2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to posting, but have been learning a lot on this site since purchasing my Jeep. That being said if I am posting this incorrectly, please let me know! I remember reading a post about fuel economy and some users stating they average 25-25 mpg without issues and others saying they are lucky to get 18-19. Well I have had my Cherokee for nearly about 3 weeks now and think I may have discovered something they may help some others. I drive a decent amount of miles so I am already nearing 1000 miles, and for the first 500ish everything was great and I too was getting the 24-25 mpg. Then suddenly two tanks of gas ago it dropped a decent amount without explanation to the 18-19 mpg. I have not done any mods to my Jeep yet... I also noticed it suddenly felt as though the vehicle had some drag when I let off the accelerator which I had not felt before. I was worried I may have some transmission issues, but I haven't read anything yet about the 21 year having much issue. I have tried to learn everything I could about the ADII but it seems info is lacking... Now to my solution that seems to fix the issue. The ADII does not have a 2 wheel drive lock mode, only the Auto mode as I'm sure everyone knows. That got me thinking about my issue. I started wondering if the front differential was unnecessarily engaging, and I think it was... I came to a complete stop, put the Jeep in Sport mode and drove that way for about 5 miles. I then came to another complete stop and returned the dial to Auto mode. Since doing that the feeling of drag is gone and my fuel economy has returned to the 24-25 mpg. I am wondering if maybe the system just needs to be used from time to time instead of leaving it in Auto all the time. Don't know if this will help anyone else, but it seems to have fixed my problem so I thought I would share in the off chance it could help someone else. Thanks again to everyone here for all the information and experiences you have posted!

Registered
I am new to posting, but have been learning a lot on this site since purchasing my Jeep. That being said if I am posting this incorrectly, please let me know! I remember reading a post about fuel economy and some users stating they average 25-25 mpg without issues and others saying they are lucky to get 18-19. Well I have had my Cherokee for nearly about 3 weeks now and think I may have discovered something they may help some others. I drive a decent amount of miles so I am already nearing 1000 miles, and for the first 500ish everything was great and I too was getting the 24-25 mpg. Then suddenly two tanks of gas ago it dropped a decent amount without explanation to the 18-19 mpg. I have not done any mods to my Jeep yet... I also noticed it suddenly felt as though the vehicle had some drag when I let off the accelerator which I had not felt before. I was worried I may have some transmission issues, but I haven't read anything yet about the 21 year having much issue. I have tried to learn everything I could about the ADII but it seems info is lacking... Now to my solution that seems to fix the issue. The ADII does not have a 2 wheel drive lock mode, only the Auto mode as I'm sure everyone knows. That got me thinking about my issue. I started wondering if the front differential was unnecessarily engaging, and I think it was... I came to a complete stop, put the Jeep in Sport mode and drove that way for about 5 miles. I then came to another complete stop and returned the dial to Auto mode. Since doing that the feeling of drag is gone and my fuel economy has returned to the 24-25 mpg. I am wondering if maybe the system just needs to be used from time to time instead of leaving it in Auto all the time. Don't know if this will help anyone else, but it seems to have fixed my problem so I thought I would share in the off chance it could help someone else. Thanks again to everyone here for all the information and experiences you have posted!
Weird!!! Definitely allow for a break in period of approximately 2000-2500 miles. Keep an eye on it, and if you experience the same thing, maybe have it checked out. Now it could be another story trying to convince them that something is wrong. Good luck, and keep us posted...馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah for sure. It hopefully won't be an ongoing issue. I was thinking that maybe the system, since it is essentially a computer, just kind of needed a smack in the face so to speak. LOL It seems it just got hung up and needed to be shook up a bit. So moving it through the modes seemed to just get it unstuck. That being said it has no other issues at all and I love driving it! I'm hoping this will last me for years.

Registered
Yeah for sure. It hopefully won't be an ongoing issue. I was thinking that maybe the system, since it is essentially a computer, just kind of needed a smack in the face so to speak. LOL It seems it just got hung up and needed to be shook up a bit. So moving it through the modes seemed to just get it unstuck. That being said it has no other issues at all and I love driving it! I'm hoping this will last me for years.
Could be as simple as a software glitch, and nothing a "Magic Flash" usually can't fix. Keep an eye on it...馃槑

Registered
I have a 2021 TH that I have owned since mid-October. My average is slightly over 20MPG, and I drive only in the city, unless I drive on nearby trails. It would be nice to get more than that, but the air conditioning is starting to be used here in Vegas, bringing the average down to 20MPG lately. I'm close to 2500 miles driven (14 when bought).

Registered
Welcome to JCC :)

Well that's kinda weird... and if in fact there is a 'glitch' involving Auto mode, that would be terrible, especially if widespread.

A few things to check though : how was the outside temperature on the day (days) of bad fuel economy ? Any strong winds during that period ? Rain ? I'm asking because AWD engages in all kinds of situations and when it does, MPGs drop (10% easy, perhaps more).

BTW the Cherokee is a FWD platform, so 2WD action happens up front in Auto mode. When AWD engages, it delivers some power to the rear.

Reactions: JeffD

Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite 2.0L, w/factory tow, sunroof, technology group,
Just out of curiosity, was the temperature in the 40s or below? In auto it will not unlock the rear around that point and lower, and you will see a decrease in mpg. Its about 2 to 3 mpg for me.

Registered
Just out of curiosity, was the temperature in the 40s or below? In auto it will not unlock the rear around that point and lower, and you will see a decrease in mpg. Its about 2 to 3 mpg for me.
Great point!!!馃槑

Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite 2.0L, w/factory tow, sunroof, technology group,
That's why I asked about outside temps ;)

Rain and/or headwinds could also be factors.
oh sorry. Missed that part. But good point. :cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to JCC :)

Well that's kinda weird... and if in fact there is a 'glitch' involving Auto mode, that would be terrible, especially if widespread.

A few things to check though : how was the outside temperature on the day (days) of bad fuel economy ? Any strong winds during that period ? Rain ? I'm asking because AWD engages in all kinds of situations and when it does, MPGs drop (10% easy, perhaps more).

BTW the Cherokee is a FWD platform, so 2WD action happens up front in Auto mode. When AWD engages, it delivers some power to the rear.
I live in Texas and it has been nice weather lately. Low 50's overnight and then 70-80 during the day. Slow easy driving since still in break-in and no adverse weather/conditions. Currently it is still running as should. so I'm hoping it was just a fluke. Just wanted to share with the group.

Registered
You must do alot of highway driving to consistently get 24-25 out of a 3.2 Trailhawk I drive a 2019 3.2 trailhawk elite and when it's mostly city I get the rated 18 MPG city. 20 mpg overall if some highway thrown in. Even in the summer. But that's what I expected, and I'm happy with it.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
You must do alot of highway driving to consistently get 24-25 out of a 3.2 Trailhawk I drive a 2019 3.2 trailhawk elite and when it's mostly city I get the rated 18 MPG city. 20 mpg overall if some highway thrown in. Even in the summer. But that's what I expected, and I'm happy with it.
Long time, no see Leadfoot!!! LOL!!!馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I'm probably 70/30 highway/city. I know there are different opinions on this but for the first 1000 to 2000 miles I'm really easy on the throttle to break it in. So I'm sure that a helping too. I just installed the rpm torque tube so we'll see if that has any affect on anything.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts