2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Could someone help with explaining how to move the Gear shifter to N while the vehicle power is off?
Unless you own a Trailhawk, with the transfer case neutral, you can't flat tow, or dolly (2 wheels on the ground). Doing this will destroy the 4x4 system, and the transmission...If yours is FWD, you will have to dolly the front wheels...Also, I don't think it's possible to put the shifter in neutral without the ignition on, in the run position...馃槑

Registered
Unless you own a Trailhawk, with the transfer case neutral, you can't flat tow, or dolly (2 wheels on the ground). Doing this will destroy the 4x4 system, and the transmission...If yours is FWD, you will have to dolly the front wheels...Also, I don't think it's possible to put the shifter in neutral without the ignition on, in the run position...馃槑
Not just Trailhawks, all AD2 Cherokees have a 2-speed transfer case with a Neutral. But OP is asking about transmission Neutral, not AWD Neutral. I know nothing about the flat towing procedure so I'll let others chime in (@AZJeeper ?).

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
all AD2 Cherokees have a 2-speed transfer case with a Neutral.
Ya, I meant that...LOL!!!馃樀鈥嶐煉煠

I would like to know what the OP is trying to do. Just push it around the shop, or towing a disabled KL, or what???馃お

Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
You will need the small button with the N. If your KL doesn't have a low range, then it doesn't have the N. As others have said, no N, then it needs to be dolly towed for a fwd, or put on a trailer for active drive 1. When you go to flat tow, you will actually put it in park. This video shows the process Flat Tow Video.
Gauge Motor vehicle Speedometer Plant Grey

Registered
Thanks I will try it.
Hope it will work with my Trailhawk 2015
It will, but look up "towing Jeep Cherokee death wobble while being towed". There is a wiring kit that addresses that issue (power steering related) I think it also requires either running the Jeep periodicly or a charge connection from the coach to keep the Jeep battery charged. Later model Cherokees don't suffer the DW issue (i believe 2019 and later).

Registered
Thanks I will try it.
Hope it will work with my Trailhawk 2015
Check your Owner's Manual. Your paper copy is likely out of date. The latest electronic version I have for 2015 is 5th Edition, Rev 1. You can download the latest manual from the Jeep Owners' site (when it is up).

Anyway, on page 593 it says:

Before towing, See your authorized dealer for the Mopar flat tow wiring kit.

As @riptyler said, if you don't put in that kit the Cherokee can wobble rather violently and severely damage your steering components. The kit energizes the steering to keep that from happening. 2019+ doesn't have that problem.

Page 598 there is a detailed explanation on how to put an ADII (or AD Lock as in the Trailhawk) power transfer unit into neutral. The thing I take exception to is step 13. If you shift into Park before turning the engine off the transmission can still be spinning and you may hear the parking pawls grinding. I do what all my other FCA vehicles instruct - shut the engine off 1st, then shift into Park. You need to press the brake pedal firmly to make the shift.

Page 600 has the procedure to shift out of neutral.

Best of luck!

Registered
It will, but look up "towing Jeep Cherokee death wobble while being towed". There is a wiring kit that addresses that issue (power steering related) I think it also requires either running the Jeep periodicly or a charge connection from the coach to keep the Jeep battery charged. Later model Cherokees don't suffer the DW issue (i believe 2019 and later).
oh would you look at that haha

Registered
View attachment 221588
4x4 and AD2 as

as mark mentioned, so as long as OP has that(he says he does) then he might consider this kit(I assume it covers 2019 but I do not know for sure)
I had forgotten OP mentionned a 2015 TH in message #6. My bad.

He won't be flat towing it, it was just a general question.

FYI : the flat tow harness is only needed for 2014-18 KLs. Things were ''corrected'' for 2019+ models.

Registered
Hi . Thanks all for clear explanation.
I just want to be prepared in case of malfunction.
Not specific reason.
Thanks
In that case, since it's clearly a "what if" - if you absolutely need to flat tow, do it slowly and keep an eye out for the death wobble. You'll likely be on the end of a tow strap and steering as you go. You can keep the car in Run (but engine off) and the steering will be energized, so really no chance of death wobble.

Reactions: Mark_

Registered
In that case, since it's clearly a "what if" - if you absolutely need to flat tow, do it slowly and keep an eye out for the death wobble. You'll likely be on the end of a tow strap and steering as you go. You can keep the car in Run (but engine off) and the steering will be energized, so really no chance of death wobble.
the steering is only energized if you are in the flat tow mode tho? And because of the TSB thing, wouldnt the steering being powered at engine off EAT the battery lol
if the engine was running Id wonder if they could flat tow a "4x4" unit without neutral case ability

Registered
the steering is only energized if you are in the flat tow mode tho? And because of the TSB thing, wouldnt the steering being powered at engine off EAT the battery lol
if the engine was running Id wonder if they could flat tow a "4x4" unit without neutral case ability
Yes. Needing to running power wires to charge the battery is also a thing, but not required if you start it often enough. As far as letting the engine run, and towing in neutral, it would still mess up the transmission. Even with the engine running in neutral, it won't lubricate everything needed inside.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
Yes. Needing to running power wires to charge the battery is also a thing, but not required if you start it often enough. As far as letting the engine run, and towing in neutral, it would still mess up the transmission. Even with the engine running in neutral, it won't lubricate everything needed inside.
good to know, I Suppose the ptu is the concern there?

Registered
good to know, I Suppose the ptu is the concern there?
The ptu can probably get damaged, but the main issue is the transmission. It won't get the lubrication it needs when being towed in neutral, even with the engine running. When you put the ptu in neutral, it disconnects the wheels from the transmission, so the transmission doesn't turn while being pulled. That's why when you have it engaged properly, you put the transmission in park as one of the last steps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts