything.

But... There are 2 negatives.

Firstly, when I go to cut across traffic and need acceleration, it takes a second before anything happens. Floor the accelerator, wait half a second and then the vehicle starts to move.
Secondly, and by far the worst one. After about 500 miles, I started hearing a light chunk sound in the left front portion of the suspension. It would occur when I would be on a flat road going about 30 mph and would either lightly depress the accelerator or let off of it. Seeing that the speed limit is 30mph in many places we'd hear it regularly.
Service visit 1 - I took it to the dealership and they replaced the transmission. The sound was still there so I took it back.
Service visit 2 - They replaced the left axle assembly. The sound was still there so I took it back.
Service visit 3 - They let it sit for a week before having me come in and demonstrate the noise. They tried something else.
Service visit 4 - They had it for 90 days. It had been escalated to FCA by this time. They tried a few more things and were at wits end. I went in and we drove a brand new Cherokee and I could make it make the sound too.

In the end they just said that it was a normal transmission sound. It has gotten progressively worse where we now hear it at highway speeds.

So, we have an immaculate loaded Jeep Cherokee Limited with 8+ Carfax reports on it. Anyone who test drives it and hears this noise will not buy it. Trade in value to any dealer other than where we bought it will likely take a hit. I only have an option of trading it in where I bought it and hope that they don't ding me for the reports.

still got it? how's it going? only 6 posts, I'm guessing "no"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts